• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UU Humanists and Pagans: Can this Marriage Be Saved? Yes! And the Children Will Be...Pantheists

EverChanging

This sounds really interesting, especially since I'm still searching out a spiritual path and spiritual practices. I'm looking into paganism and earth centered spirituality. My worldview is Humanistic, but I think spiritual rituals and spirituality in general can still be very meaningful and uplifting, which is what many people seem to be lacking in more Humanist-centered congregations:

Unitarian Universalism, Paganism and Pantheism

Last edited:

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Actually, my former neopaganism led me to UU. I'd say the relationship is pretty solid (and I got a chuckle out of the children comment in the title).

J Bryson

Most of the Humanists and Pagans I know in or out of UU are good with each other, if only because they see the Abrahamists as a common threat.

J Bryson

*shrug* Not saying it's a good thing. Only that they do seem to get along reasonably well.

In the circles that I used to run in, atheism and paganism were both considered okay, and there was often some dating between the two groups. However, it was rare for someone to profess Christian faith, and those who did so often felt forced to be apologetic about it in order to separate themselves from "THOSE Christians". It's a tragedy, since these were some wonderful and kind people who had every right to simply state their beliefs without overt criticism or judgment.

On a lighter note: I Am Theist, You Are Humanist

Karl R

it was rare for someone to profess Christian faith, and those who did so often felt forced to be apologetic about it in order to separate themselves from "THOSE Christians". It's a tragedy, since these were some wonderful and kind people who had every right to simply state their beliefs without overt criticism or judgment.
When I started attending my church (3 years ago) I used to hear some disparaging comments about christians in general. :shrug:

I never felt the need to apologize for being a christian. If someone at the church had a problem with me simply because I was a christian, that was their problem, not mine. :tsk:

I've dated one pagan and two humanists who I met at church. I think it has more to do with opportunity than common beliefs. :hugkiss:

J Bryson

When I started attending my church (3 years ago) I used to hear some disparaging comments about christians in general. :shrug:

I never felt the need to apologize for being a christian. If someone at the church had a problem with me simply because I was a christian, that was their problem, not mine. :tsk:

I've dated one pagan and two humanists who I met at church. I think it has more to do with opportunity than common beliefs. :hugkiss:

Well, this wasn't a UU group that I was talking about, although one person was raised in a UU family. It was a circle of friends with common geekcentric interests such as comic books and role-playing games.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
A couple sang that song in our congregation a couple of years ago and I have been trying to get the lyrics ever since. :)

As for the anti-Christian bickering, on the one hand, I have to remind myself that many UUs come to us because they are fleeing bad experiences from the Christianities that they were exposed to. I went thru that myself. Otoh, I feel like we seriously need to get a grip. Eventually, it has to be about what we're for, not who we're against.

bicker

Unitarian Universalist
A relatively new congregant pushed this issue in the Beyond Basics UU class I recently attended: He questioned whether UU stands for nothing at all. Of course, the response is to point out the UU principles, so he challenged us to explain how UU actually stands for those principles. It is easy to show what he was pointing out, i.e., that standing for everything means standing for nothing. The reality is that UU isn't "standing for (literally) everything". Rather, UU is standing for all that which accepts everything else. If it hopes to mean anything important whatsoever, UU cannot condone exceptionalism.

EverChanging

As for the anti-Christian bickering, on the one hand, I have to remind myself that many UUs come to us because they are fleeing bad experiences from the Christianities that they were exposed to. I went thru that myself. Otoh, I feel like we seriously need to get a grip. Eventually, it has to be about what we're for, not who we're against.

Agreed.