• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unitarians in Ireland

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
The Irish were quick to take up Unitarianism. However It was illegal at the time not to affirm the trinity and other standard dogmas.
So they called their churches Non subscribing Presbyterian, but they were still persecuted and many members fled to America.

However the church is still in existence ... (all 35 of them)
It differs widely from UU custom, as it is old style Unitarianism that focuses on the Life and teachings of Jesus and the old and new testaments.
Members are free to interpret these according to their own study, understanding and personal belief.

This I find to be a very satisfying concept

Are there any similar extreme liberal unitarian churches in the USA today?

applewuud

I had no idea there were 35 "Unitarian" churches in Ireland. Thanks for sharing this information--I'd like to visit someday.

Are there any similar extreme liberal unitarian churches in the USA today?

There are very few UU churches that focus on the traditional bible or the life of Jesus the way that you describe. King's Chapel in Boston is the only one I'm aware of; it's almost Anglican in its approach...they even have their own Book of Common Prayer.

In the States, the United Church of Christ (UCC, or Congregationalist) fills that position of liberal, undogmatic Christianity. They're avowedly "trinitarian", but most have left that issue up to the personal conscience. The UCC and UU churches are both descended from the dissenters who came from England as pilgrims, and split from each other in the early 19th century over the trinitarian/unitarian and predestination/universalism disagreements. In most New England towns you'll see a UU church across the common from the UCC church, and there are some congregations who belong to both the UCC and UU organizations.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Thanks for that
I would like to add that the Non subscribing Presbyterians are very much against the teaching of Calvin and any dogma similar to the 39 articles of faith. Though individuals are free to believe what the like. there is simply no imposition of a standard set of beliefs.

Their constitution is rather brief and to the point...

Extracted from Non Subscribing Church also here http://www.ballyclareoldpresbyterian.co.uk/beliefs.htm

Constitution of the Non-Subscribing Presbyterian Church of Ireland

The Constitution of the Non-Subscribing Church was once described by a famous Presbyterian scholar as a noble document which might well form the basis of the United Christian Church of the future. All Non-Subscribing Presbyterians should know by heart at least its opening paragraphs. They are as follows :
That the Scriptures of the Old and New Testament are the Rule of Christian Faith and Duty under the teaching of our Lord Jesus Christ.
That it is the inalienable right of every Christian to search these records of Divine Truth for his own instruction and guidance, to form his own opinions with regard to what they teach, and to worship God in sincerity, agreeably to the dictates of his own conscience, without privation, penalty or inconvenience inflicted by his fellowmen.

Last edited:

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I did not make it quite clear in my OP

The Non subscribing Presbyterians are not "Unitarian" as such...
They simply refuse to sign the Westminster confession of faith.(The usual Calvenistic profession of most protestant churches)

Some of their members might well believe in the trinity, it is up to them.
My forbears who went a long way to establish the church in Comber Co Down, were certainly Unitarian, and every branch and family member stated so, in the Irish census of 1911.