• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The use of money, the use of gods

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
So the other day (yesterday maybe?) I posted a thread about how gods are concepts, concepts exist, and therefore gods exist. I was asked by many why this was important at all, as it seems almost redundant (if not seen as simply silly). Yet, a great example was brought up in that thread in that money is nothing more than a concept brought into the real world. There is no inherent, objective value to money. You may argue that $20 to me is $20 to you, but this is irrelevant between cultures and becomes most clear when we look at cultures that do not even use money. Yet the impact money has had on the objective world is undeniable. The world as we know it and have known it for all recorded time would be drastically altered if money ceased to exist. This can be said of gods as well, possibly to a greater extent. They are concepts that can become as close to real as it can be without objective existence. Without humans, no money. They can also cause the same amount of measurable change in individuals and on societies in general. There is no difference except that money is materialistic and gods are psychological. To say that gods do not exist because they are "only concepts" would be the same as saying the money does not exist because it is only a concept.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Except that money does exist outside of being a concept.

To an extent. Without minds then "money" would become nothing, it would not exist. Quite possibly the same with gods.

catch22

So was this about money (I think you mean currency, anyway), or God?

I think, therefore, I am? Trying to convince a philosopher he's real is enough of a challenge...