• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Sword of Guru Gobind Singh and the Sword of Mohammed

ax0547

Sat Sri Akal
I am quoting this article written by my firend in oder to clarify the difference between the Kahlsa and Jihad, which at times could be confusing to newcomers- :

The Sword of Guru Gobind Singh and the Sword of Mohammed
Share - Aricle by Simran Singh
Wednesday, August 27, 2008 at 12:55pm
The history of Sikh-muslim relations has often been bloody and shaped by misunderstanding. While the subject of their interactions and conflicts is interesting, I would like to focus on the intriguing similarities and ideological differences between the two faiths, and gain a better understanding of their conditions today.

Islam is a religion founded in the 7th century by the Prophet Mohammed, who muslims believe had revelations from God that are now preserved in the Holy Quran. It is an important historical note that the Holy Quran was compiled after Mohammed’s death. At the center of Islam’s belief system is an unflinching conviction in an all-powerful, single God named Allah, and an insistence that Mohammed is Allah’s last messenger.

The message of Islam is that we are to pray at least five times a day, and ultimately engage in constant remembrance God in order to dissolve our sense of pride and thus attain oneness with Allah. Giving 5% of one’s income to charity, called Zakat, is also encouraged, as well as a pilgramage to Mecca If one can afford. Jihad, perhaps the most visible and emphasized aspect of Islam in the media, is the struggle of man against unrighteousness.

Before submitting to preconceived notions concerning the concept of Jihad, in the Quran, Mohammed has declared the greater Jihad to be internal—the art of perfecting oneself. The minor Jihad is expelling disbelief and paganism, a type of Jihad that Mohammed, during his lifetime, appeared to give sanction to and participate in.

On an ideological basis, Sikhism is very similar to Islam, believing in consant remembrance of God, charity, and self-perfection. While no place is given status as holy, the Sikhs also have a center at Amritsar. However, I would like to focus on the martial traditions of the two faiths, namely, the concept of Jihad vs the concept of Khalsa.

While Islam has a visible martial tradition, is it exactly the same as the tradition inspired within Sikhism by the 10th Guru? Allama Mohammed Iqbal claims in a poem:

“In the land where the Quran and Sword were snatched from the muslims by the Khalsa,”

By this statement, Iqbal has stated that the Khalsa captured the moral mandate originally given to the muslims by Mohammed, and thus were victorious against the muslim rulers of the time, who did not practice pure Islam. Iqbal claims that the Khalsa was victorious because they embodied the principles of true Islam.

I disagree with this statement. The martial tradition within Sikhism has a completely different basis and purpose than the martial tradition within Islam. While the two faiths share similar beliefs in prayer and remembrance of God, the concept of Khalsa is different from the concept of Jihad within Islam.

A Khalsa is only given the moral right to raise the sword when there is provocation, and all methods of diplomacy have failed. It is important to note that paganism and idol-worship are not adequate provocations that justify use of physical force. In fact, the 9th Guru of the Sikhs defended the right of Hindus to worship as they please, even if they denied the one, all-powerful God that Sikhs pay homage to.

It is true that the greater fight within Sikhism is also internal. However, the sword is only used to quell crimes against humanity, and not spread the religion of Sikhism. No one has ever been forced to convert to Sikhism. The same cannot be said of Islam, whose history includes violent conversion particularly in the Indian subcontinent.

Islam is indeed a beautiful faith, but like all powerful ideas, it has been used to promote violence. Sikhism has had the benefit of having its doctrines put into code by its own founders, and thus the moral boundaries of the use of force are clearly defined. Perhaps the 10th Guru, Guru Gobind Singh, even before Voltaire, lived the statement:

“I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”

The legendary Guru, with all of his power, fought for freedom of religion—amazingly to defend a religion he did not personally believe in—and thus truly fought to the death for the rights of humanity. While the martial tradition within Islam is noble, one finds no parallel to the forward-looking and humanitarian martial tradition within the Khalsa.

It is unfortunate that Sikhs have not realized the value of their faith—it is perhaps the only faith whose scripture was written by the founders themselves, and thus the guidelines for the dangerous concept of raising the sword clearly defined. Thus in my view, on a moral basis, the concept of Khalsa surpasses the concept of Jihad.