• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What are you grateful for?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I'm grateful for @Sunstone tolerating me and my often bizarre antics here on RF. I shudder at the times that I have put the mod team into a tizzy. So, yes, I am grateful to them for their continued understanding.

I am grateful to the wild deer that come for their bits of apple. It is so wonderful to get to touch one and pat them too. It's a rare form of trust.
I am grateful that I enjoy good health and I have been blessed with an utterly zany sense of humor.
I am grateful to my mom for letting me change from just being her son to her being her best friend in the last eight years of her life. That was so sweet.
I am grateful to people, throughout my life, for helping me to continue growing.
I am grateful to reality for helping me understand that this is my last life here on earth. I intend to enjoy and learn from each moment.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Apart from this wonderful site that is :)

Seriously though, many people believe gratitude is a key to feeling happier.

So what makes you grateful instead of taking things "for granted"?

If you are a little stuck, try this site for a few suggestions -

22 Gratitude Exercises That Will Change Your Life

Enjoy your day!

I didn't read the list and I know I have higher priorities, but the first thing that came to mind was: My sight.

Years ago, I pretended I was blind. My parent said keep doing that I will go blind (she was serious). Years later-five years of today-I developed an "unknown" condition where I go completely double visioned. I used to have blur spots in my eyes and walk with a white cane when I need to since the other problem disappeared with life changes. When you can't see, it's easier to get around because you use different techniques for the same activity. I couldn't go skating and ride my bike anymore. Was depressed a whole year straight. Double vision is worse than site and blindness.

So, I'm glad that 80% of the time I have my non-double vision and 70% that I have clear vision instead of seeing half of people. I value sight a lot. Loosing my site made me change my career, some of my goals, my sister loved my bike by the way, but now I'm okay.

I guess seeing and insight can go hand in hand. I'm grateful that through this weird eye-days I had more insight in how my mental health affects my physical health. That, and keeping food and glucose tablets on hand is kinda nice.

When you don't have sight, and not born blind, you slowly become closed off to the world. I'm glad for the insight and I am grateful for my freedom. Any manner of closing my freedom off crumbles me. Not just legal freedom as per being in America but mental freedom. Insight freedom. Creativity freedom.

Oh... The list... I'll take a look. :p I would say writing freedom but they only give me 12000 characters on here. I have yet to write the book I said I would but I can write a whole series in what's on these RF pages.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Oh... The list... I'll take a look. :p I would say writing freedom but they only give me 12000 characters on here. I have yet to write the book I said I would but I can write a whole series in what's on these RF pages.

That would be a very interesting book!

:)

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
I am taking part in a masters program. In one of my classes, it hasn't been terribly challenging so far.

They introduced our new project this week and... well... I am a bit concerned. But I am grateful that my instructors have faith that their students can figure out. Further, I am grateful that insight will come with time and experimentation, so long as attempts are made. Failures generate success and I am grateful for that.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think the ability to feel gratitude is a key to happiness. Some long time ago, I was afflicted with a major depression that limited the range of emotions I could feel pretty much to anger, fear, horniness, and loneliness. One thing I couldn't feel was gratitude. I was also extremely poor at the time.

One evening I was crossing a street on my way home, thinking about some potatoes and a little garlic I had at home for supper that night, when I noticed an unusual feeling. I couldn't identify it at first, but then it came to me that I was feeling grateful for the potatoes. I hadn't felt grateful for anything in at least a decade. Yet, almost the same moment I realized what I was feeling, I began feeling a bit cheerful. Not walking on air or anything like that, but just a wee bit cheerful. Ever since then, I've noticed that gratitude is quite frequently associated with cheer and happiness.

Perhaps because of my "dark" decades, I tend to feel gratitude these days for a whole lot of simple stuff -- a light breeze on a warm day, the sun dappling the grass in my yard, a moody, cozy fall day -- that sort of thing. But also a phone call from a friend or brother, @YmirGF's insufferable humor, human beauty, the deep curiosity of the university student I'm tutoring, the folks who comment on my blog posts (they're wonderful!y upbeat and insightful!), and so forth.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
I think the ability to feel gratitude is a key to happiness. Some long time ago, I was afflicted with a major depression that limited the range of emotions I could feel pretty much to anger, fear, horniness, and loneliness. One thing I couldn't feel was gratitude. I was also extremely poor at the time.

