• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Was Sathya Sai Baba an African?

Marble

Rolling Marble
SI_20110822.jpg

I ask because I never saw a picture of an Indian with such hair.
There is a Soth Asian ethnic group of African descend called Siddi, so Africans do exist in India.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
One of the several routes humans took migrating out of Africa was the "southern route"... southwest Asia, south Asia, southeast Asia, and to Indonesia and Australia via a landbridge. Other routes were the "northwestern route" and "northeastern route".

Btw, ever see Ravi Shankar when he was young? At the end of the video you can see how wild his hair was. He was probably in his early 50s then.

Concert for Bangladesh--Indian Music Section - YouTube

Btw, this piece, Bangla Dhun, was my first introduction to real Indian music (excluding sitars used in rock songs). I still love this piece. :)

Last edited:

Marble

Rolling Marble
I found sites that claim Buddha was an African.
But the historical Buddha is from Nepal, so can this be true?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
But the historical Buddha is from Nepal, so can this be true?
The short answer is no; it's just wishful thinking.

A slightly longer answer is that Buddha's appearance is recorded in the (albeit somewhat coated in myth) marks of the Great Man, one of which says "Golden-hued body".

Physical characteristics of the Buddha - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I also doubt Sathya Sai Baba was an African; the Siddis are from the North, and Sathya Sai Baba was from the South East. I tried to do a little research into him, but I couldn't find his gotra, jāti, caste, tribe, anything like that. All I found was that he was born in a village called Puttaparthi in Andhra Pradesh. I did find something on it from his site, but I closed down the wrong box. :D

Wiki says that the main ethnic group of Andhra Pradesh are the Telugus. Sathya Sai Baba's name was in Telugu, and he was from a small village. I wouldn't think it's likely he was of African descent though just because of his hair. My hair makes me look Italian, but I'm not. :D

sentry

so that's where he hid all those little trinklets which he "magically" materialised, in his afro

:D just joking

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
SI_20110822.jpg

I ask because I never saw a picture of an Indian with such hair.
There is a Soth Asian ethnic group of African descend called Siddi, so Africans do exist in India.

I am well acquainted with Satya Sai Baba. He is not african. He is south indian from a tiny village puttaparthi in Andhra Pradesh state and telegu speaking. His family was hindu for untold generations.

I visited his ashram also:cool: I believe him to be an avatar.