• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Uniting Church in Australia

applewuud

just to add my voice to the Mix:

Rabbits and Pentagrams - Official Media Blog for the Unitarians of South Australia
unitariansa.wordpress.com

Cool Videos and Podcasts.

^_^
W R

Thought it would be best to start a new thread for this (out of the Weblinks thread).

I was in Sydney a month ago, and on the map found a "Unitarian church". We stopped by, and found it was a misprint. It was part of the "Uniting Church of Australia", which (if I remember right) is the result of a merger between Methodists and Presbyterians.

In any case, just from reading the brochures and picking up the vibe of what's going on there (we missed the service), the "Uniting Church" is like a very liberal UCC church...congregational in polity, politically active, encouraging diversity, but Christian theologically.

I'd like to hear from anyone about the "Uniting Church", whether the UUs have any official links with them, and what the state of the UU denomination is "down under"

Al Bundy

Dook Sux
the "Uniting Church" is like a very liberal UCC church...congregational in polity, politically active, encouraging diversity, but Christian theologically.

Interesting. Do you know if the United Church of Canada is also like the UCC in the US theologically?

White Rabbit

Leporidaen Skeptic
All three groups appear to be quite different. None of them are literalist Christianity though.

Creed:

Uniting church doctrine:
www()uca()org()au/basis_of_union()htm#the%20basis%20of%20union

United Church of Canada
www()united-church()ca/beliefs/creed

Unitarian Universalist
"The page you are looking for could not be found" -need I say more

I think Uniting and UU churches here in australia meet with repect to dialoge and human rights activism but they are theologically distinct. A case in point both UCC and UC believe in Jesus as the risen savior son of God, UU's haven't believed this for some time.

sorry for the wierd links, 15 posts and all. Replace () with .

^_^
W R

keithnurse

Thought it would be best to start a new thread for this (out of the Weblinks thread).

I was in Sydney a month ago, and on the map found a "Unitarian church". We stopped by, and found it was a misprint. It was part of the "Uniting Church of Australia", which (if I remember right) is the result of a merger between Methodists and Presbyterians.

In any case, just from reading the brochures and picking up the vibe of what's going on there (we missed the service), the "Uniting Church" is like a very liberal UCC church...congregational in polity, politically active, encouraging diversity, but Christian theologically.

I'd like to hear from anyone about the "Uniting Church", whether the UUs have any official links with them, and what the state of the UU denomination is "down under"
I don't know much about the Uniting Church of Australia. Here in the United Stated the UCC (United Church of Christ) and UUs cooperate closely on social action issue like gay rights, and other social and economic issues. There are also 15-20 congregations that are both UU and UCC. The UCC in the States is virtually identical theologically with the United Church of Canada. I could not find any mention of a connection with the UCA on the Australian Untarian website. Unitarian Church of Australia and New Zealand has about 500 individual members total in congregations scattered all over Australia and a handful in NZ.

Last edited: