• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What causes military Dictatorships?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
In your own words please. I hope to profit from your wisdom. :)
NorthKorea_zps255af1ff.jpg

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist
Lack of a multi-system government that utilizes checks and balances at least somewhat properly.
That's my basic read on it, anyways.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Depends on the individual country. Military dictatorships sometimes arise out of a need to restore order, sometimes it's a grab for power, so on and so forth.

Brickjectivity

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Theoretically it results from a culture of graft, which results from encouraging people to lie. You encourage all of the management to lie, and you get this "Well there's nothing I can do" attitude where everybody accepts the concept of bribery. Nobodey wants to blow the whistle anymore, and the worm works its way into the military. Then all it takes is one willing dictator and one willing military leader.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Do you think America will ever become a military Dictatorship?
All states have the potential to become Military Dictatorships. I find it unlikely that it would happen in America, simply because I don't see the Military gaining anything from the deal. They'd just have a whole lot more **** to do with little in the way of reward for it.

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist
Don't you think poverty and humiliation plays a huge role?

I'm not sure how, but I welcome any knowledge you are willing to pass over.

It would play a huge role in turning over a military dictatorship, I think.
Really the problem lies with the level of education and progressive ideals of the common folk.
The common people have always had the most power, when unified that is.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Theoretically it results from a culture of graft, which results from encouraging people to lie. You encourage all of the management to lie, and you get this "Well there's nothing I can do" attitude where everybody accepts the concept of bribery. Nobodey wants to blow the whistle anymore, and the worm works its way into the military. Then all it takes is one willing dictator and one willing military leader.

Just to re-iterate what @Nietzsche already said, there are various reasons for military dictatorships, so I'd suggest caution when suggesting 'a reason'.
Fiji, Thailand and Berkina Faso are all quite different in terms of 'cause'.

(Not that they're all currently military dictatorships, but just in terms of recent history)