• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What comfort does the world have to offer?

Tiapan

Grumpy Old Man
Considering we are simply a complex arrangement of cosmic dust and of a very temporary nature, I would suggest the ultimate privilege of sentience and the ability to contemplate the universe is a luxury not afforded to 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999..........999999999% of the rest of the universe. Surely a magnificient comfort that our earth offers

Cheers

Last edited:

Just_me_Mike

The last time I checked the world simply existed. Is it our error to ask if it should provide comfort to us? Isn't up to us to take it?

.lava

Veteran Member
i can't define comfort for everyone. to me, it is internal thing, after that it is physical. people who have comfort and live comfortable lives are disturbed by death. i mean, even if you have everything you need, death remains as ultimate answer that takes everything away.

there's saying here..."one experience is better than 1000 advices." i believe that. experience is the major one. though people interpret the same things very differently. better to listen, i think. we measure quality and accuracy of our doings by checking out our internal world, our minds. are we able to remain peaceful regardless what's happening around us and to us? if yes, we're doing something right

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
A man once heard about a mystic who lived high on a snow covered mountain in a state of perfect peace and comfort.

Intrigued the man said goodbye to his home and family and, wrapping his cape around him against the cold and biting winds, began the long, arduous, and dangerous ascent.

After several miserable weeks of exhausting effort, bone numbing cold, incessant hunger, danger, and loneliness, the man finally reached the peak of the mountain to discover an old man sitting cross legged, naked in the snow.

"Master!! At last I have found you"!!!! cried the man, collapsing in front of the mystic, "For I have..." and the man commenced to recount in painful detail the history and purpose of his quest.

The old man listened for a while, studying the ragged, frostbitten visitor intently until finally, with a shake of his venerable head he said, "So let me get this straight: you just left a perfectly adequate life with a decent home and a good family so that you could spend weeks out in the open freezing your tail off, going without food, rest, shelter, or companionship, pushed yourself to the brink of exhaustion, basically almost killed yourself, so that you could come here and ask a naked old man sitting in the snow how to be comfortable"?

"Yessss..." gasped the still exhausted man.

The old man reached behind himself, pulled out a huge rubber stamp, marked !!FAIL!! on the man's forehead, looked to see if the swelling had gone down on his hemorrhoids yet and went back into his cave for tea.

Last edited:

.lava

Veteran Member
A man once heard about a mystic who lived high on a snow covered mountain in a state of perfect peace and comfort.​

Intrigued the man said goodbye to his home and family and, wrapping his cape around him against the cold and biting winds, began the long, arduous, and dangerous ascent.​

After several miserable weeks of exhausting effort, bone numbing cold, incessant hunger, danger, and loneliness, the man finally reached the peak of the mountain to discover an old man sitting cross legged, naked in the snow.​

"Master!! At last I have found you"!!!! cried the man, collapsing in front of the mystic, "For I have..." and the man commenced to recount in painful detail the history and purpose of his quest.​

The old man listened for a while, studying the ragged, frostbitten visitor intently until finally, with a shake of his venerable head he said, "So let me get this straight: you just left a perfectly adequate life with a decent home and a good family so that you could spend weeks out in the open freezing your tail off, going without food, rest, shelter, or companionship, pushed yourself to the brink of exhaustion, basically almost killed yourself, so that you could come here and ask a naked old man sitting in the snow how to be comfortable"?​

"Yessss..." gasped the still exhausted man.​

The old man reached behind himself, pulled out a huge rubber stamp, marked !!FAIL!! on the man's forehead, looked to see if the swelling had gone down on his hemorrhoids yet and went back into his cave for tea.​

that reminds me of Rumi saying..

“It may be that the satisfaction I need depends on my going away, so that when I've gone and come back, I'll find it at home.”

RiverSeed

Plodding Along
When I look at myself, I think that just by longing for comfort, I am keeping myself from finding it. But just by noticing what is around me, I can't help but act, and in doing so I find that I had peace all along.

This is probably the most palpable essence of practicing awareness. By simply being human, you stop wondering about finding comfort, and start finding it.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I think Quagmire said it best..

You pretty much have to find some comfort wherever you happen to be.

There is usually something if you just pay attention and accept it..

I will take this back someday I know it..But thats the way I feel now.

Love

Dallas