• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Trinity

Walkntune

Everyone knows the KJV translates Phillippians 2 wrong. Most translations I've ever read say he didn't hold equality with God something to be grasped, or otherwise we could say- something within his reach, but took on the station of a servant. That isn't saying he's god either.
Share what translation you would like to use

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Any translation is fine by me, I just thought I'd point out that the KJV isn't well translated. The KJV also contains other translation errors, such as 1 John 5:7 which isn't even a verse.

Walkntune

Any translation is fine by me, I just thought I'd point out that the KJV isn't well translated. The KJV also contains other translation errors, such as 1 John 5:7 which isn't even a verse.
Well in this case I guess you can make the Bible suit any belief you have??

Rainbow Mage

I don't really consider the KJV to be what I'd call an accurate translation. So I'm not sure what you mean. It's the worst translation there is, most modern day Bible scholars acknowledge this. All I'm saying is, you're using a faulty Bible translation to prove something, that otherwise isn't there.

Walkntune

I don't really consider the KJV to be what I'd call an accurate translation. So I'm not sure what you mean. It's the worst translation there is, most modern day Bible scholars acknowledge this. All I'm saying is, you're using a faulty Bible translation to prove something, that otherwise isn't there.

Well please give me the proper English translation to read or are you saying God doesn't care about the English speaking???

Rainbow Mage

I'd suggest maybe the NAB or the NRSV. Those are good ones. Are you saying you think God would give people a perfect english Bible? The Bible wasn't written in english.

A

angellous_evangellous

I don't think that this is the case.

The KJV is unreliable not in its translation, which is excellent, but in its textual theory.

I would suggest the Oxford NRSV or the English Standard for a modern translation, but even these have their limits.

Walkntune

I'd suggest maybe the NAB or the NRSV. Those are good ones. Are you saying you think God would give people a perfect english Bible? The Bible wasn't written in english.

Well if you wanted someone to know who you are and have the ability to tell them would you? Would you allow someone's soul to rest in a bunch of guess work of interpretation?

A

angellous_evangellous

Well if you wanted someone to know who you are and have the ability to tell them would you? Would you allow someone's soul to rest in a bunch of guess work of interpretation?

This is why the evangelical dependence on Scripture [inerrancy and infalliability] must lead to atheism.

Walkntune

This is why the evangelical dependence on Scripture [inerrancy and infalliability] must lead to atheism.

Actually it is why true Christians only stand on the revealed word of God and its why the Holy Spirit is called the Spirit of truth and guides all into truth. All truth is only revealed by the Spirit and scriptual interpretations mean nothing.

But if it came down to being under bondage of the laws of scripture instead of walking in Love then it would be better to be an atheist.

Rainbow Mage

How can you say Christianity should be based solely on the Bible alone when Christians didn't have a Bible for nearly 350 years, they had the Jewish scriptures?

Rainbow Mage

Yeah but that's just a statement you made with very little basis in history or the history of Christianity. Christians had to have some kind of authoritative to tradition to know what the Apostles taught before they had a complete Bible.

Walkntune

Yeah but that's just a statement you made with very little basis in history or the history of Christianity. Christians had to have some kind of authoritative to tradition to know what the Apostles taught before they had a complete Bible.
Remeber the veil was torn my friend when Jesus died on the cross.This signified people could come directly to the throne of grace without having to rely on a Priest to mediate.
This also means they no longer obeyed the old testament out of law. They obeyed it out of love and was led by the Spirit into all truth.

Rainbow Mage

Yes, but what does that have to do with historical facts of what Christianity was and what it became?

Muffled

Jesus in me
Everyone knows the KJV translates Phillippians 2 wrong. Most translations I've ever read say he didn't hold equality with God something to be grasped, or otherwise we could say- something within his reach, but took on the station of a servant. That isn't saying he's god either.

I have a thread on Religious Debates: "Did Jesus say He was God."

All three members of the Trinity are God. That is what they have in common making them a trinity.

God has no equal. To say that Jesus is equal with God is to say that He is God. First of all God does not have a form, so the word is just a filler. The paraphrase that I have says the essence or nature of God which fits better. The idea of "grasped" here is that of holding tight to something without being willing to let it go and fits in with the compamion phrase of "emptied Himself." That is most likely an expression of how much of a condescension it was for God to inhabit a human body. The reality is that God did not have to relinquish His nature to enter the body of Jesus and the scriptures prove this.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Well if you wanted someone to know who you are and have the ability to tell them would you? Would you allow someone's soul to rest in a bunch of guess work of interpretation?[/quote]

There is a presuppostion here that this verse would be instrumental in salvation but that is not necessarily the case. The KJV was sufficient to lead me to salvation and I ma sure that I am not the only one. However now that I have matured in my faith God will point out nuances and less than perfect translations to me so that I can achieve an even better understanding of scripture. In a way scripture is like the Law of Moses acting as a tutor until we come into a relationship with Jesus and the Spirit of God takes over from there. However the Spirit just like Jesus does not dispose of scripture but enhances it and uses it to His own purpoese.

Walkntune

Well if you wanted someone to know who you are and have the ability to tell them would you? Would you allow someone's soul to rest in a bunch of guess work of interpretation?[/quote]

There is a presuppostion here that this verse would be instrumental in salvation but that is not necessarily the case. The KJV was sufficient to lead me to salvation and I ma sure that I am not the only one. However now that I have matured in my faith God will point out nuances and less than perfect translations to me so that I can achieve an even better understanding of scripture. In a way scripture is like the Law of Moses acting as a tutor until we come into a relationship with Jesus and the Spirit of God takes over from there. However the Spirit just like Jesus does not dispose of scripture but enhances it and uses it to His own purpoese.

So maybe we both agree that only the revealed word of God is the true word no matter the translation?