• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trucking and Zen

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Well finally an opportunity arose to poke my nose back into the forum and wished to impart some commentary.

Three weeks ago my company cut me loose and am now engauged in otr trucking as a solo driver and discovered just how this particular industry tests ones Zen practice in almost every aspect. For those familier, or have engauged in this profession first hand will tell you this is not something for everyone.

Up to this point i think i just went through just about every emotional and phyiscal nuance thus far.

Im by myself.
I already threatend to quit.
I thought i was going to die in the mountains when i started to slip in snow conditions.
I miss my family dearly.
Im afraid of the elements with an 80,000 thousand pound 70 foot long truck and navigating this thing through just about every kind of situation.
There is a consistant apprehension present weither it is strange places or situations
unknown that plays inside the head.
Speaking of the head you might be surprised what the mind thinks up while out there.

I also have better experiences like the enjoyment of the open road.
Interesting places and people.
Good driving record so far in that my start is 7000 miles accident free with the hopes my profession will lead me to the million mile mark before i retire.
I like Johnny Cash songs.
The smell of diesel.
My truck looks great. It's a black peterbuilt with twin stacks. Nice.
Decent pay for a change. I just doubled my pay from my last job.

All this has made me realise that Zen practice is no good unless it it gets sorely tested in real life outside the zendo and faced with a multitude of situations that puts that practice to the test. Then you will actually know where you stand and weither it's been effective.

My gratitude to those who have taught me and to those compassionate nudges in life shaping up the results to this point.

Thanks to Zen Buddhism I think i can deal with the long distance trucking profession.

Long road to go still..... i suspect at this point there is no real end to this path.

Thanks folks.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
Nowhere Man! Long time, no see, my Zen brother. I'm glad to get to hear from you. Yes, truck driving is not a job for just anyone. I had considered it for a time, myself, but I worked in a truck stop for two years, and I just remember thinking about all those otr drivers who never really ever got to stop and take a rest, see family, etc. So, I can see how it really proves the veracity of one's Zen practice. But like you pointed out, Zen is no good unless it can be practiced in every day life. Just remember the Ten Oxherding Pictures: number nine was shunyata, but number ten was the bodhisattva returning to the world, to put into practice what he had learned. Keep us posted, have fun and be careful.

Twilight Hue

Nowhere Man! Long time, no see, my Zen brother. I'm glad to get to hear from you. Yes, truck driving is not a job for just anyone. I had considered it for a time, myself, but I worked in a truck stop for two years, and I just remember thinking about all those otr drivers who never really ever got to stop and take a rest, see family, etc. So, I can see how it really proves the veracity of one's Zen practice. But like you pointed out, Zen is no good unless it can be practiced in every day life. Just remember the Ten Oxherding Pictures: number nine was shunyata, but number ten was the bodhisattva returning to the world, to put into practice what he had learned. Keep us posted, have fun and be careful.

Thanks for the kindness and good advice my friend. I think i will put the 10 oxherding pictures in my truck. Perhaps a sand Buddha as well if I can find one.

Twilight Hue

I like this, and welcome back? Or are you just visiting?
Another good friend. :0)

I left the forum due to my job transition as it required travel to the main facility out of state and a month out with a trainer that required me to focus on reaquainting with the industry and all the changes that occured. They finally cut me loose bout three weeks ago so while i may not post as often as i used to, i will try to pop in when i can.

I actually miss the fellas and gals. It feels good to post again after the time spent away from the forum.

I learned a lot so far and as aforementioned, being in this industry is one of the few professions that can put Zen training to a serious test. It's an eye opener.

Glad to see you posting still Sum. A lot of you folks are rays of sunshine for me.

Awoon

Keep an eye open for those four wheeler idiots who think you can stop on a dime like a car.

Twilight Hue

Keep an eye open for those four wheeler idiots who think you can stop on a dime like a car.
Too late for that. Lol
New England is worst so far in my experiences. Especially Boston. I rather be in nyc. They at least have some sense of self preservation. :0)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Too late for that. Lol
New England is worst so far in my experiences. Especially Boston. I rather be in nyc. They at least have some sense of self preservation. :0)
Boston blows when driving with a loaded trailer.
Atlanta, Chicago & LA are no fun either.
One must always maintain awareness & be present in the moment.

Twilight Hue

Boston blows when driving with a loaded trailer.
Atlanta, Chicago & LA are no fun either.
One must always maintain awareness & be present in the moment.
You bet! My radio goes off during those times.

Speaking of Chicago, just left there last week. The bridges and one ways.......oh my.

:0)

Ps: yet another good bud around.

Twilight Hue

Another 2 weeks in my truck. Another lesson in letting go my frustration concerning going home to family. Nothing going east so now Im further west in Iowa.

Twilight Hue

It's approaching bout six months now, and this job is getting to me. Im experiencing episodes of headaches, joint pain and depression.

I put in my 2 week notice, yet i hope to revoke that and proceed come hell or high water. From my recollection on the last time I quit, it was around five to six months. Same this time around when the stresses and danger of the profession got to me.

It seems this is a time during low points where either Zen will really help or retreat to a more comfortable practice. I would rather not have that option if suffering is something that you need to traverse during this existence.

There is actually no me, no pain, no suffering unless thoughts deem it as so.

Suffering is thinking in what is actually rising and falling phenomena.

If I can pass this point of breaking, perhaps the monkey will quiet for a bit upon a glimmer of it's reflection and start reaching from the branch it so tightly grips.

Last edited: