• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are the top reasons you believe in a god

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I think this thread would be better suited for a non-debate venue. I'm not sure how many people are willing to put the reasons for their belief, worship, and love of a god under scrutiny.

But I could be wrong. I usually am.
I am actually wondering what the OP wants to debate...

And was kinda hoping to sit back and read a debate over the reasons to believe in God

JustGeorge

Out of Order
Staff member
Premium Member
I think this thread would be better suited for a non-debate venue. I'm not sure how many people are willing to put the reasons for their belief, worship, and love of a god under scrutiny.

But I could be wrong. I usually am.
You weren't wrong. I refrained from answering previously for that reason.

Like @Vinayaka , personal experiences.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
  • Gods are that which are greater-than-human. It's self-evident and painfully obvious to anyone except the most narcissistic egomaniac that there many aspects of reality/nature/universe (including all reality/nature/universe itself) that are patently greater-than-human.
  • Gods are that which are worthy of worship. It's self-evident and painfully obvious to anyone except the most hubristic ingrate that there are many aspects of reality/nature/universe (including all reality/nature/universe) worth celebrating and being grateful for.

In short, the top reasons why I worship the gods is because I'm not a narcissistic egomaniac or hubristic ingrate. Most days, anyway. Both of those seem to be baked into the human condition, unfortunately. Perhaps that is why it is so important to routinely pay mind to forces greater than yourself and to recognize your total dependency upon the universe for your very existence.

Eddi

Believer in God
Premium Member
Like the title says, what are the top reasons you believe, worship, love, etc a god?
I believe in God because I believe it exists

I don't really worship it

Because I don't see why it would ask that of anyone, I mean if I demanded worship people would say I was a deranged ego maniac so the same would go for God

I think people have made up a lot of rubbish about God to suit their own agendas:

"Do as we say and believe what we tell you to or else God will horribly torture you for all eternity!"

I'm so scared!!!!

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
Like the title says, what are the top reasons you believe, worship, love, etc a god?

Personal experiences with the divine myself.

The positive changes these experiences have allowed me to make, barely underscores their significance in allowing me to reframe the way I see and interact with the Greater than Self World.

Worship is just a form of giving thanks to the Greater than Self World.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
  • Gods are that which are greater-than-human. It's self-evident and painfully obvious to anyone except the most narcissistic egomaniac that there many aspects of reality/nature/universe (including all reality/nature/universe itself) that are patently greater-than-human.
  • Gods are that which are worthy of worship. It's self-evident and painfully obvious to anyone except the most hubristic ingrate that there are many aspects of reality/nature/universe (including all reality/nature/universe) worth celebrating and being grateful for.

In short, the top reasons why I worship the gods is because I'm not a narcissistic egomaniac or hubristic ingrate. Most days, anyway. Both of those seem to be baked into the human condition, unfortunately. Perhaps that is why it is so important to routinely pay mind to forces greater than yourself and to recognize your total dependency upon the universe for your very existence.
To add, I know this sounds crass. I don't usually frame things this way because I know it sounds crass. Even so, it's a more honest. Sure, there are other ways the story can be told. It can be told in at least a half a dozen ways.

But on a gut, emotional level?

I simply cannot go back to the pre-university me that thought all theism was akin to making scientific claims about reality when in fact theological ideas have a lot more to do with existential questions of life and being. Specifically, the human relationship to the greater-than-human forces that influence and control our lives. Call them gods. Or don't. The word put to it doesn't matter; we all know we're not the masters of the universe and need to relate to the world around us accordingly.

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member

You forgot "infantile." If you're going to be callous, may as well pull out all the stops. ;)

Salix,
Watched Days of Thunder yet again yesterday

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
It's blatantly obvious, I have thought about this all my life, there are no other explanations, and I am simply being sarcastic. :eek:

First, let's consider the word believe. As a philosopher once wrote, "Only the non-believer thinks that the believer believes." To say "I believe that X is Y" is a report of my mental state — it is true even if X is not Y. Contrast this with "I know that X is Y", which is a claim about a fact — I'm implying that not only is the statement true, but that I have good reasons for asserting it. If I'm not sure, then I am not entitled to say that I know. If you ask me if I believe in gods, I'm likely to retort by asking if you believe in cats — silly question, isn't it?

The source of knowledge is experience. As I always say, I know that mice exist because I have experienced them and that neutrinos exist because of the evidence based on the experiences of others. Some gods are like the mice, some like the neutrinos.

Why do I worship? As Thomas Aquinas wrote,
Again, honour is due to someone under the aspect of excellence … in human affairs we see that different honour is due to different personal excellences, one kind of honour to a father, another to the king, and so on.
To worship the gods is to acknowledge their worth — that's where the word comes from.

PureX

Veteran Member
I don't "believe in" things I can't know to be so. All I can do in the face of my unknowing is choose to trust that it's so, or not to trust it. I choose to trust that a God of my understanding is so because it is possible, and because trusting in it produces far better results for me then not trusting it.