• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two UU churches vandalized

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
http://www.uuworld.org/news/articles/7470.shtml
Cedarhurst Unitarian Universalists, a congregation of 100 members in Finksburg, Md., has experienced at least three attacks of vandalism since late summer. In late August or early September, BB pellets damaged several plain-glass windows. In the weeks that followed, several hateful messages, including a swastika and two messages attacking the church’s theological beliefs, were drawn upon an outside table. In the most recent incident a peace pole in the congregation’s meditation garden was damaged when it was dismantled and defecated on. The youth of the church had just created the meditation garden during the spring and summer.

...Scrawled on the table was the message, “You don’t believe in God. You (expletive).” There was also a message that the congregation should “want to be more Christian.”
If that is being Christian, no thank you.
Vandalism also occurred at the 233-member UU Church of Delaware County in Media, Pa., on November 10 when a rainbow flag was stolen, then returned the next night burned and partially shredded. The Rev. Peter Friedrichs said an identical flag had been stolen a year ago and the congregation did not replace it until this fall.

I don't understand some people.

uu_sage

Disgraceful and despicable. My congregation on at least two separate ocasions has been the victim of threats and vandalism. A few years ago when our Minister Emeritus was still with us, parts of our sanctuary were covered in chocolate with a threat saying the perps were going to break Ellen's bones. Later on the city of Montclair said that our "Standing on the Side of Love Banner" was too large and it had to be taken down. I feel like I've gone through the same heartbreak and disillusion as our sisters and brothers at Cedarhurst and Delaware County. May love, beauty, and hope surround them.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
As hard as it is for me to comprehend the want of anyone to vandalize a church, it's somehow even more difficult to understand them doing it to a UU church.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Feathers in Hair said:
As hard as it is for me to comprehend the want of anyone to vandalize a church, it's somehow even more difficult to understand them doing it to a UU church.
A woman in my congregation drives by our church building every day. She said that she is dreading the time she drives by and sees smoke coming from the building. I'm afraid for many UU churches it's if they will be vandalized, but when. It's the nature of the areas we live in and the intolerant attitudes around us.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Feathers in Hair said:
Quite; it is a most unChristian act ....:(

Although the vandalism of places of worship is terrible, I can see some positive aspects to the fact that some Unitarian churches in the United States are frequently vandalised in this way. It shows that you have a public image — it might not be an entirely positive image to all people, it might not always be the image you want and it might not always be an accurate image, but you do seem to have an image in the wider of society, which increases the chances of making your message known.

On the one hand, it is good that Unitarian churches in England do not have a fear of vandalism. But on the other hand, it's not so good, as this is essentially because so few people even know that we even exist, let alone care about what we are. The wider public here has no concept of us, which makes it very difficult for our message to be heard.

Ciscokid

I don't know if you folks remember the Buddhist temple that was attacked in Arizona in August of '91? That happened less than a mile from my house. I lived in Waddell AZ at the time.

A couple of punks from my high school went into the temple and killed a bunch of folks. I didn't understand then and I still don't know what causes people to do the horrible things they do.

Here's a link if you're not sure what I'm referring to:
http://www.azcentral.com/specials/special21/articles/0809temple0809.html

ayani

Moni_Gail said:
:( Save us from all of those who swear they are right, then use it to menace others.

i would like to ad "amen" to that.

religious persecution is *ugly* and cowardly. i'm so sorry.

uumckk16

Ciscokid said:
I don't know if you folks remember the Buddhist temple that was attacked in Arizona in August of '91? That happened less than a mile from my house. I lived in Waddell AZ at the time.

A couple of punks from my high school went into the temple and killed a bunch of folks. I didn't understand then and I still don't know what causes people to do the horrible things they do.

Here's a link if you're not sure what I'm referring to:
http://www.azcentral.com/specials/special21/articles/0809temple0809.html
:eek: :eek: :eek:

That is disgusting. I couldn't read the whole thing.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Have any of you ever experienced something like this at your own church? What did the congregation do? How did you respond?

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
We've been lucky, here. Our church is out in the country, tucked away, so no vandalism has ever occurred (that I'm aware of).--The United Church in town has had some vandalism, though. Youth like to loiter on its steps, get drunk and smash things. It's unfortunate because the church is pretty much plastered (no pun intended) now in 'No loitering' signs. Also, our local Anglican congregation recently put new copper on and around their roof and everyone was concerned about someone stealing it. We were really on the lookout the first few nights. It's such a beautiful old church. I used to live across the street from it, and I'd wake up to the bells every morning--very soothing.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
We're out in the country too, but the 'burbs are quickly approaching. Being somewhat isolated is probably a little more scary (at least for us in this area as opposed to downtown). Someone could go out and do something to the building and/or grounds and no one would ever know until maybe the next day.

It is a concern, but not to the point of living in fear.

Tigress

Working-Class W*nch.
That's true, especially if development is going up in the area. Our church is in an area where farming is still largely 'the norm,' so as I've said, we've been lucky. Not too many youth are out and about that way...they're all in and around town bothering the rest of us. lol *Sigh* I live in the 'burbs, but in an older home that was once a summer cottage, so I don't feel so bad. I just hate that everything is being built up...I remember when I as younger...so much more greenery, and countryside. There are a few things our town needed, to be sure, but I wanted it to stay more like it was. :( Not on topic, but I just had to rant. Sorry.

Storm Moon

† Spiritual Warrior †
That's just sickening. I think the people who did this are just out for attention and to make themselves feel better by making others feel worthless. Hypocrites if you ask me.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
hartlandcat said:
Although the vandalism of places of worship is terrible, I can see some positive aspects to the fact that some Unitarian churches in the United States are frequently vandalised in this way. It shows that you have a public image — it might not be an entirely positive image to all people, it might not always be the image you want and it might not always be an accurate image, but you do seem to have an image in the wider of society, which increases the chances of making your message known.

On the one hand, it is good that Unitarian churches in England do not have a fear of vandalism. But on the other hand, it's not so good, as this is essentially because so few people even know that we even exist, let alone care about what we are. The wider public here has no concept of us, which makes it very difficult for our message to be heard.
Good point. That was my reaction too. Yes, this kind of hatred feels like a rock in my stomach, but it does mean that we are being paid attention to. These people hate us because they fear us. They fear us because they are aware of us and perceive that we have the power to be a threat. The worst thing that they can do to us is to convince us that we're powerless.