• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is how to know male and female crabs.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Hello guys.

Lets have a lesson in biology.

And act childish for now
rolleyes.gif

To distinguish female and male crabs, all you have to do is invert them upside down and look. Here:

female-male%20blue%20crab.jpg

See that inverted Y looking thing? Female crabs have them wide while male crabs have them narrow.

The reason for this is holding the eggs. It will look like this:
L-femaleeggs_jpg.jpg

See that sponge looking thing? Those are eggs. Eggs form inside then stick like this for some time and finally spread out at some point. they taste great btw. But not in this form, only when it is inside the body.

Different sub-species of crabs might look different, but basically they are the same. This rule applies to them all. The sub-specie above is called Blue Crab.

Male crabs normally have bigger claws (pincers) so it has more meat in that spot, while female crabs normally instead have bigger abdomen in comparison. Both areas taste and dealt with differently, so choices are made according to that.

Hope you like it.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
I am definitely biased, but to me crabs look like nothing more than big bugs. Not appetizing.

Happens to all people. I mean, judging the book by its cover.

While looks and appetite are kinda important for food, taste is the most important.

But I do understand your point kind Sir. Different people have different tastes.

Big tasty bugs!
Those look like Maryland crabs.
And yes, the eggs are good too.

Now that's the spirit.

Names for species sometimes internally take after places in the US, like Maryland crabs, Maine lobster and California lobster, but world wide they are know for blue crabs, lobster and spiny lobster in respect.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Happens to all people. I mean, judging the book by its cover.

While looks and appetite are kinda important for food, taste is the most important.

No sir. I don't care if bugs taste like candied rainbows. They look disgusting.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Crabs are not bugs (or insects as it were) they are from the group of Crustaceans. And yes they are very tasty. And yes, this thread is very cool and practical, so good job on that Smart Guy, and would love to hear more of your tips about seafood.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Very cool. Blue crabs are VERY tasty. When I visited Maryland, we had a crab feast that lasted most of the night with our wooden mallets, melted butter everywhere, brown paper, and smiles everywhere after a whole heck of a lot of blue crabs were brought in.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Very cool. Blue crabs are VERY tasty. When I visited Maryland, we had a crab feast that lasted most of the night with our wooden mallets, melted butter everywhere, brown paper, and smiles everywhere after a whole heck of a lot of blue crabs were brought in.
Melted butter on Maryland crabs!?
Apostate!
Pervert (yes, this charge again)!
Reprobate!
Abomination!
Old Bay & vinegar are the only way.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
No sir. I don't care if bugs taste like candied rainbows. They look disgusting.

It's okay :)

Looks can indeed be the final judgement some times.

But I'm telling you, you're missing so much. Try some ready prepared crab meat. Just maybe you will like it.

Glad to see you picking up a little Southern English. It can be Ya'll or Y'all depending on how many cousins you've dated.

Yup :D

Actually, I don't know where it came from. I heard it randomly in cartoons :rolleyes:

And, I never date at all, not to mention cousins ha ha :D. I guess it would be Yaall then ha ha.

Crabs are not bugs (or insects as it were) they are from the group of Crustaceans. And yes they are very tasty. And yes, this thread is very cool and practical, so good job on that Smart Guy, and would love to hear more of your tips about seafood.

:D

I'll try to make a thread on how to pic up good crabs and lobsters to have the best amount and quality of meat.

Yeah, we do have them here in KSA as well. But I really wanna try mud crabs, those monsters, and the real lobster; AKA Maine lobster. We don't have them here :(

That feast mush have been really cool. Except for the wooden mallets :D. I don't really wanna be near a ninja with a wooden mallet :)

I love my crabs boiled or steamed, plain with a little white toast bread only. No butter nor vinegar.