• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things You Don't Learn at School: Game Theory

Heyo

Veteran Member
Game Theory is the formalised application of empathy.
It seems to me that this art has been lost judging by recent political actions and statements.

Do you agree?

Did you learn about Game Theory?

Do you play any games, like Chess or GO, where you have to anticipate your opponents moves?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It seems to me that this art has been lost judging by recent political actions and statements.

Do you agree?

Do you play any games, like Chess or GO, where you have to anticipate your opponents moves?
I loved the chess club. I had a great time

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
My Political Economics professor was obsessed with Game theory.
I think economists, sociologists try to study the human behavior, as if we were all clones. We are not. We are light years away different than one another, and that creates the law of attraction. Which is present in chemistry too.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
I think economists, sociologists try to study the human behavior, as if we were all clones. We are not. We are light years away different than one another, and that creates the law of attraction. Which is present in chemistry too.

We're more alike then dissimilar, imo.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member

Do you agree?

Nope,.I did not learn about game theory. What little I know of it is in passing probably through my once fleeting interest in video game.deisgn.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member

Do you agree?

My father actually tried (in vain) to teach me how to play chess when I was a child.
Never caught on.

Though I feel like the various “philosophy/religious” lessons that my mother got me to go to helped in that area. Ironically enough they were hosted by a relatively generalised sect of Christianity (I’m a born Hindu and there’s a lot of bad blood between the two, trust me. It’s messy.)
Though I feel like I learnt the most about “game theory” from my older cousin, an English teacher by trade. Because he would always get me to play Devil’s Advocate in any discussion we had, sober or not lol

Heyo

Veteran Member
I think economists, sociologists try to study the human behavior, as if we were all clones.
Yes, that is a systemic flaw of the simple application of Game Theory, it assumes a rational answer (and that the opponent play by the same rules and has the same goal).
But if you go deeper, you also anticipate irrational answers (and their probability). That is the rational behind stochastic terrorism. You have a big range of players and you have to calculate that the reactions will have a big range. Do you think the Justices have anticipated the reaction to their recent rulings?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Do you agree?

I don't recall any formal study of game theory back when I was in school. If the topic was ever covered, it wasn't called "game theory."

I don't play games as much as I used to.

Watchmen

Premium Member
I would play chess with my teen son via an app on our phones. He would crush me. Every. Single. Time. I thought he was a savant.

It was months before I learned that he had a second chess app running in the background and set at “master” level. He would input my moves into the second app then copy the “master” AI’s move. I didn’t know whether to be angry or be proud. Maybe a little of both!

Heyo

Veteran Member
I would play chess with my teen son via an app on our phones. He would crush me. Every. Single. Time. I thought he was a savant.

It was months before I learned that he had a second chess app running in the background and set at “master” level. He would input my moves into the second app then copy the “master” AI’s move. I didn’t know whether to be angry or be proud. Maybe a little of both!
An important lesson: breaking or bending the rules will help you win - but you have to take into account that nobody will play with you if you are known as a cheater.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner

That entirely depends on if he refers to it as a Kobayashi Maru or not.:p

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, that is a systemic flaw of the simple application of Game Theory, it assumes a rational answer (and that the opponent play by the same rules and has the same goal).
But if you go deeper, you also anticipate irrational answers (and their probability). That is the rational behind stochastic terrorism. You have a big range of players and you have to calculate that the reactions will have a big range. Do you think the Justices have anticipated the reaction to their recent rulings?

Well, I suppose if it's a political game, then it might have some random elements to consider, including accounting for the irrational and expecting the unexpected.

I remember this quote from Marlon Brando in The Formula which does have some measure of truth to it:

• Adam Steiffel, Chairman Titan Oil : Human beings, my friend, are a very complex paradox. Very, very dangerous. They don't wanna' be leaders, they wanna' be followers. I mean, they... they can't wait to find some nut, who they think is just wonderful, to tell them what to do. And they all wanna' be brought under control. And some of that awesome burden has fallen on my sagging shoulders. I didn't ask for it, and I don't enjoy it, but I accept it... because I have a strong sense of duty.

Through much of human history, controlling people and populations was a much simpler process, back during times when society was more sparsely-populated, agrarian, and pastoral. Industrialization and urbanization changed all that, and one of the results of that is that it has become more and more difficult for the political leadership to keep the herd under control, so to speak.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
An important lesson: breaking or bending the rules will help you win - but you have to take into account that nobody will play with you if you are known as a cheater.

Or even worse than that, if these guys catch you cheating.

98e2ca2fce2130db5680b1c3efb6787e.jpg

joe1776

From hours spent playing Bridge and Poker -- Life Lesson Number One:

Life deals the hands, some good, some bad. Skillful players accept the hand dealt stoically. They learn to minimize the loss when dealt a bad hand and to maximize the gain when dealt a good one.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Through much of human history, controlling people and populations was a much simpler process, back during times when society was more sparsely-populated, agrarian, and pastoral. Industrialization and urbanization changed all that, and one of the results of that is that it has become more and more difficult for the political leadership to keep the herd under control, so to speak.
And yet, rulers didn't anticipate moves by their subjects throughout history. Slave rebellions in ancient Rome, peasant wars in the middle ages and the Renaissance, the French Revolution. When you don't know or don't want to know how your people are feeling, your days as a ruler are counted.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
And yet, rulers didn't anticipate moves by their subjects throughout history. Slave rebellions in ancient Rome, peasant wars in the middle ages and the Renaissance, the French Revolution. When you don't know or don't want to know how your people are feeling, your days as a ruler are counted.

Well, of course, humans are funny creatures - hard to predict. And some leaders (such as in ancient Rome and the middle ages) were pretty stubborn and foolhardy.

It was still simpler, though, largely because their numbers were fewer and their weapons did far less damage. Obviously, they couldn't prevent all uprisings, but by the time it got to the French Revolution, a minor peasant uprising could lead to a major war across a continent.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Do you agree?

Empathy?
Not in go.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Especially in GO. But I think we are talking about different kinds of empathy. I mean the ability to assume the opponents position to anticipate her move. I guess there is an other word than empathy?
Better play is to anticipate a range of responses, especially
the strongest move, ie, play the game, not the person.