• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are we?

darkpenguin

Charismatic Enigma
I had a deep thought last night.
What if we are just part of a bigger being? like a cell or bacteria or something?

Is that a hard concept to grasp? Are there any religions that believe this? Has onyone else had thit thought?

darkpenguin

Charismatic Enigma
note: When I say a being I am not being so narrow minded as to think that all beings work like humans, mammals and animals in general.

darkpenguin

Charismatic Enigma
Hema said:
We are spirit having a temporary body experience.

Despite not being religiously inclined I couldn't agree more! :)

But what do you think about my concept?

Do you think that it couldn't be possible?

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
darkpenguin said:
Despite not being religiously inclined I couldn't agree more! :)

But what do you think about my concept?

Do you think that it couldn't be possible?

If you mean that we are part of a bigger being, then yes. We are part of the Super Soul which I call God.

darkpenguin

Charismatic Enigma
Hema said:
If you mean that we are part of a bigger being, then yes. We are part of the Super Soul which I call God.

That seems fair and I respect your take on the idea.
I was thinking of a more physical being though, not that I'm implying in any way that your God couldn't be a physical being.
At the risk of putting my foot in my mouth I was thinking of a more biological being, again if you see your God that way then i'm not going to debate that!

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
darkpenguin said:
Is that a hard concept to grasp? Are there any religions that believe this? Has onyone else had thit thought?

I had the same thought once. It was followed by an insatiable craving for Doritos for some reason . . .

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
darkpenguin said:
That seems fair and I respect your take on the idea.
I was thinking of a more physical being though, not that I'm implying in any way that your God couldn't be a physical being.
At the risk of putting my foot in my mouth I was thinking of a more biological being, again if you see your God that way then i'm not going to debate that!

Thanks for respecting my beliefs. Well, to me God is both formed and formless. Formless as a Spirit and formed as creation itself. If you speak of something physical, then I would say that the human body is a miniature of the universe. The body is made up of the elements and when the body dies, it returns to the elements as well. I once saw on a documentary that everything in the world comprises of elements that existed since the beginning of time. So, our bodies can be made up of elements that once formed part of another person's body, or even an animal's body. The body has about the same percentage of water as planet Earth also.

mostly harmless

Endlessly amused
Hema said:

I'm with Hema...

However, when I was younger I used to have this image of aliens bending over a test tube. And our planet and the whole universes was the contents.

cturne

servant of God
darkpenguin said:
What if we are just part of a bigger being? like a cell or bacteria or something?

Not a hard concept to grasp, since I've read "Horton Hears a Who" :rolleyes:

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
darkpenguin said:

I have heard this metaphor used often in trying to explain Pantheism.

For example this comes from an article on Pantheist.net

The most helpful way that I can imagine to do this is to envision the natural universe as the "body of God" and God as the one person whose body includes the whole Universe.. So pictured, God is related to the world in a manner analogous to the way we are related to our bodies, and we are related to God in a manner analogous to the way in which the cells which constitute our organic bodies are related to ourselves, the person whose body this is.

Random

I'm with Hema too: you can regard each of us as a portion or spark of the Divine incarnate containing the holistic whole. However, it is often easier to say what we are not...and what we are not is fancy jumped-up animals with no souls. Rational, sapient beings are godlike: and I'm not referring solely to myself there of course. :)

darkpenguin

Charismatic Enigma
Godlike said:
I'm with Hema too: you can regard each of us as a portion or spark of the Divine incarnate containing the holistic whole. However, it is often easier to say what we are not...and what we are not is fancy jumped-up animals with no souls. Rational, sapient beings are godlike: and I'm not referring solely to myself there of course. :)

But why does it have to be a 'divine/Godlike' Creature that we are a part of?
I Can't imagine that the cells in our body are aware that they might be a part of 'Godlike' creatures such as ourselves.

As I said, I think of the larger being as a biological being and not a Godlike being, and whats to stop that being, being part of an even bigger being?

Boop

darkpenguin said:

I have encountered that before. I forget if it was on a message-board or some online esoteric text.

Todd

Rajun Cajun
darkpenguin said:

I've often had this same thought.

I know Christianity considers that we are all part of one body. Although, this means part of the Church body and not a physical body :rolleyes:.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
darkpenguin said:

You should read the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.