• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UUs and privacy

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Practically every UU I know opposes the Patriot Act or other expansions of the govt's ability to monitor our private lives. Why? I mean, what is the religious basis for the high value that we place on the privacy of the individual?

dbakerman76

God's Nephew
To put it simply, I think its our tradition's emphasis on the individual and the rights of conscience for individuals that has led to a great many of us being opposed to things like the patriot act.

I'm sure someone else can give a more thorough theological take on it.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Maybe there isn't a religious basis for it, but simply our liberal and libertarian political ideas showing through.

But then again, maybe there is. We do highly value individual freedom of thought and belief which would include some sense of privacy. What is more private than your thoughts and beliefs? Extend this out into personal space and of course we would oppose things like the Patriot Act.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Hi Guys, sorry for not responding to your responses sooner. And thanks for responding!

The thing is, I'm having a hard time articulating why something like the Patriot Act violates our religious beliefs. I feel it in my gut, but I'm having a hard time explaining it in words.

So the govt may be monitoring our emails in search of terrorists. Theorectically, the only time they would act is if they find evidence of such. So if I'm not engaging in any terrorist activity then the govt may monitor my emails and I may not even know about it. So if nothing happens to me, if functionally my life is the same as if they weren't monitoring me, then how is that violating my inherent dignity? I'm not saying that it's not. I feel that it is. But I can't figure out how to argue it.