• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This Is No Way To Treat A Soldier

seagull

Meet Carlos Lazo. Lazo arrived from Cuba on a wooden raft in 1992, as he writes in the Los Angeles Times, "to taste freedom." His family, whom he continued to visit and support financially, remained in Cuba. Moving to Seattle, Lazo joined the National Guard after the state was hit by an earthquake. In 2003, he was deployed to Iraq. There he served as a medic, thrust into the bloody assault on Fallouja. In June 2004, on his first R&R, he flew to Miami in the hopes of visiting his now-teenaged sons. The Bush White House, however, had recently announced its politically motivated intention to crack down on travel to Cuba. Even though Lazo arrived in Miami days before the restrictions went into effect, he was banned from taking the trip to see his family. "The administration that trusted me in battle in Iraq does not trust me to visit my children in Cuba," he said. Lazo came to Washington yesterday to meet with lawmakers on the Hill; sources say newly-elected Sen. Mel Martinez (R-FL) passed him off to a staffer who then canceled the meeting.

Pah

Uber all member
Certainly, there must be a "backdoor" way to accomodate this request. I can understand the adherence to policy for saving face - but really.