• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unitarian Universalism Questions

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Staff member
Premium Member
I got interested even more in looking into the UU thing when I heard Rod Sterling is a UU, not that I'm doing it just for that reason, but I began researching it down to the core due to knowing he was a part of this.

The closest UU Organization (Church) is over 25 miles -50 miles from where I live NEIUUF - Northeast Iowa Unitarian Universalist Fellowship Do I have to attend a service? I'm not sure how to talk my parents into going....

Not that I'm afraid that they wont let me, they aren't too religious, but I get shy when I talk about something similar to religion, because they don't really care about it, it's uninteresting to them, so I'm not sure they know how important it is to me.

I think UU-ism is good for me. It accepts my beliefs, along with others'.

As I understand, it is a very respectful religion... To sum it up it is basically "Each to their own" If I'm wrong please tell me.

I'm not sure if I'm missing something about the UU that is important, but these are the only principles in it that I know of:

Respect Everyone
Each to their own *belief wise*
The importance of everybody

That's all I've heard about it. Please tell me more concepts if I'm missing some.

But even if I don't have to go to the UU church to be a part of it, I want to at least go once, any idea how to talk my parents into it... I'm just shy to ask them something religious-wise, not sure what they'll say, even though they are not too religious and they think that I'm the same way...

I doubt they'd drive 50 hours just to do this, but if there is a bus I probably will be able to go.

To sum it up: Here are my two questions, shortening the whole post (but the post details it if you don't mind the read):

How should I talk my parents into driving me 50 miles for a religious thing?

Can you tell me the core principles, or what is required to become a UU member?

Thanks

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Hi, Sum.

First, a question for you: have you tried our congregation locator? There might be one closer to you.

Anyway, UU is a covenantal faith founded on the 7 Principles:

1. The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
  2. Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
  3. Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
  4. A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
  5. The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
  6. The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
  7. Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.
It's not that you can believe whatever you want and be UU. You have to agree with and strive to live by the covenant.

As for becoming a member... we don't have a conversion process or anything, though we do register as members of our congregations. But that's once you've found and committed to a given community, not something I would encourage for someone just checking us out.

applewuud

If you do have to drive 50 miles, and bring the folks, you should see what's scheduled. During the summer especially, a lot of UU churches "take off" and the services, if there are any, are really just gatherings of members without a speaker, etc. :thud:

Go to their website and look at their service schedule for the season. Some UU groups have a "Fellowship Luncheon" one Sunday a month so you can eat after the service and have a longer period to meet people. Or, see if they have a special speaker or if their minister (if they have one) preaches on certain Sundays. Another way to get the parents to go is if there's a music Sunday, e.g. if the UU singer/songwriter Jim Scott is doing a service there. Maybe there's a topic that's particularly interesting...

It's hard to get a flavor for a given church/fellowship without experiencing several services, and they all have their ups and downs. Best to start on an up! :yes:

The Sum of Awe

Staff member
Premium Member
How do I become a member, what are some doctrines all Unitarians follow? Is it as simple as following the concepts to become one?

The Sum of Awe

Staff member
Premium Member
You become a member when you decide to join a congregation. Don't worry about that yet. :)

Doctrines? None.

The Principles, yes.

Basically, you're UU when you say so.

What are the principles that are required of each member?

The Sum of Awe

Staff member
Premium Member
The ones I listed in my first response. Those are the covenant of UU.

Sounds simple enough, it seems like a very healthy religion. But as I don't want to go into my labels problem again I will just walk side-by-side with it.

Thanks for the information.

Anything else important to know please do share :)

applewuud

Sounds simple enough, it seems like a very healthy religion. But as I don't want to go into my labels problem again I will just walk side-by-side with it.

There are many, many regular attendees at a UU congregation who never officially "join". I went for seven years, even taught classes, but never formally joined the church. Like you, I had a problem with labels. It became kind of a joke after a while.

It's not a religion that separates people by membership, in the way that an orthodox Christian church sees baptized or unbaptized people as having different destinies. The Universalist religion sees us all as having the same destiny, anyway. The main privilege of being a member is that you can vote in congregational meetings where they decide what minister to hire, how the congregation should spend its money, and things like that. "Walking side-by-side" is perfectly acceptable, especially when you're just starting out.

One thing you should know--Rod Serling's endless cigarettes notwithstanding, today's UUs are almost like Mormons when it comes to smoking ;).