• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Time to March Again

t3gah

Rising Tree said:
I received this article in an email today:

http://www.whosoever.org/v9i4/march.shtml

Discuss.
Since the bible is the authority that defines what immorality is, then this statement is not correct:

When you wink at the torture of prisoners, and deprive so- called "enemy combatants" of the rules of the Geneva Convention, which your own country helped to establish and insists that other countries follow, you are doing something immoral.

God didn't have people write the Geneva Convention. This document was written for those who break the laws that Jesus laid out in the Sermon on the Mount, which that article brings out.

> [person one] Hey, you know what?
> [person two] What?
> [person one] You can kill anyone you like in war.
> [person two] Really? Cool, I'll do it for God and country!
> [person one] You know the best part?
> [person two] No, what is that?
> [person one] If you become a prisoner of war, we won't mame you, etc., because it's against 'mans' rules.
> [person two] Super, wonderful, fantastic! Where do I sign?
> [person one] You don't have to sign. All that has to happen is that both we and other countries honor this 'agreement' and have 'civil' wars like the 'old days'. We're also to honor other countries boundries, etc. Which we and them are fulfilling with their 'wars'.
> [person two] This deal is getting better and better by the minute.
> [person one] Oh, why is that?
> [person two] Because I came here to kill you. No hard feelings. :: takes out weapon ::
[>>> BLAM <<<]

Mercy Not Sacrifice

t3gah said:
Since the bible is the authority that defines what immorality is, then this statement is not correct:

When you wink at the torture of prisoners, and deprive so- called "enemy combatants" of the rules of the Geneva Convention, which your own country helped to establish and insists that other countries follow, you are doing something immoral.

God didn't have people write the Geneva Convention. This document was written for those who break the laws that Jesus laid out in the Sermon on the Mount, which that article brings out.
The Sermon on the Mount? You mean the one that told us to turn the other cheek when we are slapped? The one that commands us to love our enemies? The one that says for us not to store up treasures for ourselves? The one that says not to judge, lest we be judged? Is that the one you were talking about?

And do mean the same Bible that documents cases of God ordering people to pillage towns and rape women?

> [person one] Hey, you know what?
> [person two] What?

> [person one] You can kill anyone you like in war.
> [person two] Really? Cool, I'll do it for God and country!
> [person one] You know the best part?
> [person two] No, what is that?
> [person one] If you become a prisoner of war, we won't mame you, etc., because it's against 'mans' rules.
> [person two] Super, wonderful, fantastic! Where do I sign?
> [person one] You don't have to sign. All that has to happen is that both we and other countries honor this 'agreement' and have 'civil' wars like the 'old days'. We're also to honor other countries boundries, etc. Which we and them are fulfilling with their 'wars'.
> [person two] This deal is getting better and better by the minute.
> [person one] Oh, why is that?

> [person two] Because I came here to kill you. No hard feelings. :: takes out weapon ::
[>>> BLAM <<<]

Strawman. The Geneva Convention was designed to prevent superpowers from going overboard with their powers. Is this a bad thing?