• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unitarian or Quaker?

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I have the opportunity to attend either a Quaker meeting or a Unitarian service this weekend.
Both appeal. If you were me which would you attend? Why?

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I've only seen an unprogrammed meeting. Unprogrammed Quakers don't actually quake, which is very disappointing. Maybe unitarians don't actually uni anything. That was a joke.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I'm looking forward to it.
I thought it was fantastic.
I would love to go again. I just sat in a room with about 20 other people united in silence for the most part for an hour.
I would never have imagined that silent prayer and quiet contemplation in the company of others could be so moving. A great experience.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I would love to go again. I just sat in a room with about 20 other people united in silence for the most part for an hour.
I would never have imagined that silent prayer and quiet contemplation in the company of others could be so moving. A great experience.
I found it to be so as well.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

It seems there's an energy generated when people are gathered for a common purpose. It's especially uplifting when it's for prayer or meditation/contemplation.

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls

It's good, isn't it?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Why is that? Genuine curiosity.

I don't think I have ever even met an UU, but let me guess: Ymir probably believes that the UU spends way too much time and energy attempting to reach consensus on faiths that are ultimately at odds with each other, and ends up not attaining much beyond a display of sincere desire to reach an understanding.

It seems to be a common worry/criticism. I would love to learn that I am wrong, though.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
There is a Unitarian church in Cork and one in Dublin. They are linked to the Non subscribing Presbyterians of N Ireland who are Unitarians. None of these Irish Unitarians are UU's.
You could try one of them next

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
It is interesting that some priests have been promoting services of silent meditation in Anglican churches. Or sometimes adding long periods of silent prayer to communion services.

I welcome this, but it does not suit every one... so they are usually week day services.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Why is that? Genuine curiosity.
*runs Ponder.bat*

I don't think I have ever even met an UU, but let me guess: Ymir probably believes that the UU spends way too much time and energy attempting to reach consensus on faiths that are ultimately at odds with each other, and ends up not attaining much beyond a display of sincere desire to reach an understanding.

It seems to be a common worry/criticism. I would love to learn that I am wrong, though.
I would tend to agree with most of this, Luis. The other rub is that I have not come across a single UU designated person who was particularly persuasive here on RF. A few talked a good game, but in the end they just seem to reach consensus by ignoring major differences - as if - those differences were never there.

I recall once sand-bagging the brilliant Lilithu who was trying to convince me that UU's were incredibly tolerant because they actively worked against intolerance. My question back to her was, "Isn't being intolerant of intolerance, still intolerance?"

She never did reply to the question.

In light of ignoring blatant differences between religious/philosophical beliefs and the intolerance thing led me to believe they are simply well meaning, but a tad superficial.

Last edited: