• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Jesus Eaten By Dogs?

CynthiaCypher

When a person died on the cross, the Roman would often leave the body on the cross to rot and the carcass would be eaten by scavenger birds.

Sometimes they would take the body down and throw it either in a shallow common grave or a trash heap where the carcass would be eaten by wild dogs and vultures. Never in any other accounts of crucifixion have the Roman let a common criminal be taken down and buried. The whole thing was to be as cruel and horrible, to not only to punish the criminal but to show the subject people that this is what could happen to them if they got on the wrong side of Rome.

The death was meant to be as humiliating as possible, the criminal was considered trash and treated as such, so why would the Romans treat Jesus' carcass any different?

So was Jesus actually buried in the tomb of a wealthy man or did the Romans treat him like every other rabble rouser and just dump his body in the trash and let it be eaten by dogs?

Last edited:

Super Universe

Defender of God
When a person died on the cross, the Roman would often leave the body on the cross to rot and the carcass would be eaten by scavenger birds.

Sometimes they would take the body down and throw it either in a shallow common grave or a trash heap where the carcass would be eaten by wild dogs and vultures. Never in any other accounts of crucifixion have the Roman let a common criminal be taken down and buried. The whole thing was to be as cruel and horrible, to not only to punish the criminal but to show the subject people that this is what could happen to them if they got on the wrong side of Rome.

The death was meant to be as humiliating as possible, the criminal was considered trash and treated as such, so why would the Romans treat Jesus' carcass any different?

So was Jesus actually buried in the tomb of a wealthy man or did the Romans treat him like every other rabble rouser and just dump his body in the trash and let it be eaten by do

Crucifixion bodies were thrown into the burial pits of Gehenna where they were exposed to wild beasts. Joseph of Arimathea, accompanied by Nicodemus, went to Pilate and offered him a bribe for Jesus body. Pilate would not accept the bribe but signed the body over to them.

Representatives of the Jewish Sanhedrin were present when the Roman guard took Jesus body down, Joseph showed the Roman's the order from Pilate so they gave the body to Joseph. The Sanhedrin representatives complained and tried to actually take the body by force but the Roman Centurion ordered his men to his side with drawn swords.

By law, crucified persons could not be buried in Jewish cemetary. So they decided to bury Jesus in Joseph's family tomb. After the body was prepared Roman soldiers actually helped move the doorstone in place.

Celestial beings then abrogated time and decomposed the body instantly.

The bible does explain this but like most of it's explanations it's not exactly correct and not detailed enough.

Jesus was never on the wrong side of Rome. The Sanhedrin sentenced Him to death for "Deceiving the people, Advocating destroying the temple, and teaching magic."

elmarna

While the tratment in roam was acted upon by their beliefs with no thought to that of any body elses... It is said Jesus (PBUH) had a support system in place to insure their belifs were acted upon. He was indeed a jew and may have jewish simpathizers as well.
With that being said - it is likely ( not a truth) that he was spared the acts of the romans with the kindness and caring peoples who saw it wise to respond to the body against the seeing to of rome. Not a act of defience, but a course of action to see their beliefs come to life and reassure their service.

CynthiaCypher

what i find to be interesting is that jesus' being buried is speculation as well
I know. The Romans rarely let a crucified criminal have a proper burial, they usually just dumped the body,only if the criminals family could recover the body from the trash heap would they, and there wouldn't be much of a body left either.

CynthiaCypher

And you would like that because it lets you think that you are somehow better than He was?

My motive is simply to find out what really happened. To separate the facts from the fiction, if you want to believe that a 1st century apocalyptic fire and brimstone cult leader was some sort of super-enlightened being from outer space then so be it. I just want the truth rather than myth

Super Universe

Defender of God
My motive is simply to find out what really happened. To separate the facts from the fiction, if you want to believe that a 1st century apocalyptic fire and brimstone cult leader was some sort of super-enlightened being from outer space then so be it. I just want the truth rather than myth

No, your motive is NOT to simply find out what happened. I don't have a problem with you reading Cossan or whoever but you take the bad things others say and bring them here as if you can degrade believers idea of Jesus. You can't. Ever.

When have you ever posted a good thing Jesus may have done or said? Have you started a discussion about the incredible concept of forgiveness? Never.

waitasec

Veteran Member
No, your motive is NOT to simply find out what happened. I don't have a problem with you reading Cossan or whoever but you take the bad things others say and bring them here as if you can degrade believers idea of Jesus. You can't. Ever.

When have you ever posted a good thing Jesus may have done or said? Have you started a discussion about the incredible concept of forgiveness? Never.

you are out of line...
you don't know anything about this person.