• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unitarian Universalism & Welcoming Transgender Persons

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Spiritually Inclined was asking about this not too long ago. It turns out to be one of the "hot" topics in UU right now. While the UUA has generally interpreted our first principle of "the inherent worth and dignity of every person" to apply to... ahem, every person, including those who are transgender, this past General Assembly marked the first time where we have explicitly affirmed our commitment to full equality for transgender persons.

In fact, we passed two separate (related) resolutions. Something was in the water at GA. :)

For the full text of both:
http://www.uua.org/socialjustice/socialjustice/statements/31607.shtml
http://www.uua.org/socialjustice/socialjustice/statements/31573.shtml

So the question is, how welcoming are we really? That's what the previous thread was about, and that's what the UUA wants to know. It's putting a call out to transgender individuals who have attended or are currently attending UU congregations to give input on their experiences. We want the truth - the good, the bad, and the ugly. So please put the word out. If you are or know of someone who is transgender, please let them know that in the desire to make the UUA more welcoming, their input is being sought. You can PM me for more details.

Thanks all.

TurtleGirl

Not a Member
I have been considering attending the local UU congregation. The problem is that I'm not out yet in my community and likely won't be for some time, so I can't really provide any input on what my experiences might be if I go. It's very comforting to know, though, that transgender acceptance is a hot topic and that the UUA is doing something to encourage acceptance in UU congregations. :D