• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Sumerian Flood Story

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
For those who insist on being literal about the Bible's flood story, we have a text older then the Bible called the epic of Gilgamesh, which gives a flood account different to the Bible's. It's older, so if we have to literally believe in a flood, why not that one? I argue there's no reason we shouldn't reject the Bible's flood story and accept the Sumerian one. After all, the epic of Gilgamesh says so, and because it's old and claims it, it must be true.

outhouse

Atheistically
theres a flood story for almost all ancient civilizations.

back then they didnt know if it would ever quit raining or not

they did not understand the cycles and when it rained harder then normal they blamed god for it just like the pitiful story that is a lie states.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Well there ya go, an older one. Let's accept that. Madhuri what is the Hindu one?

The Hindu one takes place with the first Das-Avatar (appearance of God on Earth). This Avatar is called Matsya, a Fish.

Here is a very quick summary:

According to legend, the mantri to the king of pre-ancient Dravida, Satyavrata who later becomes known as Manu was washing his hands in a river when a little fish swam into his hands and begged him to save its life. He put it in a jar, which it soon outgrew; he successively moved it to a tank, a river and then the ocean. The fish then warned him that a deluge would occur in a week that would destroy all life. Manu therefore built a boat which the fish towed to a mountaintop when the flood came, and thus he survived along with some "seeds of life" to re-establish life on earth. The Bhagavata Purana narrates the following tale about Vishnu's Matsya incarnation (avatar):- "Long ago, when life first appeared on the earth, a terrible demon terrorized the earth. He prevented sages from performing their rituals and stole the Holy Vedas, taking refuge in a conch shell in the depths of the ocean. Brahma, the creator of the world approached Vishnu for help and the latter immediately assumed the form of a fish and plunged into the ocean. He killed the demon by ripping open his stomach and retrieved the Vedas. Four forms emerged from the demon's stomach representing the four Vedas: Rig Veda, Sama Veda, Atharva Veda, and Yajur Veda."Matsya Summary | BookRags.com

Rainbow Mage

The Hindu one takes place with the first Das-Avatar (appearance of God on Earth). This Avatar is called Matsya, a Fish.

Here is a very quick summary:

According to legend, the mantri to the king of pre-ancient Dravida, Satyavrata who later becomes known as Manu was washing his hands in a river when a little fish swam into his hands and begged him to save its life. He put it in a jar, which it soon outgrew; he successively moved it to a tank, a river and then the ocean. The fish then warned him that a deluge would occur in a week that would destroy all life. Manu therefore built a boat which the fish towed to a mountaintop when the flood came, and thus he survived along with some "seeds of life" to re-establish life on earth. The Bhagavata Purana narrates the following tale about Vishnu's Matsya incarnation (avatar):- "Long ago, when life first appeared on the earth, a terrible demon terrorized the earth. He prevented sages from performing their rituals and stole the Holy Vedas, taking refuge in a conch shell in the depths of the ocean. Brahma, the creator of the world approached Vishnu for help and the latter immediately assumed the form of a fish and plunged into the ocean. He killed the demon by ripping open his stomach and retrieved the Vedas. Four forms emerged from the demon's stomach representing the four Vedas: Rig Veda, Sama Veda, Atharva Veda, and Yajur Veda."Matsya Summary | BookRags.com

I see. I knew about the fish avatar, but not that story with it. Interesting. How literally do Hindus usually take this story? Because I know we Kemetics don't take much of our myths literally.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I see. I knew about the fish avatar, but not that story with it. Interesting. How literally do Hindus usually take this story? Because I know we Kemetics don't take much of our myths literally.

I don't know how many take it literally. I certainly don't!
I grew up with these stories though, and have always placed some level of truth in them. So there might have been a Manu and there might have been a flood, but for the most part, it is an allegorical tale. Vedic scriptures, in certain parts, even explain that the stories (like the creation story) are allegorical, as the human intelligence is not capable of understanding the true reality (at least not at the time that the scripture was compiled).

Rainbow Mage

See in Kemetic mythos it is much the same, because to the Kemetic there is an underlying ultimate reality that doesn't change, similar to your Brahman, and then there are the gods, the facets of that reality. If we were to take our myths literally then our gods literally have bodies of gold and lapis, they literally have bodily fluids, etc. I personally find it hard to take these things literally, but some in my faith do, same as Hinduism.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
See in Kemetic mythos it is much the same, because to the Kemetic there is an underlying ultimate reality that doesn't change, similar to your Brahman, and then there are the gods, the facets of that reality. If we were to take our myths literally then our gods literally have bodies of gold and lapis, they literally have bodily fluids, etc. I personally find it hard to take these things literally, but some in my faith do, same as Hinduism.

