• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UU & Zen Buddhism - Similarities

A 2001 article by John Dart in The Christian Century focuses on Unitarian Universalism’s compatibility with other religious outlooks and its tendency to draw followers from other religious traditions. Dart describes the Faith Communities Today study which showed that when allowed to choose multiple religious affiliations (in addition to Unitarian Universalism), approximately 25% of Unitarian Universalists choose Buddhism as a religious affiliation. Dart also references a very similar study by John Casebolt, in which Unitarian Universalists were given the opportunity to select multiple religious affiliations. In this case, 16.5% of UU’s chose Buddhism.

Buddhism has been as extremely influential force among Unitarians and, over the last thirty years, Unitarian Universalists. Early Unitarians, such as Henry David Thoreau, Margaret Fuller, and Ralph Waldo Emerson responded with great enthusiasm to Buddhism's emphasis on individual experience, rather than appeal to scriptures or belief in miraculous events, as the basis for authority in spiritual matters.

There seem to be both practical and theological reasons why Buddhism and Unitarianism seem similar. Both have a social conscience that is integral to both belief systems. For example, issues that relevant to both Buddhists and Unitarian Universalists include women’s rights, nature preservation, and racial equality. Also, Buddhism values the sanctity of the individual, not merely as some subservient subject of a "Church" but as a member of a finely interwoven network in which we all co-exist, as does Unitarian Universalism. In both belief systems, issues of individual independence are juxtaposed with issues of community and tradition. Although these concepts are very relevant to the world outside the sangha, I find that issues of individual and community were also frequently raised with regard to the structure of Buddhist practice itself.

bicker

Unitarian Universalist
Buddhism developed from ancient Vedic belief systems, representing a philosophical realization of truth achieved in the East in that time-frame. It has simply take Western thought an extra two and a half millennia to achieve effectively the same realizations of truth.

EverChanging

There seem to be both practical and theological reasons why Buddhism and Unitarianism seem similar. Both have a social conscience that is integral to both belief systems. For example, issues that relevant to both Buddhists and Unitarian Universalists include women’s rights, nature preservation, and racial equality. Also, Buddhism values the sanctity of the individual, not merely as some subservient subject of a "Church" but as a member of a finely interwoven network in which we all co-exist, as does Unitarian Universalism. In both belief systems, issues of individual independence are juxtaposed with issues of community and tradition. Although these concepts are very relevant to the world outside the sangha, I find that issues of individual and community were also frequently raised with regard to the structure of Buddhist practice itself.

Women's rights, nature preservation, and racial equality are wonderful, and I support them 100%, but I don't think those qualities make UUism all that simliar to Buddhism. We could say that Humanism is similar to Buddhism, or the ACLU. These are important issues, but it doesn't point to a similarity in religiosity between the groups...there are lots of non-religious groups that support these rights that have nothing at all to do with Buddhism.

Tathagata

Freethinker
There is not one single (significant) similarity between Buddhism or Zen Buddhism with UU. Listing "the sanctity of the individual" as a similarity means nothing. That's not a Buddhist doctrine or philosophy.

UU philosophy is so varied and vague that its hard to pin down its philosophy whereas Buddhism is very clear about its philosophy. And the doctrines that are known about the two religions, they are quite distinct from eachother.

Flow

NONE
There is not one single (significant) similarity between Buddhism or Zen Buddhism with UU. Listing "the sanctity of the individual" as a similarity means nothing. That's not a Buddhist doctrine or philosophy.

UU philosophy is so varied and vague that its hard to pin down its philosophy whereas Buddhism is very clear about its philosophy. And the doctrines that are known about the two religions, they are quite distinct from eachother.

I disagree. Because of the vagueness of UU any philosophy can be incorperated into it and not find any contradicting issues. "The sanctity of the Individual" may not be listed as important to the Buddhist Philosohy, but it surely doesnt go agaisnt it! And if you interpret it differently you may be able to see that the sanctity of the individual lies within the true nature of his/her own Mind, which Zen states that the true nature of ones mind is Buddha Nature, and that is seen as Holy to many Buddhist pracitioners.

TurkeyOnRye

I disagree. Because of the vagueness of UU any philosophy can be incorperated into it and not find any contradicting issues. "The sanctity of the Individual" may not be listed as important to the Buddhist Philosohy, but it surely doesnt go agaisnt it! And if you interpret it differently you may be able to see that the sanctity of the individual lies within the true nature of his/her own Mind, which Zen states that the true nature of ones mind is Buddha Nature, and that is seen as Holy to many Buddhist pracitioners.

I agree with Tathagata. Just because they don't go against each other or have conflicting issues (which I don't believe is true), as you say, does not mean they're riding together. The similarities are nominal at best.

Last edited:

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
So I thought I was a little crazy perhaps putting Buddhist UU on my religion, so it's interesting to see this come along. I'm not sure about all the wording and so forth in the article, that is, I really don't care to comment on it.

Being a UU to me entails agreeing upon a set list or code to join a community of socially conscious people who want to make a difference in the world. How I come to accept the words in the 'creed' is my own responsibility and the way I arrived at that place was through practicing Buddhism.

