• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unitarian Universalists for Polyamory Awareness

EverChanging

UUPA

This is a subject I have been pondering lately, the practice of having more than one romantic/sexual partners. I don't know that polyamory would ever work for me, but I can't think of anything unethical about it at all so long as there is mutual respect, trust, and love between all partners involved.

I was very surprised to find out about this group.

EverChanging

No replies from Unitarian Universalists yet. I'll go ahead and offer my perspective.

While I don't know that polyamory would ever work for me, I understand that humans have the capacity to love more than one person, and I can't ever think that is wrong. If a couple decide a polyamorous family structure works for them, who am I to say that is wrong? From what I have been reading, some families have had this structure for years. I see no reason that polyamorous families should not be just as welcome in Unitarian Universalist congregations as members and ministers (if qualified and the congregation desides to hire them) as anyone else.

Ideally, I would think it should be acceptable to marry multiple partners, though I'm not really sure how that would work. I could see how it could get very complicated. I will leave it to others to decide how that could be worked out. Contracts, perhaps?

In reading a blog in which Unitarian Universalists were discussing the matter, I was very shocked to see the reasoning motivating those who had a strongly negative emotional reaction. One argument was that polyamory rejects the "wisdom" of hundreds of years of Western history. Using that argument, one could argue against same-sex marriage. Same-sex marriage has only been legalized recently in the known history of the entire world. The argument went on that the difference is that gay people are born gay, but we are also born with the capacity to love others, and nature never programmed monogamy into us. Having more than one partner to which one relates intimately is just as natural as homosexuality, or heterosexuality, for that matter.

Another in the blog compared it to beastiality, yet again an argument used by homophobic people. It amazes me that anyone would ever think to compare loving relationships to beastiality.

Others described it as "socially outrageous" and an "anything goes" kind of lifestyle. In some places, a same-sex couple walking down the street can be considered to be engaging in socially outrageous behavior just because they are holding hands. Polyamory isn't an "anything goes" kind of family structure so long as the family maintains consent, integrity, honesty, love, and mutual respect.

I think some of the extreme reactions to this are coming from irrationality and deeply ingrained cultural ideas in a way similar to how some people react to homosexuality. In thinking about this, I can't see anything immoral about polyamory in and of itself. Problems polyamorous families can and do have also occur among monogamous couples. I'm sure it could get even more complicated because of the number of partners involved, and that's a good argument that polyamory is not for everyone, but it doesn't indicate that polyamory is in and of itself immoral.

Thoughts, anyone?

Last edited:

J Bryson

I think that it shows that we shouldn't get too self-congratulatory towards ourselves as a community, since it's obvious that we can fall into the same old tired mindsets and arguments that we complain about when we see them in Dominionist and Reconstructionalist Christians.

EverChanging

It is some of the arguments I came across that disappointed me more than the actual opinion on polyamory, though I still can't see any reason it should be considered immoral in and of itself. On the other hand, those were just a couple of bloggers. It is exciting to me that the church is advanced enough to even consider thinking about this issue, though, and apparently some congregations are very accepting and even have polyamorous ministers. I don't know any other church discussing it. The Church of All Worlds is the only American denomination that officially endorses polyamory. It is a neo-pagan church.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I'm not sure what I think on this, which is why I took so long to respond. Just wanted you to know I read it. :)

EverChanging

That's cool. :) I felt the same when first thinking about this idea a long time ago, but I think that is just cultural indoctrination. Other cultures have never been monogamous, as far as I know, though polyamory is different from polygamy in that both men and women are equal and both are able to have multiple partners, depending on what all involved have agreed to.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Well, it's not that I disapprove so much as I think, at this point, they're tilting at windmills. OTOH, so was every equality movement, in the beginning.

blackout

Violet.
Are you thinking that acceptance of polyamory is an unwinnable battle within your church Storm?
or did you mean society in general.

just curious.

blackout

Violet.
Well a group here, and a church there is a good start I think. ;)

People truly interested in equality of freedom/freedom of equality
should stand the ground of that belief REGARDLESS of society at large.

EverChanging

Of course, I agree. I'm just not sure what the goals of this movement are.

They are rather vague. The main thing is promoting awareness and they want Unitarian Universalism to become the first mainstream denomination (I don't know that UU qualifies as mainstream) to welcome poly-families. In their own words:

[SIZE=+1]
[SIZE=+1]Our vision is for Unitarian Universalism to become the first poly-welcoming mainstream religious denomination. We look forward to the day when a polyamorous family or individual can walk into any UU fellowship, church, or society with confidence that their full participation is welcome.[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

They haven't stated any political goals. I'm not sure how this concept could be integrated with marriage just because of all the complications involved.

In no way am I saying that everyone should try polyamory. All kinds of problems could occur if a family decided to try this on a whim. It's not for everyone. I don't know that I would ever try such a thing. But if it works for a family as it has for some, for years, I just can't see the problem.

Trey of Diamonds

In no way am I saying that everyone should try polyamory. All kinds of problems could occur if a family decided to try this on a whim. It's not for everyone. I don't know that I would ever try such a thing. But if it works for a family as it has for some, for years, I just can't see the problem.

I was ready to have a problem with that but you had to clarify so I agree. It shouldn't be done on a whim. However, if you have an interest you should try it. Best to find out instead of forever wondering...