Same as with every religion really.

You know the funny thing about Hinduism is that you can find extremely similar beliefs and concepts in it to just about any religion on Earth. From the most monotheistic religions like Christianity, Judaism and Islam, to just about every Pagan religion and any Eastern religion. It seems to incorporate all these various beliefs, and tie them together in its own unique way.

That's why I find all these other religions to be unsatisfactory for me- they all seem incomplete...

Nooj

none
For those who insist on being literal about the Bible's flood story, we have a text older then the Bible called the epic of Gilgamesh, which gives a flood account different to the Bible's. It's older, so if we have to literally believe in a flood, why not that one? I argue there's no reason we shouldn't reject the Bible's flood story and accept the Sumerian one. After all, the epic of Gilgamesh says so, and because it's old and claims it, it must be true.
The Sumerian version is a corrupted version. The Bible accurately records it. Just because it's older doesn't mean it's more accurate. The Biblical writers were inspired by God, so the question of age is irrelevant.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
The Sumerian version is a corrupted version. The Bible accurately records it. Just because it's older doesn't mean it's more accurate. The Biblical writers were inspired by God, so the question of age is irrelevant.

And using the same logic: just because the Bible records it doesn't mean it's accurate ;)

outhouse

Atheistically

:facepalm:

well since what the bible states its a lie and never happened because its fiction

does that mean all the flood versions around the world are fiction???

Rainbow Mage

Are you kidding me? The Bible's version according to Jewish scholars was borrowed from the Babylonians and inserted into the book of Genesis by Ezra, who compiled much of the written Torah. Know what the Babylonian flood story was? The same as the Sumerian. We don't have the Sumerian text of the epic of Gilgamesh, but we know it was originally Sumerian, because the text contains many proofs it was.

gnostic

The Lost One
madhuri said:
How old is the Sumerian story?
Is it older than the Hindu version?

I don't know about Hindu version. My knowledge is sadly lacking in Hinduism.

How old is the Hindu version? What is the oldest writing in India? When?

As to the Sumerian version.

The Sumerian began writing as far back as 3100-3000 BCE. Clay tablets and cuneiforms were their writing system, written on clay tablets, and inscriptions were written on stone, tablets, etc.

However much of their early writing were inventory, like accounting, and inscriptions about their kings. Sumerian literature on religious and mythological themes didn't flower until 2500 BCE and onward (hence 4500 years ago), until Sumerian literature died out about 1700 BCE. The Sumerian civilisation had actually died out earlier, around 2000 BCE, but Sumerian writing for religious or mythological matters, persisted centuries longer, before it was completely replaced by Babylonian language (Old Babylonian to be more precise).

However, much of these literature were based on oral traditions, and lots of their oral traditions predated their writings.

Gilgamesh seemed to be historical king, flourishing between 2700-2500 BCE. But the legends sprouted about this king, at first through oral traditions, before 5 Sumerian poems (could be more than 5, but 5 are still extant today).

Ziusudra, the original Flood hero, is mention several times, and the flood is alluded to in the Sumerian Gilgamesh poem, which is titled The Death of Gilgamesh. These poems have been dated to around 2300-2100 BCE.

Death of Gilgames said:
After Lord Gilgameš had arrived at the assembly, the pre-eminent place of the gods, they said to Lord Gilgameš concerning him: "As regards your case: after having travelled all the roads that there are, having fetched cedar, the unique tree, from its mountains, having killed Huwawa in his forest, you set up many stelae for future days, for days to come. Having founded many temples of the gods, you reached Zi-ud-sura in his {dwelling place} {(1 ms. has instead:) place}. Having brought down to the Land the divine powers of Sumer, which at that time were forgotten forever, the orders, and the rituals, he (?) carried out correctly the rites of hand washing and mouth washing …….

Actual mentions of flood are found here:

Death of Gilgames said:
Enlil's advice was given to Enki. Enki answered An and Enlil: "In those days, in those distant days, in those nights, in those distant nights, in those years, in those distant years, after the assembly had made the Flood sweep over to destroy the seed of mankind, among us I was the only one who was for life (?), and so he remained alive (?) -- Zi-ud-sura, although (?) a human being, remained alive (?). Then you made me swear by heaven and by earth, and …… that no human will be allowed to live forever (?) any more. Now, as we look at Gilgameš, could not he escape because of his mother?"

