• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

US Soliders

Bishka

Veteran Member
What are we teaching kids? What are kids going to grow thinking? That war is okay?
What should the schools be teaching kids and should politics enter into the schools in anyway.

PlasticArmyMen_540.jpg

A

angellous_evangellous

beckysoup61 said:
What are we teaching kids? What are kids going to grow thinking? That war is okay?
What should the schools be teaching kids and should politics enter into the schools in anyway.

PlasticArmyMen_540.jpg

Looks like Veitnam-era rhetoric to me: a bag of coffins...

standing_alone

Ah, I see you edited the OP now.

beckysoup61 said:

What kids are being taught varies among every kid and "teacher." Depending on the adults that surround the child, the child will likely pick up certain attitudes about war - which may later be challenged as the child becomes a teenager and may adopt different views due to peer pressure or go through a rebellious stage. Politics certainly have a right to enter into the schools, as long as it stimulates intellectual discourse. Also, I know Political Science class would have been awfully boring without politics entering into the class...

A

angellous_evangellous

beckysoup61 said:
An over-exaggeration of the truth do you think?

No, but an unfortunate shift in American support of its soldiers.

A comparable example of Vietnam-era rhetoric is Kerry's recent infamous "joke." - just google the phrase "stuck in Vietnam."

standing_alone

angellous_evangellous said:

A comparable example of Vietnam-era rhetoric is Kerry's recent infamous "joke." - just google the phrase "stuck in Vietnam."

How does this political cartoon demonstrate a lack of support for U.S. soldiers?

Bishka

Veteran Member
angellous_evangellous said:

How? I personally think it's just showing the truth, I believe that there was about 100 deaths in Iraq in October alone. It's just showing what is happening.

BUDDY

User of Aspercreme
Hopefully parents are teaching their children that war is horrible, and depending on their age that it is sometimes necessary. It should be up to parents how to approach it and at what age.

As far as the cartoon is concerned, I think it quite telling and a vary accurate depiction of American reaction to the war. Most people are as ignorant as a child when it comes to understanding war and its implications. Regardless of how many people tell the American people how hard it is going to be, and that men and woman are going to die because of it, they still seemed surprised when American soldiers start falling in foreign conflict.

spacemonkey

Pneumatic Spiritualist
I think its a reaction to a war that many people feel we should not be involved in. Look how the nation came togeather during the two World Wars, Americans believed the cause they were fighting for was a just one and worth giving your life for. People felt like they were defending there way of life from attack by those who wanted to change it. In Viet Nam and now Iraq it is not as clear cut, neither were a threat to us and many feel that we shuld not have gone to either place.