• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unitarian Universalism on Second Life

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Just a quick note before I head off to work: UU_sage and I have been hanging out at Second Life and would like to invite our fellow UUs - that means you applewUUd, and any other UUs who are around, and UU sympathizers (James). Second Life is a simulated environment where your avatar can interact with others online. I've met people from all over the world. There is a BEAUTIFUL UU sanctuary there, a small but thriving UU community, and we've had some great discussions. Services are twice a week - Thursday evenings and Sat mornings, both at 9:30. In addition, there are lots of other things to explore. I've visited several churches, Buddhist temples, and one synagogue. I'm sure UU_sage has seen more. Please join us!

Second Life: Official site of the 3D online virtual world to sign up.

It's free (unless you want to own land - I'll explain that later). You'll have to download a special browser, and you need a reasonably fast computer to handle the graphics. But my mac 0S 10.3.9 laptop is managing.

Once online, search for "Unitarian Universalist" and you will find the First Unitarian Universalist Church of Second Life (FUUCSL). Teleport there. Check out the sanctuary. When I am online, I usually check to see if anyone is there. Or, search for me - Lilith Yue - and if I'm online, IM me. I will try to help with any questions you have about getting around (tho I'm just learning myself).

Second Life: Official site of the 3D online virtual world

Come, come, whoever you are!

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
I'm Jamaesi Skytower on there. :) Lilith, UU_sage, and me hung out last night on SL.

I'm still loving the squid and jellyfish and flatfish that were at the FUUCSL. :D

Kungfuzed

Student Nurse
How could I have forgotten my favorite tall white filipino?? :hug: Heya, namaste! What is your name on SL?
I think the last time I visited SL was over a year ago, maybe two years. I think my name was Kungfuzed Kidd. I flew around alot and saw lots of empty buildings and lots of famous places and debauchery, but not much to do there without any money. I even stopped by the UU sanctuary, very beautiful, but no one was there at the time. Thanks for letting us know about it. :hug:

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Honestly, I'm still ambivalent about "worship" online. No hymns. No real sermon. More of a discussion. And you can't hear, touch, even smell the people around you. But there are some cool things about it.

On Sunday, when I logged on to SL, there was a group notice about the shooting in Knoxville. It was the first I'd heard of it. Spontaneously, UUs gathered at the sanctuary and sat vigil. A fund was set up with online contributions going directly to the affected congregations. It allowed us to respond almost instantaneously, and UUs from all over the country - all over the world actually - were in the same "space." On Monday, in solidarity with the vigil in Knoxville, we held another one at the same time. Each of our avatars holding lighted candles (and talking too much). Kungfuzed came! :hug: Also there were Jamaesi and UU_Sage. On both nights more than one UU said how grateful they were for the UU church on SL because they couldn't make it to their real life church (or didn't have one) and needed to be with other UUs. Virtual community - weird but also good.