• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wagner Group can only afford to throw soldiers into Bakhmut's 'meat grinder' for another 2 months before it runs out of men, Ukrainian commander says

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

• The Wagner Group will exhaust itself in Bakhmut within two months, a Ukrainian commander said.
  • That's if it doesn't change its "human wave" tactics first, according to Col. Serhiy Cherevaty.
  • The mercenary group has reportedly been forced to draw from its elite troops in recent weeks.

"Being a terrorist organization, they [Wagner] use coercion methods," Cherevaty added, saying that its troops fight "under threat of execution."

The intense, months-long battle in Bakhmut, which has been fought on the Russian side primarily by the private military group, has been described as a "meat grinder."

As that battle continues, I saw another article which indicates high rates of alcoholism among the Russian troops: Drinking is killing Russian troops, according to UK intel. Widespread alcoholism during the first Crimean War 150 years ago resulted in Russia's defeat.

• Alcohol could have influenced the defeat of Russia during the 1853 Crimean War.
  • As Russia fights in Ukraine, alcohol abuse is again becoming a concern.
  • A historian told Insider that drinking and the Russian military have a long history.

I remember reading about how (in the Soviet era) they used to take antifreeze and pour it through bread, and then drink it to get drunk.

The Crimean War would become another example of the county's war drinking problem cataloged in the annals of Russian history. Another example Schrad writes about includes the Russo-Japanese War, which Japan won despite being heavily outnumbered. Schrad cites a St. Petersburg newspaper writing, "the Japanese found several thousand Russian soldiers so dead drunk that they were able to bayonet them like so many pigs."

Although not the sole reason that these wars were lost, Schrad argues that vodka played a significant part in Russia's failures.

During World War I, the Tsar instituted Prohibition that lasted until Joseph Stalin took power, but Schrad writes of riots over conscription and looting of liquor stores, warehouses, and distilleries.

Drinking and military history have always been entwined — the practice fueled by myths that drinking would grant soldiers courage — but Schrad argues that Russia has a particularly unique history with drinking that follows many through lines, particularly the country's history dominating the vodka trade, and the Russian conscription system, a relic of the 17th-century ruler Peter the Great.

Why does it matter now? A recent UK defense ministry intelligence update reported that many Russian troops are dying in Ukraine due to non-combat issues such as alcohol consumption, among other things. The death toll among Russian troops is now two times that of their opponents, estimates from leaked US intelligence documents reveal.

Schrad told Insider that he doesn't want to make "direct analogies with stuff that happened 150 years ago," but the parallels are there.

Well, if they're all snockered, I guess that would explain a lot.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Hey, speaking of snockered, or schnonkered as I'd say it (but I digress), did you know that the lifespan of pirates, once they became pirates, was about three years? That's because they were literally drunk during so many battles that they'd just get killed. Here's hoping they didn't feel much! Cheers!

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

As that battle continues, I saw another article which indicates high rates of alcoholism among the Russian troops: Drinking is killing Russian troops, according to UK intel. Widespread alcoholism during the first Crimean War 150 years ago resulted in Russia's defeat.

I remember reading about how (in the Soviet era) they used to take antifreeze and pour it through bread, and then drink it to get drunk.

Well, if they're all snockered, I guess that would explain a lot.

Well, it is more complex than that, because human wave attacks while "not nice" can work in some cases.