• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two Things to Make MidnightBlue Smile

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
(Even tho MB is not a UU, I am posting this in the UU forum because the news is UU specific.)

1. I'm pretty sure that the UUA and the Boy Scouts have officially parted ways.

A. The Boy Scouts are no longer granting a button/badge (whatever it's called) for completing our religion course because our brochures explicitly criticize their anti-gay, anti-atheist policies.

B. The UUA is protesting that the Senate Committee on Banking is considering legislation which would create a commemorative coin for the Boy Scouts of America. If passed, the legislation would direct the U.S. Mint to produce commemorative coins, raising an estimated $3.5 million dollars for them. Not only are we against this because the BSA is anti-gay and anti-atheist, but personally I don't think the govt should be fundraising for what for all intensive purposes is a religious organization.

2. In order to protest this legislation, we are teaming up with the Secular Coalition for America, a lobbying group for "atheists, humanists, and freethinkers." In and of itself, that's no big deal. The UUA is just as likely to collaborate with a secularist group, like First Freedom First, as it is to collaborate with liberal religious groups. But what is noteworthy about the Secular Coalition for America is that Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, and Christopher Hitchens all sit on its advisory board. :cover:

For UUs (or anyone else) who want to protest against this Congressional fund-raising for the Boy Scouts, here is the link: Secular Coalition for America Action Alert

applewuud

At the UU General Assembly, in the exhibit hall there was a booth from a new co-ed Scouting group that's being formed that would be compatible with UU values, for those looking for an alternative to the Boy Scouts. I don't have the link at the moment, though.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
At the UU General Assembly, in the exhibit hall there was a booth from a new co-ed Scouting group that's being formed that would be compatible with UU values, for those looking for an alternative to the Boy Scouts. I don't have the link at the moment, though.

I've heard of a couple of different youth organizations that position themselves as more tolerant alternatives to the BSA.

It's a shame that all this is necessary, though - when I look at Scouts Canada, I see how things don't have to be the way that the BSA is. I think there's value in continuing in the legacy and tradition of Baden-Powell and Scouting; it's so disappointing to me, both as an outside observer and as a former Boy Scout myself, to see what the BSA have done with that legacy.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
It's tough for me as I see it from two sides. I hate the phobia that seems to come from mostly a national level, and I see that most Scouts and Scouters don't buy into these National Policies.

Personally, I am trying to change this organization from within. They do a TREMENDOUS amount of good, and frankly I am who I am because of my associations with the BSA.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Were you at GA? Why didn't you let me know? I would have loved to have met you! :(

Glad to see you around, btw. :hug:

applewuud

Yes, I was at GA but didn't see your post before I was there...sorry I haven't checked into RF for a long time. :sorry1: Now that my church is in "recess" for the summer I'll probably check in more often.

Cowboy Bebop

All Cattle and No Hat
It's probably worth keeping in mind that the Girl Scouts and the UUA have not parted ways, mostly because the Girl Scouts accept homosexuals and atheists.