• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To be happier, take a moment to notice the nature around you

Skipper

Wrong is wrong,/ Make America moral again.
I totally agree. Here is a photo I took of a Praying Mantis eating a stink bug yesterday.

upload_2017-11-4_16-31-37.png

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
I also generally feel happy after a really big poop. So you know, just something to keep in mind if you are feeling down.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
From a medical web site,
Passmore found that the participants who had engaged in the nature observation task reported increased levels of happiness and overall well-being. They were also more open to social contact, and to sharing resources with their peers.

I can vividly remember back in the 60's that I did Not like walking to school in the cold weather, but how much I enjoyed staring at those color-filled trees to the point that my mind would be off the cold weather and knowing darkening daylight was approaching. Makes me wonder why we can't move our clocks ahead one more hour instead of changing the clocks one hour backwards. We could even enjoy seeing the autumn trees longer.
P.S. Crayola's new color is 'blue.te.full ' ( spell ). Although there is No blue in the trees, I suppose we could say the sunny autumn skies are blue.te.full.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
For my sins, I am surrounded by a forest wonderland, that for the moment is covered in a light layer of snow. It's hard to ignore nature out in rural areas and often to one's peril when they do.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
For my sins, I am surrounded by a forest wonderland, that for the moment is covered in a light layer of snow. It's hard to ignore nature out in rural areas and often to one's peril when they do.

What sins? :)

We rarely get snow down here in Oz - except some in the mountains ...

SabahTheLoner

Master of the Art of Couch Potato Cuddles
My therapy;

- Walk from my house for about 15 minutes on a specific path

- Go to a trail bordering a field and wooded area

- Take some time to notice the plants and animals

- Breathe

- Relax and go on with my day

Milton Platt

From a medical web site,

Passmore found that the participants who had engaged in the nature observation task reported increased levels of happiness and overall well-being. They were also more open to social contact, and to sharing resources with their peers.

So we have correlation. But no causation has been demonstrated. Just playing devil's advocate for the moment.
How do you know that the shoe isn't on the other foot? How do you know that people who demonstrate the traits of happiness and well being aren't the types that would more likely spend time observing nature?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
So we have correlation. But no causation has been demonstrated. Just playing devil's advocate for the moment.
How do you know that the shoe isn't on the other foot? How do you know that people who demonstrate the traits of happiness and well being aren't the types that would more likely spend time observing nature?
I'm not a researcher who produced that finding. But if you had read the article you would have seen this:

Dr. Passmore recruited 395 UBC undergraduate students who were then randomly split into three groups.

Of course this finding should be replicated but that's another question.

Milton Platt

I'm not a researcher who produced that finding. But if you had read the article you would have seen this:

Dr. Passmore recruited 395 UBC undergraduate students who were then randomly split into three groups.

Of course this finding should be replicated but that's another question.

Of course. I know you didn’t do the research and was just summarizing an article. My point is that this researcher has only demonstrated correlation at best. Further studies may bear out your conclusions about his study. But for now, I remain skeptical of those conclusions.