• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unitarian Universalist: Diversity in our congregations

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
We pride ourselves on being open to all people, and we are probably more diverse a group than any other religious group. But, are we are diverse as we could or should be? It troubles me that in an area with a large African-Amercian population, my entire congregation is white. As an organization, UUs have made great strides in showing we are welcoming and affirming of people of all genders and sexual orientations and their growing numbers in our churches shows that. But I wonder where are the racial minorities?

I'm sure most of you are aware, I'm not the first to notice this. Excerpt from a sermon by Dave Weissbard at The Unitarian Universalist Church in Rockford, Illinois:
We know, of course, that Unitarians and Universalists have always been committed to racial justice. Think about the hundreds and Unitarian and Universalist ministers who signed anti-slavery petitions in the 1840's! Think about Samuel May, and William Ellery Channing, and Theodore Parker, who believed and worked for abolition. We conveniently forget that Channing, the great Unitarian leader, gave up his pulpit when he insisted on memorializing the abolitionist Charles Follen, in direct disobedience to the orders of the Standing Committee - the Board, of his church. Many Unitarians benefitted from the economics of slavery. Daniel Webster worked hard for the Fugitive Slave law, which saw members of Theodore Parker’s congregation taken off in chains. Even Parker, however, doubted the intellectual equality of African Americans.

Unitarians and Universalists were active in the founding and support of the NAACP, but that really means SOME Unitarians and Universalists.

My friend Mark Morrison-Reed, who was a pulpit guest here some years ago, is the author of the 1984 book, Black Pioneers in a White Denomination, in which he traced the shameful history of Unitarians and Universalists in terms of integrating our ministry. He focused particularly on the experiences of Egbert Ethelred Brown and Lewis McGee.

I believe it is important for us to ask the question why it is that this church, and most Unitarian Universalist churches, are so appallingly lacking in color. What is there we could do to reach out more effectively to broaden our base, for our sake, and for the sake of people of color whose religious needs may be congruent with ours? It is a question which we must ask, even if the answers do not come readily to our lips.

In the meantime, I believe it is imperative that we also ask ourselves, “If we were to come here as visitors, as people exploring for a new religious home, would we feel welcome? Are we doing everything we can to make all those who visit know that this is not a closed club that is content with the status quo?​

What are your thoughts on this and how or can it be changed?

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I had posted this a while back in the Same Faith debates forum, but got no replies, so I moved it here to our UU forum. Maybe we can get discussion going now....

WeAreAllOne

do you think that part of it my be that they are more content will the religion they were brought up in?

I believe it is imperative that we also ask ourselves, “If we were to come here as visitors, as people exploring for a new religious home, would we feel welcome? Are we doing everything we can to make all those who visit know that this is not a closed club that is content with the status quo?
I'm planing on attending a UU Church, sometime, when I have time... I'll let you know what I think. I have went to a yard sale they were having and found everyone to be very friendly and helpful, even with my Pentagram around my neck :)

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
WeAreAllOne said:
do you think that part of it my be that they are more content will the religion they were brought up in?

I'm sure many are content, but I also cannot accept that it's only white Americans who become discontented with the religion they were brought up in and go searching for something else... in fact, I know this to not be true. But I do wonder if it's a culture thing that we just don't get. But I more wonder if we are doing a good enough job of letting people know we are there and are an option for them, if they so choose it.

I'm planing on attending a UU Church, sometime, when I have time... I'll let you know what I think. I have went to a yard sale they were having and found everyone to be very friendly and helpful, even with my Pentagram around my neck :)
I'm sure they were, especially if they have a CUUPS group - UU pagan group. ;) I hope you enjoy your time there.

WeAreAllOne

But I do wonder if it's a culture thing that we just don't get.
I really think it is. and I also think their History in this country has some effect in shaping the culture’s religious beliefs. By the way, I think you guys could do a much better job getting your message out there. So many people don’t even know what a UU church is! Just don’t do it JW style :)

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
WeAreAllOne said:
I really think it is. and I also think their History in this country has some effect in shaping the culture’s religious beliefs. By the way, I think you guys could do a much better job getting your message out there. So many people don’t even know what a UU church is!

That's true, our advertising hasn't been the greatest or is nonexistent in some places. I think this is due in part to us being so anti-proselytizing. We don't want to do anything that seems like we might be trying to recruit.

This is one area we need to work on I think.