• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Third Principle

EverChanging

The third principle states:

Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;

What does this principle mean to you, particularly the part in blue? How should one encourage others to spiritual growth in the congregation? Does promoting this principle in one's life require at least a minimum amount of participation in the congregation? Or could one attend once a year and contribute financially? After all, contributing financially is a part of keeping the community going which nourishes spiritual growth.

How active in a congregation should one be to encourage this spiritual growth in others? What other ways can the principle be affirmed and lived out?

J Bryson

I wouldn't turn down the financial contribution, but I'm not sure how much it helps for the person donating to not be involved in the church. I've always taken the encouragement to spiritual growth as meaning that we provide a forum for discussion and further exploration of one's developing spiritual awareness, as well as sermons and classes that can provide further insight depending on what one feels like taking away from them. Also, projects that assist the local community and promote social justice can help one to feel that he or she is making a real and lasting difference in the world through working in concert with other people.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
To me the words in blue refer to holding each other accountable. Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth. Like many of our principles, it is trying to strike a balance. Acceptance of one another is a fine ideal. It provides a safe space where people can be themselves without fear of being rejected. However, if that were all there was to it, it could encourage moral laziness and self-absorption. I could be utterly self-centered, ignore the needs of others and otherwise annoying, and you would have to "accept" me because I'm being "me." (How many of us know people like that?) Adding the "encouragement to spiritual growth" part means that, while you do not reject/condemn me for being less than perfect, there is room to suggest that maybe I should try harder. :p Otoh, if you continually encourage growth without at the same time expressing acceptance, that can be demoralizing, not soul growing.

The "in our congregations" part emphasizes that this is relational. Spiritual practice and growth does not happen by oneself. In fact, a significant number of UUs, including myself, would argue that one cannot be a UU in isolation. One can only be a UU as part of a community. Of course one can agree with our principles in isolation, but as others on RF have pointed out, lots of people agree with our principles. They in and of themselves do not define Unitarian Universalism. What we are left with is that we are covenental. We covenant to hold each other aacountable to our principles.

EverChanging

In fact, a significant number of UUs, including myself, would argue that one cannot be a UU in isolation.

Then what do you think of the Church of the Larger Fellowship, for isolated religious liberals?

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Then what do you think of the Church of the Larger Fellowship, for isolated religious liberals?
I think that they are members of the Church of the Larger Fellowship.

I think that the reason why the CLF was formed was to serve UUs who otherwise would be isolated.

EverChanging

I thought you might say that. I agree, although it is different interacting by the net rather than face to face.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
I thought you might say that. I agree, although it is different interacting by the net rather than face to face.
The ideal, of course, would be to interact face to face. That is why the CLF is exploring a partnership with the First UU Church of Second Life. It still wouldn't be real live interactions, but interacting in real time with other people's avatars adds something significant.

If you're ever in world, drop by the UU Welcome Center and if I'm in world at the same time, I'll give you a tour. :)