• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Thy will be done"

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
When Christ prayed to His Father in the Garden of Gethsemane, asking that He might be spared the "bitter cup," He concluded by saying, "...nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt." He also used the phrase "thy will be done" in the prayer we all know as "The Lord's Prayer."

I've always felt that, as a Christian, this is how I should end my prayers. For a long time I did just that. Then, two or three years ago, my husband, who was probably about 61 or 62 years old at the time, had a physical exam and some medical tests that indicated that his arteries were like the arteries of an 85-year-old man. My first thought, upon hearing this, was "I'm going to be a widow. He's going to be dead within a year!" Obviously, I started praying fervently that this wouldn't be the case. But I found that I simply couldn't say, "nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt." I wanted to be able to, but I couldn't. I felt like I couldn't say, "God, if you want to make me a widow at 55 years of age, I guess that's okay." I know that God doesn't need my permission to do whatever it is He's going to do, but the whole experience just made me stop and think...

Am I really being honest when I say, "Thy will be done."? How can I again get to the point where I can say that and mean it? What are your thoughts on this subject?

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I think this is a central struggle for most if not all believers.

To be a Christian is to abandon OUR will for our lives and accept and trust in His will, whatever that may be. I think it's hard for every one of us to mean what we say when we're trusting God to carry us and our loved ones during uncertain situations and times. It's part of the human condition.

I think trusting is the hardest part of the Christian walk.

There's a song that I LOVE by Rebecca St. James about this very same thing. I've had days where I just listen to and sing this...until the words really stick.

Artist: Rebecca St. James
Song: I Can Trust You
Album: If I Had One Chance to Tell You Something

[Buy "If I Had One Chance to Tell You Something" CD]
Yes, I know that You have paved a path for me
Yes, I know that You see what I do and don't need
But when it comes to the deepest things
I have a hard time relinquishing control
Letting go

God, it hurts to give You what I must lay down
But when I let go, freedom's found
God, it hurts to give You what I've held so dear
Because of Your love it's clear
I can trust You with this
I can trust You with me
I can trust You

Lord, I know that You are worthy of my trust
For You have shown me time and time again
You're faithful and yet
I'm so scared of letting go of this
Afraid of what You might do with it
How could I forget who You are like this

Me forsaking
Heart is breaking
I let go of what I've held so tight
Freedom's mine now
For the taking
I move in faith, not by sight
Let Your will be done

Warmest wishes to you and your husband, Kathryn. We doubt ourselves, it's part of being human but thankfully, God knows our hearts and believes in us when it's hard for us to trust Him. He has a way of bringing beauty from our most difficult situations.

When Christ prayed to His Father in the Garden of Gethsemane, asking that He might be spared the "bitter cup," He concluded by saying, "...nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt." He also used the phrase "thy will be done" in the prayer we all know as "The Lord's Prayer."

I've always felt that, as a Christian, this is how I should end my prayers. For a long time I did just that. Then, two or three years ago, my husband, who was probably about 61 or 62 years old at the time, had a physical exam and some medical tests that indicated that his arteries were like the arteries of an 85-year-old man. My first thought, upon hearing this, was "I'm going to be a widow. He's going to be dead within a year!" Obviously, I started praying fervently that this wouldn't be the case. But I found that I simply couldn't say, "nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt." I wanted to be able to, but I couldn't. I felt like I couldn't say, "God, if you want to make me a widow at 55 years of age, I guess that's okay." I know that God doesn't need my permission to do whatever it is He's going to do, but the whole experience just made me stop and think...

Am I really being honest when I say, "Thy will be done."? How can I again get to the point where I can say that and mean it? What are your thoughts on this subject?

God doesn't take tough situations away but He gives us the strength to face them. And all that He does is for His glory!

2 Corinthians 12
9And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

We are weak, but He is strong.

Do you know about the poem Footprints in the Sand?
"During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you"

Jeremy Mason

Your story is very heart touching and one I've heard from others. i read Edgar Casey from time to time and here's a summery of a story he told a couple who had a retarded son. they asks Mr. Casey why God gave them a handy caped child. Mr. Casey said the child will never suffer again and the test was their's.

So, like Jesus and many others who find themselves in dire straits, God wants to see how you deal with adversity. Job is another good book that addresses how even a righteous man struggled with his views of God in his adversity.

I hope and pray that you, your husband and all who's involved will prevail with the unfortunate circumstances; God will provide a way.

Bucket

It is hard to say "thy will be done" when the negative choice is so bad. I think sometimes that we fight God's will too much, and don't have the strength to rely on His will. God also give us choices in our lives, some we choose well, some we do not. His will has to be that we choose well, and we ignore that. I think we need to gather the strength to rely on His will, but we have to act on that, not just lean on it.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I have to make myself say "they will be done and not mine" at times, too. It isn't easy to say and mean it. I always mean it when I do say it. And there are times I nearly forget to add it. :)