• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UU Books

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I ordered some books from the UUA bookstore yesterday:

A Chosen Faith - (I've read it a couple of times, but wanted my own copy)
Articulating Your UU Faith
Building Your Own Theology Set (1, 2 &3)

I can't wait to get them in!
:woohoo:

Has anyone read
Articulating Your UU Faith and the Building Your Own Theology books? What did you like or dislike about them?

Davidium

Maize,

The two UU Classes I teach use those books....

I use "Our Chosen Faith" in the newcomers group I facilitate. It is a good review of what it means ethically, morally, and ideologically to be a Unitarian Universalist, presented by two long time and well respected UU Ministers, John Buehrens and Forrest Church. John was also President of the UUA.

In that class, I use the book as an "outside reading" and I hold a support group session every Sunday morning, so that those new to the faith or exploring it fully can come together and ask questions of each other as they explore together.

The Building Your Own Theology series, written by Rev. Richard Gilbert is designed to be done in a group setting, not alone... but I honestly think it might work better alone. I have taught one BYOT session, using only workbook one... and I was not impresssed with its style. Perhaps it is because it seemed most of the class had advanced beyond the level that book is supposed to reach. Books 2 and 3 are better, but I have not used them yet. If I were to use Book 1 again, it would most likely be in connection with a teen or young adult class.

But as a guide to a set of personal explorations, it might indeed be usefull.

Articulating Your UU Faith, I have not read. Who is it written by? Perhaps I should pick it up... I am looking forward to your comments on it.

Books I would recommend.... Hmm... let me see.

"Being Human Religiously" James Luther Adams
"Transforming Words" (collection of sermons, I dont remember who edited it)
And of course, one of my all time favorites...

"The Prophethood of All Believers" James Luther Adams....

Ok, I'm on a JLA kick at the moment... So what? Makes sense... he did teach at the seminary I am attending...

What else might I recommend....

Ah, yes... "Walking Together" Conrad Wright...

I'll stop there for the moment... but the ones you picked are good...

David

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Davidium said:
The Building Your Own Theology series, written by Rev. Richard Gilbert is designed to be done in a group setting, not alone... but I honestly think it might work better alone.

I will most likely be doing the course alone.

Articulating Your UU Faith, I have not read. Who is it written by? Perhaps I should pick it up... I am looking forward to your comments on it.
Barbara Wells & Jaco B. ten Hove.

Synopsis: This creative five-session course guides participants through a series of easy and engaging exercises that equip them to discover and articulate their beliefs, including personal reflection, role-play, discussion and even the creation of a worship event. Great for newcomers, and a wonderful next step for long-time Unitarian Universalists.

Thanks for the recommendations!