• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TV for kids

Pah

Uber all member
For those of you who have kids -

Do you monitor what your kids watch?

Do you limit the time the kids may watch TV each day?

What activities do you have that gets your kids away from TV

In other words, discuss the relationship your kids have to TV

For those without kids - tell us your personal TV habits

Bob

Watcher

The Gunslinger
More kids are getting into internet and video games nowadays, but they still like TV. Whatever happened to the good cartoon days??? Bugs Bunny, The Roadrunner, Pepe le Peu (my personal favorite), the Flintstones, and all the other classics. I only ever watch some movies ever now and then (and always at night before I go to bed), the news, and maybe once a week watch one of the evening sitcoms while I eat my dinner.

xander-

Personally, i think that tv affects peronallity in a way that is harmless. I was up late one night and watched a documentery on arcitecture and it affected me in a way that i am interrested in the topic more. But the show "*******" on mtv is a basic form of humor, but it affects kids no more than "The Three Stugges" affected us.

-Xander

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
pah said:
Do you monitor what your kids watch?
Absolutely. And they know what they can and cannot watch, and will tell people so, lol.

Do you limit the time the kids may watch TV each day?
Of course, although some days I do better than others. If it's rainy and I have to get some work done, then they might watch more TV than I would like.

What activities do you have that gets your kids away from TV
Reading, playing, puzzles (my son loves puzzles) computer games, music, chores :)

In other words, discuss the relationship your kids have to TV
I would love to get rid of the TV, but they would probably have a fit, and it is nice to have around sometimes. They watch more than I would like them to, but I think they watch less than the average American kid. Unfortunely we're not in a place where they can play outside much, so sometimes they are stuck inside when I would rather them be out.

mrscardero

Kal-El's Mama
Watcher said:
More kids are getting into internet and video games nowadays, but they still like TV. Whatever happened to the good cartoon days??? Bugs Bunny, The Roadrunner, Pepe le Peu (my personal favorite), the Flintstones, and all the other classics. I only ever watch some movies ever now and then (and always at night before I go to bed), the news, and maybe once a week watch one of the evening sitcoms while I eat my dinner.
Pepe le Peu rocks...:jam: Just not in real life...lol
What about The Jetsons. Tom and Jerry and the Animaniacs. I use to watch Looney Toons and Tiny Toons. Yes...I am 26, but age will not stop me from watching my animated shows. There is still a kid inside everyone of us :D

Pah

Uber all member
mrscarrdero said:
...There is still a kid inside everyone of us :D
I like to think that my kid puts on long pants.

Bob

Whoa!!! not to say your's does not!!!!!!!!

SoulTYPE

All we get in Australia ia reality TV shows. One comes out, and copies the other. These aren't very influencing. (If such a word).

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Damn Soul that's gotta be a fate worse than death! I can't stand reality television (that's not completely true there are a handful of good ones like the Osbournes and QE!).

I'm all about some Cartoon Network. You can find me either watching cartoons or the news.

KateTacular

I don't have kids, but I watch my friends kids a lot and there's a strict no-TV policy when I'm there, unless I happen to bring a movie along with me. I have a lot more fun with them making crafts and reading them interesting books.

Anyway, I mostly watch things like the History Channel, Discovery, local and national news, but I like old cartoons and Adult Swim as well. The only time I really watch much TV is sometimes at night after I've cleaned the house or finished all my homework to relax.

Lightkeeper

pah said:
I like to think that my kid puts on long pants.

Bob
Me too!!!:)

I don't think we know how much damage violence on TV does. Therefore, to be on the safe side, it' a good idea to monitor it.

Ellie_A

xander- said:
Personally, i think that tv affects peronallity in a way that is harmless.
-Xander
I do not see it as harmless. There are far to many people including children that believe everything they see on television. I feel too few people take the time to check and see if these things that get off the news and ever shows have any reliability? It has been brought out that because of so many of the TV shows that show CPR that everyone who it is given to lives. That is not true... it is not even close. It is a very low percentage of people who survive following CPR. I have heard of paramedics getting verbally attacked because it did not save their loved ones. This is just an example of how easily people get mislead, and misinformed by shows on tv.

Oh, don't get me wrong CPR is a good thing, and should always be done if the situation calls for it.

xander-

Ellie_A said:
I do not see it as harmless. There are far to many people including children that believe everything they see on television. I feel too few people take the time to check and see if these things that get off the news and ever shows have any reliability? It has been brought out that because of so many of the TV shows that show CPR that everyone who it is given to lives. That is not true... it is not even close. It is a very low percentage of people who survive following CPR. I have heard of paramedics getting verbally attacked because it did not save their loved ones. This is just an example of how easily people get mislead, and misinformed by shows on tv.

Oh, don't get me wrong CPR is a good thing, and should always be done if the situation calls for it.
I understand what you mean. Too many people think they are almost doctors because they watch "E.R.". I didn't really think of that when i wrote what i did, so i'll correct it.

I don't think that "*******", gangstar rap on MTV, reality TV, movies about drugs, rated R movies, do any affect on the child. If the child grows up to do what he had seen, its the parents fault not TV's. Just my opinion, i could be wrong, i'm not a shrink.

-Xander