• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Views of Hell: Muslims, Jews and Christians

Uldin

Hey all!
I was curious to know what all adherents of Abrahamic religions thought of the concept of Hell, and what they thought it was like. Hence your arguments may be both scriptural and/or merely the fruit of your imagination.

I'll start with my own view. I hold the theory of the Seventh Day Adventists (without being one), that is, annihilationism. I believe that those who will not be saved will be destroyed, rather than being tormented forever. What do you think? (if you're interested in the portions of scripture I rely on to support my point, just ask)
Peace :)

Uldin

There is no hell in judaism.
Really? How about this verse from the book of Daniel:

Daniel 12:2

Multitudes who sleep in the dust of the earth will awake: some to everlasting life, others to shame and everlasting contempt.

gnostic

The Lost One
uldin said:

Multitudes who sleep in the dust of the earth will awake: some to everlasting life, others to shame and everlasting contempt.

Have you read the rest of the chapter?

It's speak about the END TIME, but it is utterly meaningless and gibberish.

Daniel asked the question of when it will happen, and the angel replied:

Daniel 12:2 said:
The man clothed in linen, who was above the waters of the river, lifted his right hand and his left hand toward heaven, and I heard him swear by him who lives forever, saying, "It will be for a time, times and half a time. When the power of the holy people has been finally broken, all these things will be completed."

Which is what exactly?

A year? Two and half year?

And then we given that abomination (no sacrifice) and desolation will last for 1290 days (3.53 years), and those who survived will be blessed 1339 days (3.66 years). I find that it is strange that this never happen. It should have happened in Daniel's lifetime, wouldn't you say?

So what does it mean?

It is somehow related to the temple of Jerusalem. There have been no sacrifice indeed, when these people are in exile in Babylon, once the temple were destroyed when Jerusalem was captured. But they stayed in Babylonian captivity a lot longer than 3 years.

In any case, your quote doesn't indicate hell of any sort. It sounds more religious rhetoric than anything else, where people can interpret it to mean anything.

But getting back to the topic of hell. No, the Judaic sheol have nothing to do with the hell which Christianity or Islam teaches or believe in.

Last edited:

Green Kepi

I agree with 'gnostic'. What does the word "contempt" have to do with "everlasting punishment"? Nothing. Besides...Mark 13:19 is a quote from Daniel 12:1 - talking about the destruction of Jerusalem. Then later in the NT...because of what Jesus had said...Christians left Jerusalem (The writer, Eusebius, says they went to Pella). Also...when the end of this world comes...Christians will escape again. So...Daniel is talking about the end of times for Jerusalem and for the end of the world too. Nothing is describing the picture painted of hell by 'Dante's Inferno'....

Levite

Higher and Higher

In the Talmud, Rabbi Yehoshua explains that this verse is actually a metaphor describing the redemption of the Exiles at the coming of the messiah: those who are worthy will follow the messiah out of exile, in return to the Land of Israel, and those who are unworthy will refuse, clinging to the sins that they came to love while in exile, and will not be redeemed by the messiah's coming.

Sorry, but Jews still don't have a universal doctrine of Hell. Although some choose to adopt a doctrine of something approximating Purgatory; but this is not dogmatically required.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
we also have no hell in our teachings

hell is the grave according to scripture

gnostic

The Lost One
The sheol in which Christians (and Muslims) had derived their hell from, is different to what the Judaism teaches. Sheol is the afterlife for the dead, yes. Sheol is neither heaven nor hell, as the way Muslims and Christians portray them.

It is not a place of eternal damnation and torment. Nor it a place where they are being judged.

This is where it differed from Christian and Islamic dogma or teaching.

To Judaism, heaven is abode of the god and for the angels, not for the human spirits, with possibly a few exception, like Enoch and Elijah, but that's mere speculation on my part. All we know in Genesis and 2 Kings 2 is that they were taken by God. But we don't know for certain if these 2 prophets dwell in heaven with God, because it doesn't say.

For Enoch, we have few non-canonical narratives that Enoch did ascend. Sources include the books of Enoch and the Book of Jubilees, some references to Enoch in rabbinical literature. In fact, the fallen angels in the 2 Enoch (if I remember this correctly), were punished and imprison in the 2nd heaven, not in hell.