• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Time Magazine Man of the Year

Rex

Founder
Check this list out..

1930: Mahatma Gandhi
1932, 34, and 41: Franklin Delano Roosevelt
1938: Adolf Hitler
1939, 42: Joseph Stalin
1940, 49: Winston Churchill
1944, 59: Dwight Eisenhower
1945, 48: Harry Truman
1946: James F. Byrnes
1956: Hungarian Freedom Fighter
1961: John F. Kennedy
1962: Pope John XXIII
1963: Martin Luther King Jr.
1964, 67: Lyndon Johnson
1971, 72: Richard Nixon
1976: Jimmy Carter
1980, 83: Ronald Reagan
1982: The Computer
1987, 89: Mikhail Sergeyevich Gorbachev
1990: George H. W. Bush
1992, 98: Bill Clinton
1993: Nelson Mandela, F.W. de Klerk, Yasser Arafat, and Yitzhak Rabin
1994: Pope John Paul II
1995: Newt Gingrich
2000: George W. Bush
2001: Rudolph Giuliani
2002: The whistleblowers
2003: The American Soldier
2004: George W. Bush (2nd time)

SoulTYPE

I have the 76 version with Jimmy Carter in my garage. How and when and why it is there is another story.

GO REX!

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
"1938: Adolf Hitler" What the heck? I hope that was a negative "Man of the Year" award...

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Jensa said:
"1938: Adolf Hitler" What the heck? I hope that was a negative "Man of the Year" award...
Well think about it tho, the war wouldn't start for another year and, though he was very very controvercial, he had, it appeared to many, brought Germany back from the edge to make it a dominant force in the world yet again. He was a hero to many, not just in Germany, but around the world. Conservative elements in Western Europe and the US thought he was the cure to fight communism and bolshevism.

Lightkeeper

Very interesting list. Well, you can't say they take a particular political stance in their choice for "Man of the Year'.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
jewscout said:
Well think about it tho, the war wouldn't start for another year and, though he was very very controvercial, he had, it appeared to many, brought Germany back from the edge to make it a dominant force in the world yet again. He was a hero to many, not just in Germany, but around the world. Conservative elements in Western Europe and the US thought he was the cure to fight communism and bolshevism.

The cynical part of me wonders if this year's man of the year will turn out like that...

robtex

Veteran Member
that is funny that everybody commented on hitler but not stalin. Time is elusive on how one wins that award...who is voting what qualifies someone ect ect..i have a sneaking suspicion it is a way for them to increase publicity for their magazine and that that is their primary motive. There seems to be all types of personalities on that list...hard to narrow down the constraints that put one in the running or at the top of the list.

It may not matter cause in the world of magazines a publication like Time who can take very complicated and intricate issues and sum them up in 8 paragraphs or less will never make my magazine of the year award. By the time you get the gist of the article the article is concluded.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
robtex said:
that is funny that everybody commented on hitler but not stalin.
Good point robtex...Stalin killed far more people than Hitler and he didn't even have perameters on who was to be killed...he'd just go crazy and liquidate his whole government.

Lintu

jewscout said:
I wonder how publicized the Nuremburg Laws were, then. That *should* have been enough right there to show how bad he was, and as far back as 1935. I don't think this Man of the Year thing is so much praise as acknowledging the power a person had, or the impact they made...positive or negative.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The person of the year is the one judged most influential, not the most moral. It's not meant to be a tribute .

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
Seyorni is exactly right. The award is not intended to be a recognition of GOOD contributions to the world (or else you would see the likes of Mother Teresa dominating the list). The award goes to the person that has had the largest impact on the world for that year - positively or negatively - and hence, is the most newsworthy. Notice that the computer won the award in 1982. The award is not always a good thing to win.

Many people confuse the Time "Man of the Year" award with the Nobel Peace Prize - a piece of confusion that should be easy to avoid this year.

TVOR

cardero

Citizen Mod
When I was young my mother said that I would grace TIME's Man Of The Year cover but then I found that all mons tell their son's this.
Why doesn't TIME magazine do a Women Of The Year expose? What's up with that?

robtex

Veteran Member
The Voice of Reason said:
Many people confuse the Time "Man of the Year" award with the Nobel Peace Prize - a piece of confusion that should be easy to avoid this year.TVOR
bush was nominated for nobel peace prize..it was either this year or last year though...they mangaged to find someone who was responsible for less death and destruction to give it to though....

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
robtex said:
bush was nominated for nobel peace prize..it was either this year or last year though...they mangaged to find someone who was responsible for less death and destruction to give it to though....
Wow - no doubt they had to search long and far to find someone that represents the ideals of peace better than W.

TVOR