• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Violence in media - does it make kids violent

SoulTYPE

Personally, I think this a load of BS. IN MY OPINION, kids don't get these "ideas" from video games. (Plug time) As "House of the Dead" champion in 1998, I could go into the arcade and play that game on a daily basis. Am I violent? No. I also play alot of those Castlevania games (jewscout might know them). Whipping Skeletons, and Killing Dracula.
Am I violent? No.

It's just like Horror movies. I have been watching Evil Dead and friday the 13th since I was 8. Now, 20 years later, I still watch these movies. And I am still not violent.

Enough about me. What do YOU people think?

Watcher

The Gunslinger
SoulTYPE01 said:
Am I violent? No.
:sarcastic .....Lol, just kidding, I don't think you're violent. I don't think that video games are what make kids more violent nowadays either. If a kid loses it and eiter kills himself, or takes a gun to school, I don't think video games inspire this. This is a result of peer pressure, and the other crap kids have to put up with at school.

SoulTYPE

Anyways, back on topic. you were right about the Peer pressure thing. I have known a boy to suicide from others giving him a hard time. He never played one violent game r watch horror movies..

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Actually , I think that violent games can be a release for stress . However , too much violent may not be a good thing neither . :) It can desensitizes you . How's that for a non-answer ? ;)

jewscout

Religious Zionist
I remember when Columbine happened. Everyone was blaming the music, or the games, or the movies they were in to. I remember it strikingly because i used to dress just like the "Trenchcoat Mafia", in fact after Columbine that's the way i was described by many people. But i think the Chris Rock said it best..."Whatever happened to crazy? Can't nobody be crazy anymore???"
I don't think violent games or shows or movies make children violent. I mean how many kids went out and tortured people after watching The Passion???

robtex

Veteran Member
I don't' watch much tv but I would think it wouldn't matter if the movie was violent or not nearly as much as it would if the movie or tv petitioned or positioned itself as a beacon for morality within the confines of that show. What I mean is that if the movie or tv was violent but came across as entertainment it may have a lessened impact over a movie that had a specific moral agenda to propogate and did so through the positive portrali of violence as a feasable solution to conflict. Bush's campaign for promoting his war Iraq is an example of that. He positioned it as such that the violence instigated by american troops was a morally applicable solution over passive negociation via the parameters he felt (and or presented) existed.

A tv show that is fiction can have a similar impact if it is projected as a tool propogating violent morality.

skills101

Vicar of Christ
SoulTYPE01 said:
Personally, I think this a load of BS.
I agree. I think it comes from some sort of abuse the child explained in his or her childhood. Whether it be physical, sexual, neglect, etc., chances are, unless you get help quickly, it's gonna be bottled up throughout your life.

As for peer pressure, it happens to everyone. Everyone, at one time or another, but only a small few act on it. I've known people who were beat up on every day, but they've just went on living life. There has to be something else affecting you.

SoulTYPE

I turn to these media topics to escape from the depression or stress this world can lay one one's path.

The other day I was watching a horror movie (Halloween H20) and the Myers dude had someone hanging in the air with a knife. I laughed at it and my dad said "That's sad that you think it is funny". Still, most "horrors" (not to be confused with crap movies like Scream, or I know what you did last summer)these days aren't meant for the intention of SCARING people. They are made to entertain. I say, if you don't like it, or are offended by it, don't watch it.