• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Those Who Saw Miracles But Didn’t Believe

Jimmy

Veteran Member
Many saw the miracles Jesus performed, but yet still didn’t believe. What do you think this actually means? Personally, I think it was jealousy and the fact that they couldn’t bring themselves to worship a human being or recognize that he was god in the flesh.

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I dunno, ancestor worship - reverence for the dead and the ancestors - was more widely practiced and accepted back in those days so worship of humans really wouldn't have been particularly unusual for that time. At least not as far as I'm aware. I'll defer to the scholars who are experts in that time period. Plus, humans weren't any more monolithic back then than they are now; different folks would have had different reactions for different reasons. Even with the scholarship we'll never really know the answer to that question short of inventing a time machine (and that's assuming Jesus was a historical figure which, as I understand it, is debatable?).

Jimmy

Veteran Member
I dunno, ancestor worship - reverence for the dead and the ancestors - was more widely practiced and accepted back in those days so worship of humans really wouldn't have been particularly unusual for that time. At least not as far as I'm aware. I'll defer to the scholars who are experts in that time period. Plus, humans weren't any more monolithic back then than they are now; different folks would have had different reactions for different reasons. Even with the scholarship we'll never really know the answer to that question short of inventing a time machine (and that's assuming Jesus was a historical figure which, as I understand it, is debatable?).
Humans were never worshiped as God at that time. Gods yes. The god? No.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Humans were never worshiped as God at that time. Gods yes. The god? No.
Probably true, if by God you mean the Abrahamic god. I'm not really that well-versed in things pertaining to Abrahamic religions or their histories; not my wheelhouse so to speak. I'm more aware of the modern science behind eyewitness accounts and how humans tend to remember and interpret events, so I can think of some diverse reasons why folks would reject witnessing miracles though. It's a bit long-winded to get into, honestly. :sweat:

Jimmy

Veteran Member
Probably true, if by God you mean the Abrahamic god. I'm not really that well-versed in things pertaining to Abrahamic religions or their histories; not my wheelhouse so to speak. I'm more aware of the modern science behind eyewitness accounts and how humans tend to remember and interpret events, so I can think of some diverse reasons why folks would reject witnessing miracles though. It's a bit long-winded to get into, honestly. :sweat:
Yeah, the God who creates and ends everything. No man in history had that title.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, the God who creates and ends everything. No man in history had that title.
Except Jesus, right? I'm dimly aware of some other Abrahamic traditions that accept other incarnations of God as a human. I don't know much about them beyond that they're a thing - it was touched upon in the world religion course I took in college.

Jimmy

Veteran Member
Except Jesus, right? I'm dimly aware of some other Abrahamic traditions that accept other incarnations of God as a human. I don't know much about them beyond that they're a thing - it was touched upon in the world religion course I took in college.
To my knowledge

Jimmy

Veteran Member
14th century BC Egypt worshipped the sun. That must’ve been an interesting time.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Many saw the miracles Jesus performed, but yet still didn’t believe. What do you think this actually means? Personally, I think it was jealousy and the fact that they couldn’t bring themselves to worship a human being or recognize that he was god in the flesh.
Have you ever seen a magician show? Have you ever seen some of the tricks explained?
When I'm shown a "miracle", I think about how the trick was performed, because I've seen many tricks in my lifetime but never "real" magic. I guess people who weren't impressed with Jesus' tricks thought similar.

HonestJoe

Many saw the miracles Jesus performed, but yet still didn’t believe. What do you think this actually means?
It could mean that events didn't happen exactly as described in the scriptures but that they were subsequently written to present Jesus as a fulfilment of Old Testament prophecy, including the elements of some people denying or refusing to believe him.

Tinkerpeach

I’ve seen God work miracles in my life but as humans we have a tendency to get wrapped up in the everyday normal routines and that miracle we saw slowly begins to fade as we move along until it’s simply forgotten for the most part.

It takes a lot of work and dedication to be a solid Christian and to always put God first when we have to confront million of issues in the real world every day.

I imagine that for some people it’s simply easier to deny it was a miracle than to face the fact that it’s too hard for them to live up to Gods standards.

PureX

Veteran Member
We are right to be skeptical when confronted with the unknown. It's a mark of both humility and wisdom.

Unquestioned belief is the mark of childish bravado.