• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vasant Panchami

JustGeorge

Out of Order
Staff member
Premium Member
I've long known that Vasant Panchami is a day to honor Saraswati, and when I was able, I'd attend the yearly puja.

I read recently that sometimes Surya is honored in some places(sometime in exception to Saraswati, other times alongside her). I see Kamadeva is honored in some places too, and this day is seen as the one Shiva immolated him with his fiery glare(eventually bringing him back).

I'm curious to learn some of the traditions practiced around honoring Surya and Kamadeva on this day.

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
Sorry, I do not know about Surya and Kamadeva being worshiped on Vasant Panchami. This is new for me to know.

But just felt like contributing what I know about Vasant Panchami.

Recently I was on a class to learn 'Srividya' sadhana. Goddess Varahi plays a vital role in SriVidya sadhana. And Vasant Panchami is very special for her.

If you are interested in knowing further about Varahi, she is the commander-in-chief of goddess Lalitha Tripurasundari Devi, who is said to be at the heart of srividya tantra, worshiped usually via the SriYantra. This branch of Hinduism pertains to Shaktam.

Please discard my reply if this does not interest you much.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I've long known that Vasant Panchami is a day to honor Saraswati, and when I was able, I'd attend the yearly puja.

I read recently that sometimes Surya is honored in some places(sometime in exception to Saraswati, other times alongside her). I see Kamadeva is honored in some places too, and this day is seen as the one Shiva immolated him with his fiery glare(eventually bringing him back).

I'm curious to learn some of the traditions practiced around honoring Surya and Kamadeva on this day.
Next Sunday for Thai Pongal, Surya is honoured, ironically here, as He's hiding down below the trees to the east.

JustGeorge

Out of Order
Staff member
Premium Member
Sorry, I do not know about Surya and Kamadeva being worshiped on Vasant Panchami. This is new for me to know.

But just felt like contributing what I know about Vasant Panchami.

Recently I was on a class to learn 'Srividya' sadhana. Goddess Varahi plays a vital role in SriVidya sadhana. And Vasant Panchami is very special for her.

If you are interested in knowing further about Varahi, she is the commander-in-chief of goddess Lalitha Tripurasundari Devi, who is said to be at the heart of srividya tantra, worshiped usually via the SriYantra. This branch of Hinduism pertains to Shaktam.

Please discard my reply if this does not interest you much.
That's interesting! Thank you! :)
Next Sunday for Thai Pongal, Surya is honoured, ironically here, as He's hiding down below the trees to the east.
Little by little, he'll be coming back... though the temperatures sure won't reflect that.

JustGeorge

Out of Order
Staff member
Premium Member
Going to -30 C here by the end of the week. -17 right now. About time too. It was the second warmest December on record.
We're actually too warm. Its cold... but we need snow, badly. The creek I once swam in(and couldn't touch my feet in) is now so shallow my very short 5 year old can walk across it.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
We're actually too warm. Its cold... but we need snow, badly. The creek I once swam in(and couldn't touch my feet in) is now so shallow my very short 5 year old can walk across it.
We need snow too. So far this year we've had less than half an inch, and you can still walk on grass. Guys were riding motorcycles just last week. But we have 7 inches predicted for Tuesday, TG.

JustGeorge

Out of Order
Staff member
Premium Member
We need snow too. So far this year we've had less than half an inch, and you can still walk on grass. Guys were riding motorcycles just last week. But we have 7 inches predicted for Tuesday, TG.
We've got some predicted for Tuesday, too.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Don't go by predictions. The weather is very uncertain these days. We have had snow in Himalayan region but no winter rains which would have gladdened the hearts of farmers. Delhi is having its cold spell, but @Vinayaka would find it very very warm and pleasant. Min 7 C, Max 16 C. We sometime put our heaters on. :)

For Vasant Panchami: 5 things to know about Vasant Panchami (all valid)

As for the date, I think it is a miscalculation of the Spring Equinox. The distortion is because of changing from the old asterism system to zodiac system when different people had different views on it. Same reason for a different date for Thai Pongal.