• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"...ultra-Orthodox Jews must be drafted into military"

Regiomontanus

Eastern Orthodox
Good! They've been given a free ride for too long, imo.

I really don't have an opinion on that one way or the other. I am more interested in what the implications of the decision will be for the current, governing coalition (and hence on what is going on in Gaza).

"Most Israelis believe ultra-Orthodox men should serve in the military, according to recent polls, but Haredi parties have been staunchly opposed to efforts to rescind the draft exemption. Netanyahu’s fragile government coalition relies on two Haredi parties – United Torah Judaism and Shas – to govern. He has for weeks been trying to advance legislation through Israel’s parliament, the Knesset, that would enshrine in law a draft exemption for Haredi men."

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I really don't have an opinion on that one way or the other. I am more interested in what the implications of the decision will be for the current, governing coalition (and hence on what is going on in Gaza).
Relatively little, imo. I think the next question is whether the Chasidim would allow themselves to be drafted and I have doubts they would.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
They will be thrilled.There is a lot of resentment by the majority that some escape military service.
Don't forget that participation in modern day OT fury and action. Orthodoxs ought to feel privileged. Lead by example boys!