On the list of Who, What Where, When, Why is the last thing people talk about and all the other questions are directed towards action and learning. And that is what we all do, when people of different faith traditions go to meet in one building, an experiential learning process occurs where we engage and possibly participate, trying things out, investigating.

And frankly I don't think there is anything much more Buddhist than that, since the tools and language I am using to compute it all is rooted in The Dharma.

I am able to attend more specific Buddhist ritual easily and regularly, which I do.

What all I'm saying is, that the 7 principles are an agreement and don't feel that they are mutually exclusive. And while they may have similar aims of enabling goodness, I feel the grounds and terms on meeting are distinct, neither has to be checked at the door. For me one propelled the other and the a volley back and forth, growing, learning, helping, talking , experiencing.

I am rooted firmly in Buddhist practice, however I suppose I chose to include UU because it's like having an asterisk beside my name that signifies this person is willing to hear how I connect with my sense of purpose and do good in this world.

:Namaste
SageTree

Smoke

Done here.
They are quite distinct, but that's not to say they're opposed. I see no difficulty whatever in someone's being both a Unitarian-Universalist and a Buddhist, and it seems likely to me that involvement in one community could easily enrich and deepen one's involvement in the other.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
So I thought I was a little crazy perhaps putting Buddhist UU on my religion, so it's interesting to see this come along. I'm not sure about all the wording and so forth in the article, that is, I really don't care to comment on it.

Being a UU to me entails agreeing upon a set list or code to join a community of socially conscious people who want to make a difference in the world. How I come to accept the words in the 'creed' is my own responsibility and the way I arrived at that place was through practicing Buddhism.

On the list of Who, What Where, When, Why is the last thing people talk about and all the other questions are directed towards action and learning. And that is what we all do, when people of different faith traditions go to meet in one building, an experiential learning process occurs where we engage and possibly participate, trying things out, investigating.

And frankly I don't think there is anything much more Buddhist than that, since the tools and language I am using to compute it all is rooted in The Dharma.

I am able to attend more specific Buddhist ritual easily and regularly, which I do.

What all I'm saying is, that the 7 principles are an agreement and don't feel that they are mutually exclusive. And while they may have similar aims of enabling goodness, I feel the grounds and terms on meeting are distinct, neither has to be checked at the door. For me one propelled the other and the a volley back and forth, growing, learning, helping, talking , experiencing.

I am rooted firmly in Buddhist practice, however I suppose I chose to include UU because it's like having an asterisk beside my name that signifies this person is willing to hear how I connect with my sense of purpose and do good in this world.

:Namaste
SageTree

They are quite distinct, but that's not to say they're opposed. I see no difficulty whatever in someones being both a Unitarian-Universalist and a Buddhist, and it seems likely to me that involvement in one community could easily enrich and deepen one's involvement in the other.

Excuse me for poking my nose in the UU DIR. Just wanted to quip in agreement that a Buddhist simply does not "lose" his/her practice mind you, but rather finds that relationship with opposing views and ideologies which naturally and assuredly crosses ones path in life actually clarifies one's own through the directness of the experiences. After a period, I personally feel its a good idea to eventually lose the cloistered effect that one single practice or religion brings. Such an affiliation or visitation such as that of the UU in my view is healthful and beneficial to which I may very well poke my nose in as well and experience a wider exposure. -NM-

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Excuse me for poking my nose in the UU DIR. Just wanted to quip in agreement that a Buddhist simply does not "lose" his/her practice mind you, but rather finds that relationship with opposing views and ideologies which naturally and assuredly crosses ones path in life actually clarifies one's own through the directness of the experiences. After a period, I personally feel its a good idea to eventually lose the cloistered effect that one single practice or religion brings. Such an affiliation or visitation such as that of the UU in my view is healthful and beneficial to which I may very well poke my nose in as well and experience a wider exposure. -NM-

Thanks for the thoughts NWM!

Can I assume you are familiar with the 7 principles?

Principles

There are seven principles which Unitarian Universalist congregations affirm and promote:

• The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
  • Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
  • Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
  • A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
  • The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
  • The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
  • Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.
Unitarian Universalism (UU) draws from many sources:

• Direct experience of that transcending mystery and wonder, affirmed in all cultures, which moves us to a renewal of the spirit and an openness to the forces which create and uphold life;
  • Words and deeds of prophetic women and men which challenge us to confront powers and structures of evil with justice, compassion, and the transforming power of love;
  • Wisdom from the world's religions which inspires us in our ethical and spiritual life;
  • Jewish and Christian teachings which call us to respond to God's love by loving our neighbors as ourselves;
  • Humanist teachings which counsel us to heed the guidance of reason and the results of science, and warn us against idolatries of the mind and spirit.
  • Spiritual teachings of earth-centered traditions which celebrate the sacred circle of life and instruct us to live in harmony with the rhythms of nature.
These principles and sources of faith are the backbone of our religious community.

In kind
:namaste
SageTree