One evening I was crossing a street on my way home, thinking about some potatoes and a little garlic I had at home for supper that night, when I noticed an unusual feeling. I couldn't identify it at first, but then it came to me that I was feeling grateful for the potatoes. I hadn't felt grateful for anything in at least a decade. Yet, almost the same moment I realized what I was feeling, I began feeling a bit cheerful. Not walking on air or anything like that, but just a wee bit cheerful. Ever since then, I've noticed that gratitude is quite frequently associated with cheer and happiness.

Amen to that!

I can sure relate ...

Thanks for sharing!

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
Apart from this wonderful site that is :)

Seriously though, many people believe gratitude is a key to feeling happier.

If you are a little stuck, try this site for a few suggestions -

22 Gratitude Exercises That Will Change Your Life

Enjoy your day!

Very good question, and I think that gets to the heart of atheists being less happy, which even most atheists tend to agree with?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

Perhaps because of my "dark" decades, I tend to feel gratitude these days for a whole lot of simple stuff -- a light breeze on a warm day, the sun dappling the grass in my yard, a moody, cozy fall day -- that sort of thing. But also a phone call from a friend or brother, @YmirGF's insufferable humor, human beauty, the deep curiosity of the university student I'm tutoring, the folks who comment on my blog posts (they're wonderful!y upbeat and insightful!), and so forth.
Wonderful, @Sunstone

As a fellow survivor of depression, I do feel much the same. For me it was Basmati rice and a can of mandarin oranges I was able to scrounge up the $1 to afford. When one is in the sorrow of depression it's almost like all the other emotions get shut down. I know I will never go back down that rabbit hole again. Once was quite enough. Thank you for sharing.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Would you consider yourself happy?

For the past dozen years, I've been one of the happiest people I know -- perhaps even the happiest, although that would be hard to tell. I know plenty of religious people; some are about as happy as me, some are noticeably less so. Perhaps oddly enough, I don't even think happiness is the most important thing in life. To me, a purpose or mission is -- and I've got that.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
For the past dozen years, I've been one of the happiest people I know -- perhaps even the happiest, although that would be hard to tell. I know plenty of religious people; some are about as happy as me, some are noticeably less so. Perhaps oddly enough, I don't even think happiness is the most important thing in life. To me, a purpose or mission is -- and I've got that.

That's good to know! and I certainly agree with you on the value of purpose.

But do you not make any causal connection, between your own purpose, and your own happiness?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
That's good to know! and I certainly agree with you on the value of purpose.

But do you not make any causal connection, between your own purpose, and your own happiness?

My guess is it has some bearing on my happiness, albeit perhaps a mixed one. When things are stalled or momentarily thwarted, that certainly doesn't contribute to my feelings of happiness. Also, the purpose I've given myself often enough presents me with the need to make sacrifices to achieve it. It is almost ironic that I'm still among the happiest people I know, given how much of a mixed bag having a purpose is.

Of course, saying I'm among the happiest people I know shouldn't be misconstrued that I'm happy 24/7. I don't think our species is evolved to be constantly happy -- or anything close to that. But I've noticed that my periods of happiness tend to be more frequent -- and perhaps even more elevated -- than most of the people I know.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
My guess is it has some bearing on my happiness, albeit perhaps a mixed one. When things are stalled or momentarily thwarted, that certainly doesn't contribute to my feelings of happiness. Also, the purpose I've given myself often enough presents me with the need to make sacrifices to achieve it. It is almost ironic that I'm still among the happiest people I know, given how much of a mixed bag having a purpose is.

Of course, saying I'm among the happiest people I know shouldn't be misconstrued that I'm happy 24/7. I don't think our species is evolved to be constantly happy -- or anything close to that. But I've noticed that my periods of happiness tend to be more frequent -- and perhaps even more elevated -- than most of the people I know.

I think I understand that; having a purpose inherently means experiencing failure- right? yet we are still -on balance- happier accepting those failures, than not having anything to fail at. Because our purpose remains, and our failures even help define it's goals..

would you agree?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think I understand that; having a purpose inherently means experiencing failure- right? yet we are still -on balance- happier accepting those failures, than not having anything to fail at. Because our purpose remains, and our failures even help define it's goals..

would you agree?

Makes some sense to me.

Jumi

Gratitude is normal when we are happy. It makes sense then that being grateful for little things in life increases happiness.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
A lot of gratitude comes down to "is the glass half full or half empty" because life seldom is purely good or bad, joy or sorrow. A few of my closer friends think I've had an unusually hard life in some ways, but I don't see it that way. To me, the glass is half full, so to speak, and I'm grateful for that.