• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are all religions that believe in an eternal form of hell?

EpkSceOnTcos

I want to have a list of all the religions that have hell in them because if the one true religion doesn't have an eternal hell, then that's okay. If the one true religion does have an eternal hell and I choose the wrong one, that's really going to sucks. So what are all the religions that believe in eternal hell?

arthra

Baha'i
I want to have a list of all the religions that have hell in them because if the one true religion doesn't have an eternal hell, then that's okay. If the one true religion does have an eternal hell and I choose the wrong one, that's really going to sucks. So what are all the religions that believe in eternal hell?

A well known book that introduces the Baha'i Faith suggests that "hell" is expressed in symbolic ways..such as the following:

Hell is simply deprivation of that knowledge of
God with consequent failure to attain divine perfection, and
loss of the Eternal Favor. He definitely declared that these terms
have no real meaning apart from this; and that the prevalent
ideas regarding the resurrection of the material body, a material
heaven and hell, and the like, are mere figments of the
imagination. He taught that man has a life after death, and
that in the afterlife progress towards perfection is limitless.

~ Dr. J.E. Esslemont, Baha'u'llah and the New Era, p. 20

In another place:

Bahá'u'lláh and 'Abdu'l-Bahá regard the descriptions of
Heaven and Hell given in some of the older religious writings
as symbolic, like the Biblical story of the Creation, and not as
literally true. According to Them, Heaven is the state of perfection,
and Hell that of imperfection; Heaven is harmony with
God's will and with our fellows, and Hell is the want of such
harmony; Heaven is the condition of spiritual life, and Hell that
of spiritual death. A man may be either in Heaven or in Hell
while still in the body. The joys of Heaven are spiritual joys;
and the pains of Hell consist in the deprivation of these joys.

~ Dr. J.E. Esslemont, Baha'u'llah and the New Era, p. 190

"Baha'u'llah and the New Era" can be found in most libraries and is still in print. The book is online at

Bahá'í Reference Library - Bahá’u’lláh and the New Era

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
...the one true religion...

This is a bit off topic, EpkSceOnTcos, but you seem pretty bright. So, have you considered, then, that there might not be "one true religion"?

I ask, in part, because I think it's fairly obvious that no one religion seems able to satisfy the spiritual needs of all of humanity. Even the most popular religions are apparently not suited to everyone. But if that's indeed the case, then how can any particular religion legitimately claim to be the "one true religion"? Wouldn't that be a little bit like someone claiming to have the "one true shoe size" -- say, a size six in men's -- when there are people out there with feet that size doesn't fit?