Death of Gilgames said:
Gilgameš ……. Enlil's advice was given to Enki. Enki answered An and Enlil: "In those days, in those distant days, in those nights, in those distant nights, in those years, in those distant years, after the assembly had made the Flood sweep over to destroy the seed of mankind ……, among us I was the only one who was for life (?). He remained alive (?); Zi-ud-sura alone, although (?) a human being, remained alive (?). Then you made me swear by heaven and by earth, and I swore that no human will be allowed to live forever (?) any more. Now, as we look at Gilgameš, could not he escape because of his mother?"

It is not much, but this poem is the oldest mention (that we have currently) about Ziusudra and the Flood.

You will find the complete translation here:
I have translation of these 5 Sumerian poems of Gilgamesh in the book, called The Epic Of Gilagmesh: A New Translation, below is the detail:
Andrew George
The Epic Of Gilagmesh: A New Translation
Penguin Classics, 1999
This books have many different translations of Gilgamesh, but the best version is known as the Standard Version, that has 10 tablets, but it was written in around Neo-Assyrian period (about 7th century BCE), and found in the Library of Nineveh.

There is also the Sumerian poem about the Flood legend, often known as the Eridu Genesis. Translation of the Eridu Genesis can be found here:
The Akkadian version or the Old Babylonian version of Ziusudra, where the hero is known Atrahasis, has a title called - the Epic of Atrahasis. Gilgamesh is not mention at all, in this poem, but it would seem that the source for this epic, is most likely from the Eridu Genesis. Translation for Atrahasis is found here:
Again, I have translation in a book; details below:
Stephanie Dalley
Myths From Mesopotamia
Oxford World's Classics, 1989
Sorry, for the long post.

Archer

From my reading Ballard found evidence of a great (THE GREAT) flood and it dates back~9000 years. What need be understood is the Bible never said world wide flood. It was a regional flood that wiped most of the populated areas of the time. The bulk of the deluge came from the black sea.

Forty many times was not a number but an unspecified number.

gnostic

The Lost One
archer said:
From my reading Ballard found evidence of a great (THE GREAT) flood and it dates back~9000 years. What need be understood is the Bible never said world wide flood. It was a regional flood that wiped most of the populated areas of the time. The bulk of the deluge came from the black sea.

Forty many times was not a number but an unspecified number.
The Black Sea Deluge (BSD) is still not verified theory, Archer, but the theory does have some merits.

However, relating the biblical flood with BSD is totally without merit or support. And the main reason is timeline.

According to the calculation of the Bible dating, the Creation happened a little less than 6000 years ago, so that would date the creation of Adam, after 4000 BCE. Correct?

And according to the Genesis, the Flood happened precisely 1656 years after the creation of Adam. So that would date the Flood anywhere between 2340 BCE and 2100 BCE. Most experts favoured 2340 BCE for Noah's Flood, so I will use this figure.

Do you know when they have dated BSD?

Roughly about 5700 BCE. That's 7700 years ago.

Global or not. There's absolutely NO WAY IN HELL that you can equate the Black Sea Deluge with the Noah's Flood. There is over 3300 years difference between the 2 different floods.

Last edited:

Rainbow Mage

I'd much sooner accept something like the Black Sea Theory if we must be literal then accept a global flood.

Archer

The Black Sea Deluge (BSD) is still not verified theory, Archer, but the theory does have some merits.

However, relating the biblical flood with BSD is totally without merit or support. And the main reason is timeline.

According to the calculation of the Bible dating, the Creation happened a little less than 6000 years ago, so that would date the creation of Adam, after 4000 BCE. Correct?

And according to the Genesis, the Flood happened precisely 1656 years after the creation of Adam. So that would date the Flood anywhere between 2340 BCE and 2100 BCE. Most experts favoured 2340 BCE for Noah's Flood, so I will use this figure. Sometimes men manipulate things to make them more believable to an audience and that is what I see many times with the Bible. Red Sea and Reid Sea for example. Thou shall not Kill when it clearly says murder. On and on. The bible is best read with an open mind and only secular reference materials other than a concordance.

Do you know when they have dated BSD?

Roughly about 5700 BCE. That's 7700 years ago.

Global or not. There's absolutely NO WAY IN HELL that you can equate the Black Sea Deluge with the Noah's Flood. There is over 3300 years difference between the 2 different floods.

For some reason I was thinking 7000BC and it was 7000 years ago:( But yes I believe that is the flood spoken of in Genesis.

As to the dating? Well it can't be both ways. Myself and many others put no faith in the scholars and we do not accept any dating of our Holy Book. All of the OT stories have truth and some are factual as well.

Last edited:

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony

Ignorance is bliss I see....:facepalm: