• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Welcoming Congregation issues and purposes

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Hello my fellow UUs!

My church is restarting it's efforts to become a Welcoming Congregation. It was about halfway through the program a couple years ago when it had to be put on hold because of various reasons, not least of which was because they were searching for a new minister at the time. We have decided that it is time to finish the program and affirm that we are a WC. I have joined the WC committee and have some questions to ask of those of you who went through the WC program with your own congregations.

1) What were some of the issues that brought resistance (if any) from some members on becoming a WC? And how did you resolve those issues?

2) Aside from finishing the program, what, if anything, did your congregation decide it needed to do or affirm to be WC? For example, one of the issues I was told that came up before was that some would want to be "out" in the community, such as putting up a civil marriage sign in front of the church, and others who were all for being a welcoming church to BGLTs were afraid of the risk that could happen from vandalism from being so out. They weren't willing to risk that. What should we be willing to do prove that we are welcoming besides the plaque on the wall?

I have other questions, but that's enough for now.

Thanks,
Amy

Smoke

Done here.
Maize said:
1) What were some of the issues that brought resistance (if any) from some members on becoming a WC? And how did you resolve those issues?

2) Aside from finishing the program, what, if anything, did your congregation decide it needed to do or affirm to be WC? For example, one of the issues I was told that came up before was that some would want to be "out" in the community, such as putting up a civil marriage sign in front of the church, and others who were all for being a welcoming church to BGLTs were afraid of the risk that could happen from vandalism from being so out. They weren't willing to risk that. What should we be willing to do prove that we are welcoming besides the plaque on the wall?
Hi Amy,

I'm glad there are people of good intent in your congregation. I'm not UU, but I am gay, and I hope you don't mind my sharing some reactions.

1) For me, the whole "Welcoming Congregation" movement sets off all kinds of alarms, and so does discussion about how to implement it and how to deal with opposition from within the congregation.

a) To me, the existence of Welcoming Congregations in any denomination is clear proof that there are congregations that are NOT Welcoming. If it's necessary in any denomination for a congregation to specially designate that GLBTs are welcome in that particular congregation, that's a denomination I don't want to belong to. Why should I support with my time, my work, and my money, a denomination in which Welcoming is optional?

Let's say there's a denomination in which some congregations welcome African-Americans, and others don't. One congregation has a big sign out front saying, "Interracial marriages okay here;" they celebrate Black History Month and Kwanzaa, and African-Americans are genuinely welcome as full members of their congregation in every respect. But they have a sister congregation in the next town, or maybe the same town, that teaches that African-Americans are under a curse as descendants of Ham, that interracial marriages are an abomination to God, and that while African-Americans may be acceptable as members provided that they're deferential to Caucasians and don't blatantly celebrate who they are, they may not be ordained or hold any office in the congregation, and may not marry Caucasians. The denomination holds that it's important to respect both positions -- that of the first church and that of the second.

Let's say further that you're African-American. How do you feel about a denomination that considers offical, institutionalized racism a valid option for its congregations?

b) When a congregation, even with the best intentions, finds it necessary to discuss the issue of becoming a Welcoming Congregation, my gut feeling is that maybe they aren't quite ready to bear that designation. You mention that "others who were all for being a welcoming church to BGLTs were afraid of the risk that could happen from vandalism from being so out. They weren't willing to risk that." In that case, seriously, maybe your congregation should consider NOT becoming a Welcoming Congregation. Members of a religious congregation ought to be able to stand together, and to help bear each other's burdens. GLBTs are under constant attack from religious bigots -- especially, in the U.S., from Christians. It's a daily fact of life, and it's something we never get away from. You'll find many GLBTs who are pitifully grateful for any level of acceptance, and will gladly take you up on the offer, "You're welcome here, but we don't want any trouble." But in all honesty, that's not good enough. We have troubles, and our troubles are caused almost entirely by religious bigots. A congregation that isn't ready to stand with us in the face of those troubles, and to share them, would better serve itself and GLBTs by honestly admitting that. There are plenty of congregations where GLBTs are welcome, but those congregations don't want any trouble, and they want to be discreet about their welcome or to qualify it in some way. Your congregation should honestly consider whether that might not be the best course for you.

2) I don't know about a sign. There's something a little distasteful to me about "Gays Welcome Here." On the other hand, if your congregation generally wants to become a welcoming congregation, you really do have to make a special effort to get that point across. We've learned from experience that when churches say "You are welcome here" or "We welcome everybody," they usually don't mean us. You can hang a big banner over the door that says "House of Prayer for ALL People," and 90% of GLBTs will see it and think, "Yeah, I'll bet." So you really do have to be explicit to get your point across. Advertising that you celebrate same-sex marriages is one way of doing that. But a better way is to have a genuine and obvious commitment to equality. One way of doing that would be to have members of your congregation visibly involved in PFLAG and in the struggle for equal rights. Does your community see a UU banner in the Gay Pride Parade? Do they see heterosexual UUs marching under it? Is your congregation a sponsor?

I've grown very cynical about religion. The Beth Stroud case was really a watershed event in my life; it was like the straw that broke the camel's back. You'll find that many GLBTs are easier to please than I am. But personally, I'll join a congregation when that congregation announces it won't register any more of the opposite-sex marriages it celebrates with the state, as an act of solidarity with its members whose same-sex marriages cannot be registered with the state. And not before.

I don't mean to give you a hard time. I'm sure you have the best intentions, and I'm very glad there are people like you in religious congregations, who want to work toward being genuinely welcoming. But I think that to genuinely share the burdens and the joys and sorrows of GLBT people is very difficult in a religious setting. If the members of your congregation don't share your level of commitment, it would be better not to mislead us about what to expect.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Hi Midnight Blue,

I am gay as well and so are several other members of our Welcoming Congregation Committee.

UU is not like other denominations. And even though we like to say we are the "Uncommon Denomination" I really don't like referring to UU as a denomination at all. To me we are a unique religion unlike anything else out there.

I know that some Christian denominations have Welcoming Congregation, or Open and Affirming programs. For UU the Welcoming Congregation is not just about saying we allow gays in the front door. We do that now, that is not the issue. We want to go beyond just being tolerant into actively being inclusive, supportive and affirming of the BGLT community. Ours in an education program for members who need the knowledge to help in that fight. I would say that if a person wasn't comfortable with non-heterosexuals as they are, that person probably wouldn't be a UU because we believe in the inherent worth and dignity of every human being and we try to show that towards all people.

We also recognize that bias against gays and homophobia do exist in our society and it's through education that we can make a start to get rid of these things.

Let's say there's a denomination in which some congregations welcome African-Americans, and others don't. One congregation has a big sign out front saying, "Interracial marriages okay here;" they celebrate Black History Month and Kwanzaa, and African-Americans are genuinely welcome as full members of their congregation in every respect. But they have a sister congregation in the next town, or maybe the same town, that teaches that African-Americans are under a curse as descendants of Ham, that interracial marriages are an abomination to God, and that while African-Americans may be acceptable as members provided that they're deferential to Caucasians and don't blatantly celebrate who they are, they may not be ordained or hold any office in the congregation, and may not marry Caucasians. The denomination holds that it's important to respect both positions -- that of the first church and that of the second

I understand the point you're making, but that's not how UU works. First of all, we don't teach that anyone is abomination to God. No UU church is going to turn away anyone, gay straight, black, hispanic, arab, jew, or anything else. The point of saying we are welcoming to bglt people is to act on our convictions that all are welcome and to prove it.

How do you feel about a denomination that considers offical, institutionalized racism a valid option for its congregations?

The UUA does not view homophobia a valid option for any UU church.

A congregation that isn't ready to stand with us in the face of those troubles, and to share them, would better serve itself and GLBTs by honestly admitting that. There are plenty of congregations where GLBTs are welcome, but those congregations don't want any trouble, and they want to be discreet about their welcome or to qualify it in some way. Your congregation should honestly consider whether that might not be the best course for you.
Well that's where we are now. We don't know the wishes of the congregation as of right now (a congregational meeting is set for sometime next spring to vote on this issue). There are already many bglt people in our congregation. The point about the vandalism is because our church is in a remote area and could be easily attacked without anyone knowing it were we to do something controverisal that invited attack. While some are willing to risk that, others who had to fight hard to raise money to buy the land and build the church are, understandably, unwilling to put that on the line. Our social action ministry is already involved in gay rights at the political level and works with area gay rights organizations to further that cause.

