• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UU shot in Seattle hate crime

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Terrywoodenpic said:
I am never surprised when innocent people are killed and injured in terrorist attacks.
The location was predictable,
as was the culprit.
the sad part is the hurt to every one involved.

Sad ? that's mild...........
icon8.gif

Terrorism is the most cowardly, abusive and immoral way to fight one's battles (and I don't mean battles as in 'military'; I mean as in "Trying to make a point, forcefully". To my mind, those who debases themselves to such a level make a total mockery of the beliefs they represent, or the point they are treying to make).

Bishka

Veteran Member
That's horrible. Alas, things like this happen to members of all faiths or no faiths at all.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Just a comment to some of the responses:

While this is a hate crime, it is not "terrorism." Terrorism is a concerted effort by a small group of people, normally on the fringes of power, to commit acts of terror with the express intention of causing fear and uncertainty in order to destabilize the society. What happened on 9/11 was terrorism. What's going on in Iraq now is terrorism. This, while very painful, does not sound like terrorism. It is one angry man, motivated by hate, who hurt a lot of people. Just because a Muslim was involved in an act of violence does not automatically make it terrorism. I wonder, if it had been a skinhead who walked into the offices of the NAACP and did the same thing, whether you would be calling that terrorism.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I've heard the so called "American Muslim Man" was a convert to Christianity. Is there any truth to this?

At any rate, I see this shooting as more a matter of hatred and violent insanity than as a matter of ideology or religion.

Zephyr

Moved on
Sunstone said:
I've heard the so called "American Muslim Man" was a convert to Christianity. Is there any truth to this?

At any rate, I see this shooting as more a matter of hatred and violent insanity than as a matter of ideology or religion.
I have heard the same.

I wouldn't call this terrorism. I would call it some guy getting angry and shooting a bunch of people. Sad, but this is Seattle. Lots of people get shot here.

EDIT: Here's something: http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/279424_convert30ww.html

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
First, Maize: how tragic! For all those who were shot and not just the UU.

Terrywoodenpic said:
The location was predictable,
as was the culprit.
So, was it the fact that he was American or a Christian that makes you say this??? He had forsaken Islam. This guy was apparently Bi-Polar... how much emphasis are we going to continue to put on this guy's heritage?

Tragic and very very sad.

This guy was apparently Bi-Polar... how much emphasis are we going to continue to put on this guy's heritage?
Your just as bad as them. He had a history of mental illness which could mean anything. Is it because all people with bi-polar are violent? Thats just as bad as their mindless babble. Just for your information Manic episodes are normally very happy with unpredictable behavior that endangers one self no one else. :)

IMO these people are using mental illness as a cop out.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
That's the point... we have no idea what set him off... but the fact that he was a Muslim keeps coming up! There is no need to promulgate the fear over one deranged individual.

PS... I really have no idea what makes a person "Bi-Polar" and so I apologise if I spoke or inferred out of ignorance. Mea culpa.

Bishka

Veteran Member
ALifetimeToWaitFor.... said:
No I have Bi-Polar. I was speaking of people claiming mental illness in court as a cop out.

Some really do.

I have BP too. (I'm a nutcase), and sometimes, BP can be the source. I've done some pretty nasty, bizzare and violent things in my life and once you get down to it, it was my BP with outisde influences.

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
This was a terrible senseless act of violence. :(

I'm glad to hear the woman who is pregnant is doing fine... she had covered her unborn baby with her arms to protect it.

However, it's not terrorism, it's not Islam. If this was any representative of Pakistanis or Muslims then I suppose you all have a lot to fear from me. :rolleyes: I've had so many people throw this in my face because of the ethnicity and the religion and damning me because of this man's actions.

This was a lone man, obviously very ill and need of a lot of help (which I hope he recieves).

I was speaking of people claiming mental illness in court as a cop out.
Mental illnesses are not a copout, a lot of times it is a valid defense.

A person who harms others or themself because of their illness (can't control themselves, hears voices, etc) really is not in control or can really be held accountable for what they have done.

It would be like saying those with mental illnesses choose to hurt others as much as I (being deaf) choose to just not hear or that I (having an immunodeficiency- specifically hypogammaglobulinemia) just choose to not produce enough IgG to keep myself healthy.

"The shooter, Naveed Afzal Haq, 30, forced his way into the building by holding a gun to the back of a 14-year-old girl who was entering the building. During the shootings, the girl hid in the bathroom. One of Haq’s victims, who had been shot in the arm, managed to call 911 after crawling to a phone. According to the Seattle Times, Haq talked to 911 saying “This is a hostage situation, and I want these Jews to get out.” He later added “These are Jews, and I’m tired of getting pushed around and our people getting pushed around in the Middle East.” Seattle police have classified it as a hate crime."

A hate crime? It sure was!:eek: But the hate did not seem to be directed towards U.U.s as the title of this thread implyed but rather, jewish people.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Divine Androgyne said:
But the hate did not seem to be directed towards U.U.s as the title of this thread implyed but rather, jewish people.

That the hate was "directed towards UUs" is most certainly not what the title of the thread implyed, it simply stated a fact
and that the hate was "directed towards UUs" was never stated at all in the article quoted. :sarcastic The title was taken from the article quoted with the same title which was found in a UU magazine.

Do I need to remind everyone that this is not in a debate section, but in the UU forum?