• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Theists, Believers of all kinds...

KittensAngel

Boldly Proudly Not PC
What would you tell someone, how would you approach the topic, of faith, religion, spirituality, if challenged to convince an atheist your personal philosophy regarding your religion, faith, spirituality, is a positive influence on and for a personal life?

Last night friends got together and we were talking about the politics and headlines feeding across the television screen, in banner fashion, as MSNBC was on air in the TV room but on mute. And someone asked, as the conversations turned to radicalism, pacifism (in faith systems), and the divergent beliefs that seem to bring conflict to people and regions as each side not only seems to take sides but feels the need to defend what's personal , as if the whole worlds future also depends on an outcome.

So then someone quipped, at least the atheists don't have a dog in the fight. :p (Excluding the retort, well they do because there's a history of Communism! As atheism is not a political ideology) Which today got me to thinking of the aforementioned question. So here it is.

Thanks for reading and your sincere input. :)

Try to forget religious view as a duty to a deity(s) and as historical viewpoint on how people creating the religion survived. Take the writing and ideology as just that, ideas. Take it as teachings from the past, divine or not.

I believe in peace. For me, my family, and my fellow man. Whatever religion, race, or sex you are. So for me its not about praying to a god or following certain traditions. its about being righteous and honest because its the right thing to do

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The silence says everything! Thank you so much. :)
This isn't a particularly high-traffic subforum. It would be unlikely to get a ton of responses in here.

Theists and religious people in general would likely do pretty well, actually, at explaining why their personal religious philosophy has positive personal effects compared to how they would do at explaining why their belief system is objectively true.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I fail to see where the remark, "at least the atheists don't have a dog in the fight," warranted convincing an atheist your personal philosophy regarding your religion, faith, spirituality, is a positive influence on and for a personal life?

Why do you feel it did?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
A bit impatient are we?

I was wondering a few things...

1. Why would your "Personal" philosophy be a topic?
  2. If it is "personal" why do you need to defend it?
  3. What does the "challenge" prove?
  4. If you "win" the challenge does that make your "personal" philosophy some how more right?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
What would you tell someone, how would you approach the topic, of faith, religion, spirituality, if challenged to convince an atheist your personal philosophy regarding your religion, faith, spirituality, is a positive influence on and for a personal life?

Last night friends got together and we were talking about the politics and headlines feeding across the television screen, in banner fashion, as MSNBC was on air in the TV room but on mute. And someone asked, as the conversations turned to radicalism, pacifism (in faith systems), and the divergent beliefs that seem to bring conflict to people and regions as each side not only seems to take sides but feels the need to defend what's personal , as if the whole worlds future also depends on an outcome.

So then someone quipped, at least the atheists don't have a dog in the fight. :p (Excluding the retort, well they do because there's a history of Communism! As atheism is not a political ideology) Which today got me to thinking of the aforementioned question. So here it is.

Thanks for reading and your sincere input. :)
What is you're beleif? Next to religion you put "myself", so I'm not clear on your position.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I'd turn it around on them, betting that every positive they can list for atheism applies to my own beliefs.

I don't react well to bullies. :D

elmarna

While a opinionated person is steadfast in their objectivity, I would not mind the positive perspectives being maintained. The negativity is what I tire of when it serves no purpose to over critisize a concern if you are not willing to manage & address them!
I tend to listen to everyone. The basis of their beliefs where their faith comes from is just a objectivity I may not see without their awareness.
As for them saying it is the only way to see is where I could not support them.
The saddness for some of them is while I am able to listen & try to see some of them can not do this when so stanch in their faith!

Well, my faith is founded on the idea of humanity, what it means to be human, to be humane. It centers on the idea of an innate goodness and potential, and on the cultivation of that potential and humane-ness (compassion, kindness, love, wisdom, etc). It is a belief that isn't confined to barriers, and is open and inclusive to all different affiliations and persuasions, in terms of religious opinion (I am pluralistic and syncretic, with a deep admiration and respect for the various faiths of the world). It celebrates goodness and truth wherever it is found, and cherishes the humanity and potential in all people. My personal faith respects and even pulls from the various religions of the world, a well as from science and other studies. With virtues such as love and compassion as the very foundation of my beliefs, it would go against my whole being to endorse anything cruel or inhumane towards others, so any kind of religious violence is not supported, but any kind of goodness and kindness is valued, regardless of where it came from.

I believe in goodness, that's basically what it boils down to. The goodness of each and every person, and the goodness of God, Who I believe is love and reflects a fully realized humanity (meaning a Deity Who is compassionate and loving and all of the good things we ourselves can be). There is no room for negativity in my personal beliefs. :)

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Well, my faith is founded on the idea of humanity, what it means to be human, to be humane. It centers on the idea of an innate goodness and potential, and on the cultivation of that potential and humane-ness (compassion, kindness, love, wisdom, etc). It is a belief that isn't confined to barriers, and is open and inclusive to all different affiliations and persuasions, in terms of religious opinion (I am pluralistic and syncretic, with a deep admiration and respect for the various faiths of the world). It celebrates goodness and truth wherever it is found, and cherishes the humanity and potential in all people. My personal faith respects and even pulls from the various religions of the world, a well as from science and other studies. With virtues such as love and compassion as the very foundation of my beliefs, it would go against my whole being to endorse anything cruel or inhumane towards others, so any kind of religious violence is not supported, but any kind of goodness and kindness is valued, regardless of where it came from.

I believe in goodness, that's basically what it boils down to. The goodness of each and every person, and the goodness of God, Who I believe is love and reflects a fully realized humanity (meaning a Deity Who is compassionate and loving and all of the good things we ourselves can be). There is no room for negativity in my personal beliefs. :)

Couldn't an atheist hold all those exact same views? I'm sure many do.

Couldn't an atheist hold all those exact same views? I'm sure many do.
Well not exactly the same, since Atheist don't believe in God - but all of that minus the God bit, sure. I tend to be humanistic in my beliefs, and I do believe that the basic, fundamental truth is available to all people, regardless of religious affiliation or persuasion.

I have realized that if I were to decide I don't believe in God my beliefs wouldn't change much at all....