I don't know about a sign.
The sign would probably be like what many other UU churches have that reads, "Civil Marriage is a Civil Right". My former UU church (in another state) had one without incident, but were not in such a remote area as we are.

Advertising that you celebrate same-sex marriages is one way of doing that. But a better way is to have a genuine and obvious commitment to equality. One way of doing that would be to have members of your congregation visibly involved in PFLAG and in the struggle for equal rights. Does your community see a UU banner in the Gay Pride Parade? Do they see heterosexual UUs marching under it? Is your congregation a sponsor?

I've only been at this church for a few months. I'm not sure there is even a Gay Pride Parade allowed here in this area. I know that on Valentine's Day in the past there has been a group (with heterosexuals) from the church with a banner at the courthouse to protest the fact that gay couples cannot marry.

But personally, I'll join a congregation when that congregation announces it won't register any more of the opposite-sex marriages it celebrates with the state, as an act of solidarity with its members whose same-sex marriages cannot be registered with the state. And not before.
Many UU ministers have already done this. Generally however, it is left to the minister to decide whether or not to do this, not a congregational decision, but I could be wrong on that.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Forgot to say:
For me, the whole "Welcoming Congregation" movement sets off all kinds of alarms, and so does discussion about how to implement it and how to deal with opposition from within the congregation.
No one opposes us being welcoming to BGLT people and most wonder why go through this program at all because, "aren't we already welcoming?" If I had to estimate (I could be wrong), I would say that a fourth of our congregation is gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender. They are not "that lesbian couple" they are Sue and Molly. But some of us want to push it further and make undeniably clear where we stand on the issue before someone even walks in the door, they already know that we support equal marriage and gay rights.

Smoke

Done here.
Maize said:
Forgot to say:No one opposes us being welcoming to BGLT people and most wonder why go through this program at all because, "aren't we already welcoming?" If I had to estimate (I could be wrong), I would say that a fourth of our congregation is gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender. They are not "that lesbian couple" they are Sue and Molly. But some of us want to push it further and make undeniably clear where we stand on the issue before someone even walks in the door, they already know that we support equal marriage and gay rights.
Hey, Amy --

I've been to the UU Association near where I live, and I will say it's one of the very few places of worship where I've felt entirely welcome -- not in spite of being gay, and not because of being gay, just welcome. From what you say, it sounds like that's pretty typical.

At the moment, I'm exploring the Quaker tradition, and feeling very good about it; though I haven't been recorded as a member of the local meeting, I'm thinking of myself as a Quaker. But you've reinforced all my warm, fuzzy feelings about UUs; thanks! :)

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I really like the Quakers. In fact, if there wasn't a UU church in the area I moved to, I would have probably sought out a Quaker or a UCC congregation to check into.

Thanks for your comments. :)

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
I don't really have an answer for that. I think it's horrible for that to be a problem- other (extreme) churches haven't a worry when they put a sign against homosexuals. But my bumperstickers that said things like "God Bless The Whole World- No Exceptions" were vandalised until I started putting them on inside the car... so maybe put the plaque in the window?

If you have a website you can put it on there... when I first started looking at UU Churches back home in America it was always nice to see "We Are A Welcoming Church!" on the front page.

a) To me, the existence of Welcoming Congregations in any denomination is clear proof that there are congregations that are NOT Welcoming. If it's necessary in any denomination for a congregation to specially designate that GLBTs are welcome in that particular congregation, that's a denomination I don't want to belong to. Why should I support with my time, my work, and my money, a denomination in which Welcoming is optional?

Welcoming all poeple is part of UU- to me, when they say "Welcoming" it means they've learned about homosexuality and the issues surrounding it and are better able to deal with it. It's easy to say you are for saving the baby seals- but unless you know about the baby seals and the issues around them you don't know how to save them.