• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Virtual storyteller?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
They are now calling comic books graphic novels. Would calling some video games virtual storytellers be appropriate?

Gaming's answer to Saving Private Ryan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQoJR893uhM

Nah, I don't reckon.
There's an interactive component that seems to neglect.
Even story driven games aren't really storytellers in the way that implies.

I dunno, I think to some degree this will become a non-issue naturally, eventually.
I'm almost 40. Most people my age that I deal with either see games as frivolous, or as fine. Don't come across too many people my age or younger who see them as the devil's work.
I hazard a guess this is due to exposure. From primary school, my generation were provided computers, and given exposure to games (where I live...obviously that's not universal). They're not strange or alien. You just like them or not. See them as valuable, or a time waster.

Much the same as the older generation were with movies, perhaps?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Interactive stories would be more appropriate for those with a more narrative focus, but I see no reason why the term "video game" should go away. In any case, there's already a type of interactive story with its own name: visual novel.

After all, we still call board games, board games. Sometimes the word "tabletop" is used in place of "board", to include other types like card games or RPGs, but "game" is still the final term.

What I would rather see, is removing the connotation of "childish activity" from the term "game". Thankfully, I see this happening.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Interactive stories would be more appropriate for those with a more narrative focus, but I see no reason why the term "video game" should go away. In any case, there's already a type of interactive story with its own name: visual novel.

After all, we still call board games, board games. Sometimes the word "tabletop" is used in place of "board", to include other types like card games or RPGs, but "game" is still the final term.

What I would rather see, is removing the connotation of "childish activity" from the term "game". Thankfully, I see this happening.

Yeah, I think this makes sense.
People need to broaden their horizon on games.
Not sure anyone sees Scrabble, Poker, Mahjong or Monopoly as childish, for example.