• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things that fall apart?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I recently have been using some boots (Hi-Tec) for a few months that I had not used for some years as preferring others to use in general. Well, as often happens, the sole came away drastically on one boot and lo and behold the other also almost simultaneously did the same but to a lesser extent. So congratulations to the manufacturers for judging the life of whatever adhesive they used - hardly any seemingly. But I suppose we get what we pay for.

Anything similar happen to you?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I sometimes unwittingly buy products that are crap.
I try to buy things that last.
Example....
Waxed cotton raincoats last longer than
Goretex or other such synthetic materials.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I sometimes unwittingly buy products that are crap.
I try to buy things that last.
Example....
Waxed cotton raincoats last longer than
Goretex or other such synthetic materials.
I try to do the same but so often one product just seems the better out of the bunch to choose. Much is bought online so perhaps if I had seen them in a shop I might have been more suspicious. They were OK to wear and no doubt I could fix them but I probably won't.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I had an extremely comfortable pair of hiking boots which earlier this year the heels began to disintegrate within a fortnight of each other. I bought them in Ambleside back in 2007, although getting worn they lasted well.

Last edited:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I had an extremely comfortable pair of hiking boots which earlier this year the heels began to disintegrate within a fortnight of each other. I bought them in Ambleside back in 2007, although getting worn they lasted well.
These boots were more for the garden, being quite tall and warm, so not intended for much walking. I used to have leather Zamberlan boots for all walking and mountaineering and these were comfortable and lasted well.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
These boots were more for the garden, being quite tall and warm, so not intended for much walking. I used to have leather Zamberlan boots for all walking and mountaineering and these were comfortable and lasted well.

I'm not sure it's available in the UK, it probably is but i don't remember seeing it. Here you can buy an adhesive specially for resticking soles to shoes and boots.

Could be handy to get another year or two out of the boots.

It's made by Sader but other companies must make it too.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I recently have been using some boots (Hi-Tec) for a few months that I had not used for some years as preferring others to use in general. Well, as often happens, the sole came away drastically on one boot and lo and behold the other also almost simultaneously did the same but to a lesser extent. So congratulations to the manufacturers for judging the life of whatever adhesive they used - hardly any seemingly. But I suppose we get what we pay for.

Anything similar happen to you?
Yep. Planned obsolescence. It's the norm now.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Yep. Planned obsolescence. It's the norm now.
It could be so, unless as pointed out, one goes for quality allied to a well known and reputable brand - which is what I try to do when the product has to fulfill its role and not die unexpectedly. On this occasion it might just have been a manufacturing fault, but probably not.