• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unshorn Hair

I've read about Sikhism, but I'm no expert. I was curious though if anyone could address the rule of unshorn hair (Kesh). From my research I discovered that both men and women are required to keep to the rule. As a woman I can't imagine not being able to shave various parts of my body or pluck any hairs that need to be!

According to a site it said this about Kesh:

1. Kesh or unshorn hair, regarded as a symbol of saintliness. Guru Nanak started the practice of keeping the hair unshorn. The keeping of hair in its natural state is regarded as living in harmony with the will of God, and is a symbol of the Khalsa brotherhood and the Sikh faith. Hair is an integral part of the human body created by God and Sikhism call for its preservation. The shaving or cutting of hair is one of the four taboos or Kurehats.
Long unshorn hair. A symbol of spirituality. The Kesh reminds a Khalsa to behave like the Guru's. It is a mark of dedication and group consciousness, showing a Khalsa's acceptance of God's will. Long hair have long been a common element of many spiritual prophets of various religions such as Jesus, Moses and Buddha
"represents the inviolability of the human body". The keeping of unshorn hair represents the Sikh belief in the accepting of God's will. The unshorn hair is to be covered at all times by the dastar (turban) as a sign of respect for God, and also as a sign of acceptance of the belief in the equality of men and women. Sikhism preaches that the only reason one should cover one's head is out of respect for God. Since men and women are equal, both men and women must cover their heads, and since God is everywhere, they must do so at all times. The turban also serves as an outward form of recognition of Sikh men and women.
From your head down to your toes all hair is to be kept intact.
…swbq sUriq dsqwr isrw]
"…complete form is with turban donned." (SGGSJ Ang 1084)​
For the respect of your hair, two turbans are to be tied, tying each layer one at a time. There should be a small turban tied underneath and a larger one tied above this. Women must not plait their hair and should keep their hair tied in a bun. If possible, in order to respect your Kesh then a small turban should be tied.
iehY mor AwigAw sunhu hy ipAwry ]
ibnw Ssqr kysM idvoN n iddwry ]
"Listen to this command oh beloved, this is the essential pre-requisite to attain my darshan. Without arms and kesh I will not give you darshan."​
God also revealed himself as Kesdhari (when God gave Darshan/revealed himself to Sahib Sri Guru Nanak Dev ji he did so in the form of a human with his hair intact), as does the following line narrate:
sohxy nk ijn lMmVy vwlw ]
"Your nose is so graceful, and Your hair is so long." (SGGSJ Ang 567)

inrhwrI kysv inrvYrw ]
"He does not need to eat; His Hair is Wondrous and Beautiful; He is free of hate." (SGGSJ Ang 98)​

Are their sects of Sikhs that disregard this rule?
Is one a Sikh if they cut their hair--- I've heard two answers: 1. Basically if they follow God and are a good person even if they cut their hair than yes, they're a Sikh 2. No they're not.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Those sikhs who were initiated by the tenth guru Sri Guru Gobind Singh wear the five distinguishing marks (5 K's, unshorn hair, comb, sword, steel bangle, and lioncloth - Kesha, Kanghi, Kirpan, Kara, Kaccha). They form the majority among sikhs. But sects like Sahajdharis and Udasi (which incidentally was started Sri Chand, a son of the first guru, Guru Nanak Dev) are not required to wear the 5K's.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I suppose since Guru Gobind Singh was establishing an army of fighters for righteousness, he wanted some order in appearance. The unkempt hair were out, so he ordered them to tie up their hair. I think the poor in those days did not have the luxury of getting a shave.

ax0547

Sat Sri Akal
hey anupmanyav, u not even sikh please refrain from confusing people who want to learn sikhism - i will provide u with reasons why sikhs are not allowed to cut hair. guYS REFRAIN FROM LISTEN TO ANUPMAN HE''S NOT SIKSH AND HAS PARTIAL KNOWLEDGE OF HOW SIKHISM IS SET UP!

ax0547

Sat Sri Akal
Ok – here u go -
The word Sikh in itself means learner. Sikh is the one who starts learning the teachings of the Guru, which can be read in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib is called a Sikh.
Now the question arises what is Khalsa and where does Khalsa come in play.
Khalsa is the core in Sikhism established by Guru Gobind Singh JI. Khalsa can be any Man or Woman, but has to follow the strict rules put down by the Guru’s. Now this is what the newcomer Sikh should be working towards becoming.

Simply out KAHLSA is the governing body of Sikhs. Now the Khalsa are also considered Sikhs (learners), but they have learned enough of the teachings that they can lead the learners to certain extent. Also they have to abide by the teachings written in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib.
Now keeping the 5 k’s, is must for Khalsa, and this is what any Sikh’s goal is. You will see many Sikhs keeping Hair or wearing a Iron bracelet which are 2 of the 5 K’s, since they are learning yet. In order to be considered a Khalsa they have to have all 5 and be Initiated into the Khalsa by 5 other Khalsa’s (I.E. get baptized)
Now coming to the main point – why keeping hair (Kesh) is part of the 5 K’s?
Guru Gobind Singh created Khalsa, which according to him is the purest of purest form a Sikh is to reach, in order to be considered a Sikh who sikhed (learned). He has clearly stated that as long as Khalsa abides by the rules only then it is to be in purest form and keeping hair is one.
You have to know the Khalsa institution is very different than the Jihad’s, and Khalsa are to protect and save poor regardless of religion or gender. Guru established a rule not to cut hair from any part of body, so that only those will join the Khalsa who have control over their sexual desire, so that when they fight they do not rape, misuse their ability. Now you have to recognize the fact that public only abides by the rules if there is a rule otherwise there was a chance that people might misuse the name of Khalsa institution. Keeping hair is also associated with Identity in Sikhism, but the main reason is what I said above. If it was just for identity, then hair on face was enough.
Now why do we cover our hair on head and not beard. Turban for Sikhs is a sign of identity and it also works a very good helmet and also allows us to keep our head hair clean, since hair on head are much longer and get dirty easily.
Why not say this rule just out loud that is because there are cultural norms that a revolutionary person has to keep in mind while making changes.
Now why do we not keep our nails too – that is because they interfere with one of the 3 ways enlisted by Guru Nanak.
Kirt Karni – Since begging is prohibited to Sikhs they are to earn money by working hard themselves, and having long nails would surely be problem.
Overall the thing is that cutting hair has direct correlation to our sexual desires, while nails do not that is why Sikhs (Khalsa) are to keep hair.
I hope I was clear enough but I anything not clear leme know – I should have the answer