• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Too much noise in the zendo.

Octavia156

OTO/EGC
Sorry to create some noise...

but could you tell me - is the silencing of the interal dialogue a part of Zen practise?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Sorry to create some noise...

but could you tell me - is the silencing of the interal dialogue a part of Zen practise?
It is. At least as a stock answer. *grin*

Time to time the dialogue is deafening even when the zendo physically remains quiet and peaceful. Should someone pass by they might admire all the peace and tranquility they perceive on the surface oblivious to the underlying nuances that goes on.

During zazen I might at times wonder at how many of those who are sitting in obvious tranquility and peaceful silence are in all actuality engaged in utter chaos and turmoil screaming like banshees combating just about everything life throws at them without physical words being ever expressed. Just the physical illusion of quietness manifests of which Buddhists are so noted for.

I created the op undergoing this. Still do in fact. Didn't expect anyone to pick up on it for awhile though. Tried to hush myself. :0)

Octavia156

OTO/EGC
*grins*

In my school we have Something called the Sleep of Shiloam. Its said to be a state of internal Silence where the body continues to funtion day to day - doing its Will, but there is no noise nor internal dialogue to speak of.

The Sleep of Shiloam however is not a permenant state - you can wake up from it at any time. This occurs when the person comes to an obstacle in their path, be it physical or mental, which creates Noise and the internal voice starts up again. The only way to fall back into to Silence, is to remove the obstacle.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
*grins*

In my school we have Something called the Sleep of Shiloam. Its said to be a state of internal Silence where the body continues to funtion day to day - doing its Will, but there is no noise nor internal dialogue to speak of.

The Sleep of Shiloam however is not a permenant state - you can wake up from it at any time. This occurs when the person comes to an obstacle in their path, be it physical or mental, which creates Noise and the internal voice starts up again. The only way to fall back into to Silence, is to remove the obstacle.
I never heard of the Sleep of Shiloam before personally.

Nevertheless it sounds similer in some ways as it sorta reminds me wheras I "bring" nuances of my life with Zazen and conversely attempting to integrate Zazen with daily life.

It's harder for me as to the latter though, even as I realise it's beneficial to press Physically and mentally on with whatever your engaged with in spite of other factors actively working as an obstacle such as apprehension and emotional fear and/or lack of confidence. You just continue "In spite of".
Somethig I'm still working on and haven't mastered yet.